Looking for No-brainer tickers for long term investing

Update: Finally opened our(me and DW) Roth IRA (back door) accounts with Vanguard and invested in VTSAX.

Also doing the same in my taxable brokerage account.

Thank you all for different perspectives and suggestions.

Update: Finally opened our(me and DW) Roth IRA (back door) accounts with Vanguard and invested in VTSAX.

Also doing the same in my taxable brokerage account.

Thank you all for different perspectives and suggestions.

Good choice, simple, understandable, and a great track record.

My issue with ETFs is that, to my knowledge, you can't buy a set dollar amount. If I have $10,000, I can buy $10,000 of a mutual fund, and at the end of the day they will buy the number of shares and fractions to buy $10,000. I can't do that with an ETF. I have to buy a certain # of shares. So I have to do the math to get the right number of shares, and either accept the market price, or set a target price and hope I hit it.

This is especially limiting in an IRA where I can't just add a little bit of money if the shares are a little more expensive than I have planned for.

Or am I wrong about this?

Most trading platforms do the math for you. Some will allow fractional stock shares but I have never found this to be a big deal one way or the other. I guess it could with high priced stock shares.

I use funds ( open and closed end) and ETFs, but mostly individual stocks. One negative of ETFs is that the NAV can become disconnected from the ETF price during large market moves, dependent especially on what securities the ETF holds.

Back
Top Bottom