Leaving an Inheritance

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
If something would happen to me in the next few years my daughter would inherit a considerable amount . Since she is still young (31) and my only child I worry about that . I've seen too many people inherit at a young age and just blow thru the money . Besides talking to her about it any suggestions to how I can help her realize to proceed with caution if this happens .

you could set up a trust to distribute funds in stages. that way she could have some early to invest or enjoy (or waste) as she saw fit but the bulk would remain safe until such time that you predetermine she'd be mature enough to handle the money responsibly.

DW and I have 2 Kids/adults and we are in the middle of setting up a trust. One of the things we are struggling with is whether to leave any money that's left in one lump sum or set up pay outs. With DD we have no problem leaving a lump sum but with DS he'll spend the money before we're cold.

He's 35 and we are thinking of 4% a year till he's 50 and then a lump sum at that point. We will talk with him about it when we see him in 2 weeks and go from there.

We also have an only. DD is now 26 and our wills provide for her to receive her shares in thirds--first at our joint demise, a second third when she hits 30 and the balance when 35. She is a very responsible person and fiscally conservative or we would probably, chosen a different distribution. The nature of the child are probably as important to your decision as the timing. We also have provisos for any required funds for edcuation and any associated expenses including shelter and food.
nwsteve

Thanks for the good ideas . She is very responsible but I'm afraid that large an amount would be overwhelming . I think the shares idea is great . A share when I die and the rest at 50 . Hopefully I'll be around a long time so I can revise it as she ages .

What can be the most difficult is determining a suitable trustee to invest the money in the interim. I you are looking that far out you are probably looking at a bank trust department. The fees can be high.

Besides talking to her about it any suggestions to how I can help her realize to proceed with caution if this happens .
Give her a copy of Thayer Cheatham Willis' "Navigating the Dark Side of Wealth"...

Here's a post from this thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showpost.php?p=615019&postcount=67 (#67)
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...upulous-investment-pros-33310.html#post615019

and more here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/trust-fund-baby-sites-19787.html

31 is not that young. What is it about her judgment or vulnerability that concerns you? That may help us suggest different solutions.

For example, some managers of professional athletes take part of their millions of dollars and purchase SPIAs for them. A lousy investment to be sure, but it prevents their wealthy, headstrong, and impulsive clients from going from a networth of $10mm to bankruptcy like so many have done.

If I were heir to a lot of money, it might not make me warm and fuzzy to have to ask some trustee whether I could buy a new car. OTOH, if I were developmentally or otherwise impaired, I might welcome the steady guidance that a good trustee could offer.

Our trust is set up in increments for our two daughters. I believe the final payout is at age 35 which is 13 years from now for the youngest. They will get lump sums from 35 and on...if there is anything left in the estate. :) It is also set up so that any money inherited doesn't become community property should they marry.

This thread reminds me that we really should start some kind of estate planning soon. We don't have kids and we have no idea who should get our money. We don't even have wills. Right now, if we both die, the great state of AL would be a few millions richer I suppose...

31 is not that young. What is it about her judgment or vulnerability that concerns you? That may help us suggest different solutions.

She is very sensible but I have seen first hand several young adults get inheritances and go thru them pretty quickly and I really want her to enjoy some when I die but still have money for later in life .

She is very sensible but I have seen first hand several young adults get inheritances and go thru them pretty quickly and I really want her to enjoy some when I die but still have money for later in life .

I could see where staging the payout over a period of time would make sense. That way a trustee has some control, but eventually it turns over to her.

Kid is over 30. You are dead. Im thinking why would I care... I mean once you die its ok to let go ;)

My siblings and I are all adults now. Our parents don't talk much about inheritance, but whatever may or may not come will include a letter from my father that describes his wishes that any inheritance be invested wisely and not consumed faster than 4% per year. He did something similar with college funds and asked that any leftovers be held for future education or education of future generations. The smallish bit of funds left over from my education could have been easily spent on whatever, but instead it now makes a nice start on my kids' college 20+ years later.

I'm planning to do something similar. For now, my kids are minors and while I'm not planning on them inheriting from me anytime soon, if they do my main concerns are using the money to raise them properly. It goes into a trust with a very trusted relative with broad latitude to do the right thing. If they make it past 30 before inheriting, they get the money outright with a suitable 4% letter attached. Not enforceable from the great beyond, but hopefully simple enough guidance that they will treat it responsibly. I suppose if they do anything to alarm me in the next few years I might add more strings, but for now this seems sufficient. I know the college request was enough for me in my early 20's, so I'm hopeful it will work for them.

My siblings and I are all adults now. Our parents don't talk much about inheritance, but whatever may or may not come will include a letter from my father that describes his wishes that any inheritance be invested wisely and not consumed faster than 4% per year. He did something similar with college funds and asked that any leftovers be held for future education or education of future generations. The smallish bit of funds left over from my education could have been easily spent on whatever, but instead it now makes a nice start on my kids' college 20+ years later.

