Laptop screens

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
How long should laptop screens last ? My Toshiba laptop is just over two years old and the screen has failed . Is this common ?

I use a laptop that my folks gave me in 2005. I believe they bought it in 2003.

Is everything just really dim, but you can still see stuff on your screen?

How long should laptop screens last ? My Toshiba laptop is just over two years old and the screen has failed . Is this common ?

This seems to be unique to Toshiba, I had one die also and it was 13 months old. I understand they can be fixed very cheaply and it is a DIY project. Not sure of the part but it is what runs the light tube at the bottom, or the top of the screen. Seems like you may have light 2 light tubes. You should be able to see what is on the dark screen portion VERY DIMLY (take it in a dark room or closet). I am sure CFB or some one that know exactly what it is will be along soon. My Son did fix his own about a year ago. If it is not in warranty I suspect you could DIY.

If you don't travel with the laptop; hook it up to a LCD.

My lap top screen quits working intermittantly on my Compaq. I have learned to hook it up to a CRT and just use it that way. It is my back up computer.

Free to canoe

If you don't travel with the laptop; hook it up to a LCD.

Good idea ! I only travel with it occasionally . Apparently Toshiba laptops have had their share of problems . It's going into the shop on Monday and unless they can repair it cheaply I'll buy a new one and not a Toshiba this time .

take a look at the lenovo s10

No, Half my screen is black and the other half is normal .

It may not be the screen. There is a ribbon cable running from the body to the screen. Make sure that your laptop's hinges are in good shape. Otherwise, the hinges may be pinching half of the video cable.

It may not be the screen. There is a ribbon cable running from the body to the screen. Make sure that your laptop's hinges are in good shape. Otherwise, the hinges may be pinching half of the video cable.

How do I get to the video cable ?

Oh, sorry, I didn't say that you can fix it. You can giggle the screen around a bit and see if the blank 1/2 makes an attempt to re-appear. If you can determined a pinched cable is the problem and if you can get the screen to come back, I would recommend leaving the laptop open in the same position because any additional movement of the screen will worsen the condition. I'm assuming that you're using your laptop strictly as a home laptop.

If you want a small laptop for travel, you can consider the HP 2133 or any of the other net books. They are very good. If I had known about them, I would not have bought a Mac.

Thanks for all of your suggestions . My laptop could not be salvaged so I 've bought a new Dell inspiron .

Back
Top Bottom