Listen to Rhythm of Old Typewriter Keys

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been using this washable keyboard just for the heck of it.

The good, well, it's washable (haven't tried that yet). The bad, the tactile feel doesn't give the nice click like the keyboard I was using. Typing is acceptable but my fingers can't fly on the keyboard while touch typing.

I did find this fun (and helpful) program, called Qwertick (Windows only) that does one thing in particular. With each key pressed, the program makes a keystroke noise like the old fashioned typewriters. Also, each time I press the return key, there is a carriage return and bell sound :).

If you want to get nostalgic of the typing days, give the program a run. No ribbon needed :D

There is a program that simulates the click of an old IBM keyboard. Which I'd really want instead of a typewriter. But, that is unix only.

I've been using this washable keyboard just for the heck of it.

The good, well, it's washable (haven't tried that yet). The bad, the tactile feel doesn't give the nice click like the keyboard I was using. Typing is acceptable but my fingers can't fly on the keyboard while touch typing.

I did find this fun (and helpful) program, called Qwertick (Windows only) that does one thing in particular. With each key pressed, the program makes a keystroke noise like the old fashioned typewriters. Also, each time I press the return key, there is a carriage return and bell sound :).

If you want to get nostalgic of the typing days, give the program a run. No ribbon needed :D

There is a program that simulates the click of an old IBM keyboard. Which I'd really want instead of a typewriter. But, that is unix only.

There is a company that sells buckling spring keyboards still - just like the old IBMs. I have been using them for several years and they are awesome.

Link to company: Unicomp, Inc.

Take a look at the ultra classic model - it has a slightly smaller profile than the IBM original and fits in modern keyboard drawers/trays a little better ;)

They sound and FEEL right ;)

Last edited:
There is a company that sells buckling spring keyboards still - just like the old IBMs. I have been using them for several years and they are awesome.

Take a look at the ultra classic model - it has a slightly smaller profile than the IBM original and fits in modern keyboard drawers/trays a little better ;)

Those are some nice looking keyboards.

I never really thought much about mechanical vs not or spring vs dome.

Brings back memories of not able to concentrate from co-w*rkers making too much click-clack on the keyboards. :)

The one I had been using (before the washable) is an old Gateway SK-9920 (don't know if mechanical or springed) which feels really nice.

Last edited:
FYI, there are numerous companies that market keyboards that use mechanical switches, which exhibit the tactile and audible clicks like the old IBM keyboards. These are usually marketed as "gaming keyboards". I'm currently using a Razer Black Widow, but other brands include Das Keyboard, Corsair, Logitech.

Regards,
Steve

A Youtube video of a guy comparing the sound of a mechanical vs membrane.

The mechanical is nice :)

Janet H;[URL="http://www.pckeyboard.com/" said:
.[/URL]

Yes, the click/clack did sound and FEEL right. The sound and feel would get me into a rhythm causing me to build momentum and feel productive--sort of like helping me get into "the zone".

Last edited:

I see a possible present to myself in the future :)

Here's an NPR story (about 5 minutes long) on the IBM Model M / Unicomp:

NPR Media Player

Just as a follow up. I went ahead and got me a used ultra classic model off ebay :D that is in great shape (looks and feels nearly new). I'm still getting used to the mechanical keys a bit stiffer than the keyboard I was using. But I love the audible feedback (the previous owner sold the keyboard saying the clicky clack was too loud).

Unfortunately, the color is the "office beige" and not a darker color. But this used one is about $30 cheaper than had I got one brand new. :D

note: on the picture, the piece of wood I use as a wrist rest.

Attachments

• 100_1785.JPG
    100_1785.JPG
    494.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Easy, that is way cool! I kinda like the retro color.
But for heavens sake, spring some $ for a real wrist rest, lol! Looks like something I'd use!

Easy, that is way cool! I kinda like the retro color.
But for heavens sake, spring some $ for a real wrist rest, lol! Looks like something I'd use!

The office beige is starting to grow on me. But the color makes me want to write a computer program like days at w*rk.

I had a real wrist rest in the past (eventually wore off). I actually think the wood feels more comfortable, but do admit, could use a paint job :LOL:.

After almost a day with the new keyboard, I do type more accurately with the mechanical keys. But also, my fingers to feel the extra pressure needed with each keystroke. Finger exercises, I guess :).

Last edited:
The office beige is starting to grow on me. But the color makes me want to write a computer program like days at w*rk.

Office beige.... call it taupe; has it's advantages. I have the version with the black body and dust and detritus are more visible. Cube warrior taupe is more practical :D

DSC_0121.JPG

Office beige.... call it taupe; has it's advantages. I have the version with the black body and dust and detritus are more visible. Cube warrior taupe is more practical :D

View attachment 22460

Taupe, I'll have to remember that. My taupe keyboard color sort of matches my white router at least. The dust and detritus more visible on on the black did cross my mind (I own a dark blue color car).

Oh I did order a "tool" :) for the future dust. The brush should arrive in a couple of days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050B6CYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    duster.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom