Knockout Rose disease

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have had beautiful knockout roses around my house for the last 8 years or so. Last year one got real ugly. The canes turned red and the flowers dried up and had the appearance of what the call witches broom. Well, I removed that one last year. I have found out recently that I may have what is called as Rose Rosette disease. Has anybody that grows roses ever had this problem. It is hard to tell yet this early in the season but the others now appear to have it. May have to dig them all up. Wondering if I can replant new ones in same area. Some online have said I can while others have said no.:confused::facepalm::(

What other colorful perennial can be planted there? These were red roses.

If you can get all the roots, it's worth a try to replace it.

We didn't know there was a disease until after we had torn out the old one (we thought it had reached a life span or something) and put in a new one.

Eight years on and the replacement still going strong, only having occasional rose food when we remembered. It's five feet tall, huge, and healthy-looking.

It is very contagious. You need to dig up all the roots and put them in the garbage can. If the area gets good ventilation, you could try again with the roses. You might try a different color, the red ones have a greater tendency for the disease. I ended up with a limelight hydrangea in the area where I had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom