Laptop error message

Well, after a month of periodic rooting around Dell's drivers I finally have the Latitude back in full service. The website will eventually (grudgingly) locate drivers for you, but when you find a dozen driver files the website still makes you download them one at a time.

Ironically the driver I had the most trouble with was the one for the laptop's Ethernet card. One of Dell's "Quickset" utilities configured the laptop to turn off the card when the laptop was on battery and then the driver file was corrupted. It wouldn't "roll back" or reinstall. The card refused to talk to the laptop until I started all over again with a fresh WinXP installation (minus "Quickset") and Dell's latest Latitude NIC driver. Since the laptop wouldn't go online I was burning driver files to CDs on the desktop and trying them out on the laptop.

For those who don't get as much entertainment value from Dell's "support" as I did, it's probably well worth the $40-$50 hassle to download a recovery/driver CD from resellers like this one: Homepage of Genner Sales Downloads (Windows Recovery CD downloads & Windows Restore CD downloads)

Nords,
Thanks for the Recovery CD link. Last week our HD crashed and I had to purchase and install a new one. Fortunately I travel with the recovery disc and was back up in a couple of hours. However, I have often wondered what if I lost that disc or it was damaged in transport? You've answered that question.

Thanks again,

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle

BackupBackupBackupBackup.
Feh, a backup was the least of my problems. I recently acquired a pair of 4GB flash drives, though, which should go a long way toward simplifying the process.

I'm not sure what utility backs up a computer's driver files. And I'm not sure how many times one can make a "recovery" CD, if at all.

I'm not sure what utility backs up a computer's driver files. And I'm not sure how many times one can make a "recovery" CD, if at all.

Nords, can't you make an 'image' of the entire drive? I seem to recall something with 'ghost' in the name was used for this in Windows. It takes an external hard drive, but those are pretty cheap now. It really simplifies things, it's all there in one place. Afterwards, I unplug the drive and put it on a shelf to I'm reasonably protected against a power glitch.

Once you do that, back up your data to other media more often if you like, but you won't have to re-install programs, drivers, updates, etc.

On the Mac side, you can use the built in Disk Utility to clone your drive. I started using a free program called 'SuperDuper!' which seems a bit more user friendly, and you can upgrade ot a paid version that has a bunch of nifty features. On a Mac, just hold the option key when you boot, and you can choose any of the drives to start up from. It works great.

-ERD50

driveimagexml is a free download that does the same thing as Norton Ghost. You can make a complete backup of the hard drive. Also goggle sub windows boot. You can make either a CD or flash drive that will boot into windows, and run from the flash drive or CD. Real handy for PC backup.

Well, this seems to be the "computer" thread right now, so I have a question for you Mac users:

I've been hauling around a laptop on the job for over 15 years, mostly Dells, all with some version of windows. I've gotten used to having a laptop, (especially one supplied by someone else:D) and can't imagine retirement without one, especially for travel.

I'll be retiring in just a little over a year, and have been contemplating what to buy. Lately, I've been considering a Mac laptop, and dual booting it with windows to remain compatible. I know quite a bit about windows machines, but know zip about Macs, so.... How about some recommendations as to model, memory, HD, processor, extras, etc. Thanks, Puzz

Lately, I've been considering a Mac laptop, and dual booting it with windows to remain compatible. I know quite a bit about windows machines, but know zip about Macs, so.... How about some recommendations as to model, memory, HD, processor, extras, etc. Thanks, Puzz

1st Q: What would you need to be compatible with in the Windows world? Unless you have some specific programs that you rely on with no equivalent in OSX (but, you'll be retired!) you should be fine with OSX - forget Windows, it'll just take up disk space, cost you money, and let in viruses.

I've got Office for the Mac, and there are some pretty good open source Office programs - depends how heavy duty you need to get with excel, macros and so forth.

Models, depends on your needs. The next version of OS is due out later this month, and there are rumors of new HW before EOY, so if you are not chomping at the bit, I'd wait and see what is coming.

Currently two basic models of laptops, the MacBooks and MacBook Pro's.

details here (click on 'compare specs'):

The Apple Store (U.S.) - MacBook Pro

we bought the lowest version for DD going to college, $999 with edu discount. Didn't add a thing to it, seemed very complete for her needs.

-ERD50

Thanks, ERD50, but I will be using some specific, proprietary programs, even in retirement, that are written specifically for windows, so I'll need it. I don't need to do anything for over a year, so am just soliciting input and opinions....

Nords, can't you make an 'image' of the entire drive?
[-]Dang I wish I'd thought of that.[/-] Great idea, thanks! Finally, something to do with the pile of old hard drives laying around.

I appear to be mentally stuck in the days when hard drives & memory were low-capacity and high-price...

I'll be retiring in just a little over a year, and have been contemplating what to buy. Lately, I've been considering a Mac laptop, and dual booting it with windows to remain compatible. I know quite a bit about windows machines, but know zip about Macs, so.... How about some recommendations as to model, memory, HD, processor, extras, etc. Thanks, Puzz
I highly recommend dropping by an Apple store and letting the geek counter [-]pontificate at[/-] advise you.

Or stop by a bookstore to buy the latest Mac magazines, mark 'em up, and put them away. Drag them out a year later, see what's survived the user recommendations, and start shopping Craigslist...

Back
Top Bottom