Laminate floor bubble, How to fix?

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My son recently bought fixer upper house that was damaged in a tornado, lost part of the roof and the *laminate floor got wet.
There are 4 or 5 planks the have a bubble when you walk over them, this is right at a transition to a tile floor.
There is a longer term plan to totally remodel the kitchen where this laminate floor is, but he doesn't want to replace anything now.
It still looks good, just has the bubble. The laminate is on a concrete floor.
Is there a glue that can be used to glue a few pieces to the concrete for a temporary repair?
I would like the glue to be removable when he does put in a new floor.

Thanks all.

*laminate or vinyl? I think it is a laminate, but not positive,.

Probably laminate, because I don't think that vinyl would bubble as you describe.

Just thinking out loud. Does he have some laminate of the same type? if so, perhaps he could put together laminate a little bigger than the spot that he wants to patch and duct tape the patch over the flawed part of the flooring. Then set a circular saw to the depth of both pieces... the patch and what is on the floor and saw the area of the patch.

If all goes right then he should be able to remove the original and plunk in the patch. Might be "good enough" until he can do a proper replacement.

Or just put a small area rug over the bubbled section?

Unfortunately no extra laminate was found in the house.

The laminate on the floor is the long rectangular interlocking pieces, (tongue and groove).
Similar to this picture.
Laminate floor..jpg

You need to know if it is laminate or vinyl plank before knowing if or how to fix. If it is laminate and has buckled, it is likely it cannot be repaired. Laminate is made of pressed paper and once wet, it swells and cannot be reversed. If it is vinyl, then you might be able nudge the planks to relieve stress.

I am in the middle of replacing laminate flooring in a bathroom that got wet and swelled. My kitchen has an engineered hardwood floor. I have a spot in front of the fridge that the wood has swelled too

Interlocking Vinyl plank/tile for the win IMO Good luck in your fix..

I'm suspecting it is the laminate/pressed paper, but will need to look further. I just sprained my big toe an hour ago, so I'm hobbling around, foot is in an ice bath as I write. Arrgh, just doing something stupid and injured myself!

If it's the top layer of the laminate that bubbled up get a utility knife and cut a slit in the bubble, try to work some wood glue into the slit and place something flat and fairly heavy over it until the glue dries.

Surprise! My son said he had four pieces of flooring in a closet. He started removing pieces and the 1/4 round trim. He found the flooring very tight, again the wall. We removed enough pieces to get the wall pieces out and the bubble then laid flat. We trimmed about 1/4" of the pieces against the wall and reinserted them. The floor is all good enough now, that after everything else is finished, he can move in and do things as he has time. Yes, it is pressed paper, very surprised there is not more warping, but we really have know idea how much water got in the house. Part of the roof got removed in a tornado. Supposed to have roofers and drywall guys in on Monday. BTW, if we had needed 5 pieces we would have had to buy a box of flooring. We do need a new transition trim between the laminate floor and the tile floor. We broke it removing it.

Back
Top Bottom