Lots of good news today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t doubt any of it. At the same time, it’s clear to me the primary interest of the CEO is the stock price, not your or my health. We’ll know soon enough.

Just to be clear, a public company CEO, particularly a CEO of a company a reputable as Pfizer, is not free to make false or misleading statements just to goose the stock price.

His statement appears well founded, though obviously the trial is ongoing.

Just to be clear, a public company CEO, particularly a CEO of a company a reputable as Pfizer, is not free to make false or misleading statements just to goose the stock price.

As of today, it's a press release. It's good news, but it's still got to clear FDA reviews and a bunch of other things.

(PS it's not good news if you're holding ZOOM stock)

The Pfizer CEO seems like a good guy. If you want a sample check out his interview from Face the Nation. Remember they have forgone the government cheese to avoid the bureaucracy and avoid political influence as much as possible.

https://youtu.be/YqExFF-00hE

As of today, it's a press release. It's good news, but it's still got to clear FDA reviews and a bunch of other things.

(PS it's not good news if you're holding ZOOM stock)

Even then it's not good news is you are not in the 90 percent. Let's not get too far out over our skis.

Is there anything about my earlier post you disagree with? I neither mentioned nor hinted at false or misleading.

Let’s continue this vaccine discussion in the vaccine trials thread https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/vaccine-trials-105297-3.html#post2508074

Yes good news today. A vaccine first and foremost, then the DOW and S & P. Goodness!

Is there anything about my earlier post you disagree with? I neither mentioned nor hinted at false or misleading.

Let’s continue this vaccine discussion in the vaccine trials thread https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/vaccine-trials-105297-3.html#post2508074

In my opinion you were attempting to down play Monte's "good news". But you know what they say about opinions. Do you guys have a history?

Also, isn't there an a;ternate thread for basically everything that comes up in the "good news" thread? Asking for a friend.

In my opinion you were attempting to down play Monte's "good news". But you know what they say about opinions. Do you guys have a history?

Also, isn't there an a;ternate thread for basically everything that comes up in the "good news" thread? Asking for a friend.

I post reluctantly in this thread and try to be careful not to rain on anyone’s parade. The only history Montecfo and I have is one of respect. My words that seem to have caused a stir

“ It may become a great day, but so far not enough information released to draw that conclusion.”

I’ll move on now to not detract any more from all the good news.

Even then it's not good news is you are not in the 90 percent. Let's not get too far out over our skis.
Not so fast. This early report did not provide any details on the 10% vaccinated but still infected.

But based on our experience with other vaccines, we have every reason to expect milder cases and better outcomes for those vaccinated but still testing positive.

I agree about not getting out over our skis.

But I am also an optimist and this is the good news thread, so I will point out that if the 90% holds *and* enough people get vaccinated, then we can hopefully reduce the transmissibility of the virus low enough to a point where even those who are not vaccinated or those for whom the vaccine would not be effective may still benefit because the virus won't reach those people.

TLDR remember herd immunity.

But I am also an optimist and this is the good news thread, so I will point out that if the 90% holds *and* enough people get vaccinated, then we can hopefully reduce the transmissibility of the virus low enough to a point where even those who are not vaccinated or those for whom the vaccine would not be effective may still benefit because the virus won't reach those people.

Yes I was poking a bit of fun at folks who seem able to find something bad in even the best news.

;)

Yes I was poking a bit of fun at folks who seem able to find something bad in even the best news.

;)

As a glass-half-empty kind of guy, I'm good at that. BUT, I interacted (tangentially) with some staff level folks from Pfizer. I was impressed with them and their dedication to their company, but more so to their ultimate customer - us.

While it'll be great to see the discussion of the (potential) vaccine in the vaccine thread, I'd say this IS good news, though everyone has the right to a YMMV approach. SO, well, you know, YMMV.

Attachments

• 5fa5d76e21492.image.jpg
    5fa5d76e21492.image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 52
Back to vaccines: As much as big Pharma charges us US citizens too much, sometimes for not enough (tweaking a med to prolong a patent, for example), it is a relief to see such good preliminary results.

It feels like we can see a light at the end of a long tunnel. It’s been several months since I have felt this way. I intend to enjoy it.

Back to vaccines: As much as big Pharma charges us US citizens too much, sometimes for not enough (tweaking a med to prolong a patent, for example), it is a relief to see such good preliminary results.

It feels like we can see a light at the end of a long tunnel. It’s been several months since I have felt this way. I intend to enjoy it.

Yes we all should. The Pfizer Chairman and CEO used just about the same phrase of yours (bolded).

And perhaps we will get other successful vaccines which require a single dose or pill form among the many in development.

These vaccines do not reduce transmissibility, only the illness. Herd immunity is impossible not only for that reason but because the human herd cannot be corralled.

Yes we all should. The Pfizer Chairman and CEO used just about the same phrase of yours (bolded).

And perhaps we will get other successful vaccines which require a single dose or pill form among the many in development.

Heh, heh, if it takes a shot in both arms every day for a week to get rid of Covid, sign me up (resetting the clock to 2021 is optional, so YMMV).

Heh, heh, if it takes a shot in both arms every day for a week to get rid of Covid, sign me up (resetting the clock to 2021 is optional, so YMMV).

For what it's worth, I agree with you. But my response was prepared by weight, not volume . Accordingly, some settling of the content may have occurred during transmission.

It looks like mRNA is going to become a viable vaccine method. Presuming it works out for Covid, the good news is that vaccines for other infectious diseases (SARS, Ebola, etc.) should easily follow. There is even talk about quick turn around flu vaccine tweaks during years of failure by the traditional vaccine.

Weekly jobless claims fell again

DOL reported last Thursday that weekly jobless claims fell to 709K, the lowest level since tbe start of the pandemic, and beating analyst's estimates of 740K. This was also sharply lower than the 757K from the prior week.

Continuing claims also fell sharply to 6.79M, a drop.of 436K compared to the prior week.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/12/us-jobless-claims-709000-vs-740000-estimate.html

Last edited:
What is the plan for convincing the following people to get the vaccine?
1. those who claim that Covid-19 is a hoax
2. those who claim that Covid-19 is just like the flu
3. those who won't even wear a mask which isn't as invasive as a vaccine

This is a sizeable chunk of the population.

I think those issues largely solve themselves. Travel restrictions for unvaxxed, wide availability of vaccine, a one shot or oral alternative.

And everyone does not have to vaccinate for it to be effective.

I also think that despite some polling, the people who will not vaccinate will be small.

To bring us back to the "good news" aspect...

Reports of 90% and better effectiveness means that everyone who wants to be protected, can be.

I was worried that at 50-70% effectiveness, we'd really be depending on a large majority getting vaccinated, which I agree is unlikely.

But now it looks like the elderly, those with underlying health issues and people who just want to avoid getting sick will have a very good chance if they get vaccinated themselves, and won't have to rely as much on everyone else doing so.

Conversely, those who don't mind getting sick, will. I don't agree with their choice, but maybe at least it won't affect others as much.

I think those issues largely solve themselves. Travel restrictions for unvaxxed, wide availability of vaccine, a one shot or oral alternative.

And everyone does not have to vaccinate for it to be effective.

I also think that despite some polling, the people who will not vaccinate will be small.

travel restrictions for international maybe.
but within the USA, say from FL to NY ?
and how will that be enforced?
stop every single car?

What makes you say that given that the simple act of wearing a mask is much less invasive?
I am truly curious what makes you think that one will be doable than the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom