Lost all bookmarks in Chrome

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I screwed up royally. At some point in the past I allowed the Chrome browser to sync all data with my Google account not realizing that I was signed in under an email account I used for an old online college class project. So I always saw this little tab in the upper right corner where the minimize and close window buttons are with the team name from that class.

I tried to find out how to get rid of it and ended up, under settings/people/remove, clicking the remove button and permanently, apparently, deleted all bookmarks from Chrome. I signed in with my gmail address and got a new little tab with my name instead of the old class group, but I guess I should have imported the bookmarks to it first.

Anyone know of a way to recover this stuff? It ranges from annoying to significant. I have saved on a flash drive all important personal websites, financial and so forth, so I've been able to re-bookmark a lot of stuff. But there was a ton of things I had to lose. :facepalm:

Bummer.

I know nothing about chrome, but maybe for future ref. I use Firefox, it has a nice sync feature, and have two other pc's synced with bookmarks. Plus I keep a copy of the bookmarks in "my documents"

I had something similar happen with a Firefox update on my Mac. The bookmark toolbar disappeared and when I tried to get it back all the bookmarks were gone. Searching for a fix I read that Firefox has a way to restore your bookmarks. I don't remember what the solution was but try searching for how to restore bookmarks for Chrome.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Can you sign in to Chrome using your old college class project account? That should restore your bookmarks. Then go to Bookmarks -> Bookmark Manager. Press the settings button (should look like a gear), and export your bookmarks. Sign out and sign in with your normal Google account. Then go to Bookmark Manager and import the bookmarks you exported earlier. If you are signed in with your Google account, your bookmarks should sync across all the devices on which you are signed in to Chrome.

Can you sign in to Chrome using your old college class project account?

I can't. I tried shortly after I removed it. It is gone and it's been long enough that I have no record of it. I tried every permutation of passwords and user IDs. It may have even been that one of the other team members created the account for us all to share. Got CRS on that one.

I also looked into the methods suggested by others above and am appreciative to all who have tried to help. Nothing seems to work. I had turned off the browser numerous times before seeing that Chrome overwrites the bookmarks every time the browser is closed. So that nullifies using Chrome's bookmark manager. I followed the trail in Windows down to the end where the Bookmark file was said to reside and found it missing. So restoring the user data was useless.

The only helpful thing was that I found an old HTML file where I had exported the bookmarks before changing to a new computer. Unfortunately, the file was 5 years old and only marginally useful. At least I have backed up the new bookmarks by exporting them today and now know that it is a good idea to do that periodically to save future grief.

Ouch. Do you have a full backup of your computer? I'm not sure how it works on other operating systems, but on a Mac, you can generally restore files from specific points in time.

Back
Top Bottom