Locations in the South of France

Scrapr

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are trying to finish out the itinerary for our trip to pick up our Volvo in Sweden. The first part is fleshed out. But need some suggestions for France.

So far it looks like...start in Zurich to ride the Bernina Express to Italy. Spend a few days at an Agriturismo outside Florence. Then meet our friends in Florence for a couple days. Their daughter is finishing Semester Abroad in Florence.

At that point we need to fly out to Gothenburg for delivery day. Depending on their plans after we may stay in Sweden or fly out. The South of France would enable them to train from Florence over.

We are thinking Marseille, Nice, Provence, Avignon, etc

Our group would be about 6. But several have mobility challenges. One is as she calls herself one of Jerry's kids. Muscular Dystrophy. Mrs Scrapr is fighting cancer and will be in between treatments.Her energy level will be lower.

South of France would allow us to high speed train to Paris & fly out. We can fly out of most anywhere. Thanks for any thoughts.

We really enjoyed southern France/Provence/Cote d’Azur. I recommend Nice as a base. Great day trips and lots to do in the city and awesome food! I don’t think you need to visit Marseille. Avignon was another excellent base in Provence quite far from Nice so you do need another base for that area. It’s easy to visit other cities nearby. Easy trains between cities. Lots of local tour guides if you want someone to ferry you around.

We did a week in Nice and a week in Aix en Provence. Both were great places to visit.

In Nice we rented an apartment in the old city 2 blocks from the beach. We spent some time daytripping to Monaco and other nearby towns via train. In Aix en Provence we rented a car (not sure if you're interested in doing the car rental thing. The town itself is good for a day or two of sight seeing, but we wanted to see some of the surrounding sights.

St Remy puts you in the heart of Van Gogh country and ancient Roman villages. Avignon is close to the famous Chateauneuf du Pape wine region and has good TGV train access. Super cute town is also Isle sur la Sorge. The “Venice” of Provence.
I can tell where not to waste your time, Arles.

We stayed in a farmhouse rental in Provence, walking distance to St Remy. Easy driving to Avignon, Pont du Gard, Aix, Nice, Chateau Neuf du Pape... et. Al. Enjoyed it. It was rented for a month through a company my uncle found on the web. If interested, I can get the name.

Avignon is close to the famous Chateauneuf du Pape wine region and has good TGV train access. Super cute town is also Isle sur la Sorge. The “Venice” of Provence.
I can tell where not to waste your time, Arles.
We stayed in Isle sur la Sorge. Make sure to be there on Sunday to enjoy the market. Go to Aignon on the other days.

We did a week in Nice and a week in Aix en Provence. Both were great places to visit.

In Nice we rented an apartment in the old city 2 blocks from the beach.
Us too from Nice Pebbles.

We are thinking Marseille, Nice, Provence, Avignon, etc
We would have said to avoid Marseiiles but my grandson went there for 5 months last year and it has improved a lot.

... Super cute town is also Isle sur la Sorge. The “Venice” of Provence...

We stayed in Isle sur la Sorge. Make sure to be there on Sunday to enjoy the market...

In 2017, we stayed at an Airbnb inside L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (note the spelling :) ), then used a car to make day trips elsewhere.

Would not mind coming back there one day.

This helps a lot. With the multiple mentions of L'Isle sur la Sourge this might just be a winnah

*this may all be for naught if the other group decides to stay in Italy. But our friend w/MD can't walk a ton & stairs are a challenge. We may stay in Sweden for a few days and visit some small fishing villages along the coast

Last edited:
There's no parking inside L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (note spelling again :) ) , in fact cars cannot go inside the little town during business hours. I parked outside and walked in, and it was about 1/4 to 1/2 mile so not too bad. Our Airbnb was an apartment right on top of a shop. How cool is that?

We stayed on the little island, because it was lively. However, if you cannot walk in with your luggage, there were other Airbnb's just outside the little town proper with easier car parking, and you can walk in to visit, with a wheelchair if necessary.

I can see coming back in the future to stay 2 weeks.

PS. There is a train station right outside of town, and not too far away. However, people may have different definitions of walking distance.

Isle-sur-la-Sorgue-1B-Verli.jpg

Last edited:
We stayed in town as well and had plenty of parking right behind our hotel.

Back
Top Bottom