Kudos to Jack Johnson

Andy R

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
I just read this article about one of my favorite musicians.
Jack Johnson remains authentic amid a sea of hype - USATODAY.com

Family-friendly may not be a desirable brand in rock circles, but Johnson wholly embraces it. "I learned to play guitar in family gatherings," he says. "My dad's friends came over. We had family singalongs. When I started out, it felt natural to write songs that anybody could listen to. I never felt the need to get more edgy. Now that I have my own kids, I appreciate even more that I went this way."
The Johnson clan lives in a modest Oahu hillside home with an ocean view and no cable ("I watch TV if I'm on an airplane and The Office comes on"). One area of extravagance: greening. Biodiesel fuel powers tour buses and generators. Recycling is mandatory at home,
His family will tag along for a world tour, and Johnson hopes to please crowds by night and blend into them by day. After a European swing, a 35-date North American leg starts July 9 in Hartford, Conn. His 2008 tour grosses exceeded $22 million, according to Billboard Boxscore, and all his profits went to establish the Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation to support environmental, art and music education. He again is donating 100% of his tour profits to the endowment.
It's really nice to see someone who has every opportunity to over indulge stay true to his roots and practice a little LBYM. There is definitely something to be said for being authentic.

I dig Jack Johnson...

One of the local good guys. If he's not making music then he's probably too busy surfing to bother with TV.

To be fair I should point out that green living isn't so difficult around here, and the state subsidizes both the biodiesel and the recycling.

But he's still one of the good guys. Too many musicians around here feel compelled to leave the state to make it big, and he's managed to do this literally in his own back yard.

Last edited:
I am sure his "modest Oahu hillside home" is relative to what he could afford and probably pretty nice. Regardless, donating 100% of your tour profits is a pretty selfless act.

I just read this article about one of my favorite musicians.....

It's really nice to see someone who has every opportunity to over indulge stay true to his roots and practice a little LBYM. There is definitely something to be said for being authentic.

I dig Jack Johnson...

Nice to hear that. We get blasted with so much 'news' about the bad boys & girls.

My DD was listening to one of his CDs in the car a few years back, and I was like "Hey, this is good stuff, who IS this?". Just kinda surprised that kids would like that style, very good indeed.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom