Looming labor shortage?

I imagine there must be some problems in the labor market due to qualified people wanting to change jobs but unable to do so because they hold underwater mortgages.

I imagine there must be some problems in the labor market due to qualified people wanting to change jobs but unable to do so because they hold underwater mortgages.

And in other cases, the fear that they will not get needed medical coverage for pre-existing conditions.

The other component of "want it my way" is wages. Over the last few years, I have seen at least ten news stories about welder shortages. If the pay was better, there would be plenty. Makes good fodder for the newsies, though.

I believe business people are greedy. If they have an unfilled demand for their product and could produce more product if they had more skilled employees, they'd pay higher wages, and attract the needed employees, as long as the incremental profit covered all the costs of the higher wages. They like making more money.

They aren't bidding wages up now because they don't see how the profits generated by the additional labor they'd attract would be covered by the incremental profits produced.

Last edited:
I believe business people are greedy. If they have an unfilled demand for their product and could produce more product if they had more skilled employees, they'd pay higher wages, and attract the needed employees, as long as the incremental profit covered all the costs of the higher wages. They like making more money.

They aren't bidding wages up now because they don't see how the profits generated by the additional labor they'd attract would be covered by the incremental profits produced.
Just out of curiousity, what line of work were you in before you retired?

Back
Top Bottom