Knee replacement recovery time

It may be a little late,, but have you looked into some of the minimally invasive surgical techniques?
I saw one recently where they insert an implant held in place by a metal band. It is called NanoKnee and you can Google it..

I have talked to a number of people who have had a TKR. Recovery times vary all over the place. A few people who have had two TKRs report one quick recovery and another that took many months longer.

One thing seems certain to me is that straining the joint to early and causing additional inflammation and perhaps even damaging some soft tissue is defiantly a big No-No. A TKR is a brutal surgery: cutting, sawing, drilling, pounding, stretching, and finally stapling the huge incision closed. Then the fun starts: pain, inflammation, swelling, etc. Is it any wonder I waited 40 years to get this done? Of course, the alternative is going short distances hobbling along at 1/4 impulse power for the rest of my life. No more Warp Drive for me with the current knee.

Occasionally, I read testimonies about people who have had a TKR and 3 months later are running a half-marathon. Or they are in the gym 6 weeks after the surgery working out on the weight machines to "strengthen' their legs and knees. I have come to the conclusion that these people are either lying or taking a huge risk that might seriously damage their repaired knee.

I think Aaron had a total hip replacement (THR), perhaps harder to recover from or maybe not. Either knee or hip sound brutal to me, and I hope are not in my future!

I think Aaron had a total hip replacement (THR), perhaps harder to recover from or maybe not. Either knee or hip sound brutal to me, and I hope are not in my future!

I did have a THR not a TKR. A knee is generally considered to be more difficult to recover from. Based on my experience from being around a lot of peole with both during my multiple rehab periods, it seems the knees are harder in the first couple months but end with a better result in the end. That is not always the case however. There is a very wide range of recoveries for either surgery. I have seen people get back to normal activities with virtually no pain in just a couple months while there are others who never get off an assistive device and have chronic pain for life. You have to find that happy medium between not rushing back but not doing too little either. It's difficult.

From what I have been told, hip replacements are significantly easier to recover from and less stress full to the body.

Back
Top Bottom