I'm planning to do something similar. For now, my kids are minors and while I'm not planning on them inheriting from me anytime soon, if they do my main concerns are using the money to raise them properly. It goes into a trust with a very trusted relative with broad latitude to do the right thing. If they make it past 30 before inheriting, they get the money outright with a suitable 4% letter attached. Not enforceable from the great beyond, but hopefully simple enough guidance that they will treat it responsibly. I suppose if they do anything to alarm me in the next few years I might add more strings, but for now this seems sufficient. I know the college request was enough for me in my early 20's, so I'm hopeful it will work for them.

Great idea Thanks !

Interesting plan. I like the 4% letter idea.

Our kid turns 18 in just over two years, and at that point we were going to make her executrix of (whatever's left of) our estate. We hope that our money-management teachings are adequate to the task whether it's $200K or $2M, and we hadn't planned on establishing any trustee burdens.

I highly recommend this Nolo book on creating living wills/trusts:

Make Your Own Living Trust

The webpage says "good in all states except Louisiana." I don't know what's wrong with those Louisiana folks... :confused: :D

This thread reminds me that we really should start some kind of estate planning soon. We don't have kids and we have no idea who should get our money. We don't even have wills. Right now, if we both die, the great state of AL would be a few millions richer I suppose...

Do you have siblings/nieces/nephews? This is who we wrote as heirs. In addition, I know it sounds silly, but we set up a small trust to pay for the care of any cats/pets we might leave behind (we don't have any children either). We chose a good friend to manage that trust. We figure if we leave money for the care of the pets, someone will be more likely to adopt them, and there will never be any question about getting proper veterinary care.

Now one thing we still have to do is have the will be re-written to be effective for our current state.

I'd recommend just leaving all the money, no strings. Do you want her memory of you to include "Sheesh, I'm 31 and she still doesn't trust me!" ?

That could mess her up more than blowing through a couple of million dollars, and be a lot less fun.

I'd recommend just leaving all the money, no strings. Do you want her memory of you to include "Sheesh, I'm 31 and she still doesn't trust me!" ?

That could mess her up more than blowing through a couple of million dollars, and be a lot less fun.

Thanks Al , Hopefully she'll be a lot older when this happens or I'll think sheesh I LBYM so she could drive a Lexus !

Kid is over 30. You are dead. Im thinking why would I care... I mean once you die its ok to let go ;)

My issue with this is I w*rked very hard for the stash their will inherit and I don't want it blown in a few days or weeks. I have a stepped trust that will dispense funds in increments after I reach the great beyond. They both get a chunk before I am cold and then 10% per year. I can't monitor them beyond the grave and don't intent to but I will try to protect them from overwhelming greed as much as possible.

"We chose a good friend to manage that trust." "It goes into a trust with a very trusted relative ..." i too did that. first, the secondary trustee died; second, the primary trustee died. (third, the primary beneficiary died.) i'm all out of trusted friends and relatives.

Do you have siblings/nieces/nephews? This is who we wrote as heirs. In addition, I know it sounds silly, but we set up a small trust to pay for the care of any cats/pets we might leave behind (we don't have any children either). We chose a good friend to manage that trust. We figure if we leave money for the care of the pets, someone will be more likely to adopt them, and there will never be any question about getting proper veterinary care.

Now one thing we still have to do is have the will be re-written to be effective for our current state.

Thanks for your suggestions simple girl. My wife does not have any siblings and I have one sister and one niece but they both live in Europe (they are non-US citizens) and it makes it very difficult (and I am sure costly) to pass our entire estate to them. My sister (or my niece) will receive the money in my European bank accounts and all the real estate properties I own in Europe. Plus she will inherit a very sizable estate from my dad so she won't really need the money anyways. But at present the bulk of our estate is held in the US. We do have 2 cats and we will leave money to whomever volunteers to take care of them (we still have to find someone we trust enough). After that, our estate would still be worth over $2M and we still don't know what to do with that money.

Thanks for your suggestions simple girl. My wife does not have any siblings and I have one sister and one niece but they both live in Europe (they are non-US citizens) and it makes it very difficult (and I am sure costly) to pass our entire estate to them. My sister (or my niece) will receive the money in my European bank accounts and all the real estate properties I own in Europe. Plus she will inherit a very sizable estate from my dad so she won't really need the money anyways. But at present the bulk of our estate is held in the US. We do have 2 cats and we will leave money to whomever volunteers to take care of them (we still have to find someone we trust enough). After that, our estate would still be worth over $2M and we still don't know what to do with that money.

That sure is an interesting dilemma. Hopefully you will spend most of it!:D

Otherwise, I guess the only other option (besides it going to the state) is to start identifying where you'd like to donate to?

Unless she has shown a tendency to blow her money, I vote for just leaving her the money.

There is a guy on the boards and also on the Motley food, Pederro (spelling may be off) who has spent the last few years trying to rest control of the trust from the bank his parents appointed as Trustees. Having only heard his side of the story, I don't know if his parents made a good or bad decision. I do know he is very upset with the Bank Trustee fees and investments.

My grandfather ended with trustees for part of his estate, and I know myself and his other children and grandchildren spend almost as time battling with the trustee as we did going after the Ex-trust officer who befriend my grandmother (suffer from Alzheimer's) and then swindled her out of $500k+.

If I was going make any type of control behind the grave it would be in the line of paying for a financial planning course, or a fee only financial advisers. Heck when I redo my will I am going to require my Nephew and Niece visit this board before they make any investments :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom