Lots of good news today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another piece of good news.

Aerosol microdroplets inefficient carriers of COVID-19 virus

Aerosol microdroplets do not appear to be extremely efficient at spreading the virus that leads to COVID-19. While the lingering microdroplets are certainly not risk-free, due to their small size they contain less virus than the larger droplets that are produced when someone coughs, speaks, or sneezes directly on us, said researchers.
Source: American Institute of Physics

"Based on the current insights, we actually see that aerosol-wise, it's relatively safe to go into well-ventilated modern buildings, such as airports, train stations, modern offices, etc.," Bonn said.

If someone enters a space even a few minutes after a mildly symptomatic carrier of the coronavirus has coughed in that area, the probability of infection is "rather low," according to the researchers. It is even lower if that person was only talking.

Costco moved into the mall where JC Penny's (RIP) vacated. Huge space, amazing selection of clothes, fresh produce/fruits, meat, toilet paper!! Plenty of room for distancing, more customer service than I've ever seen at a warehouse/big box store. CS staff actually walking around helping people.
So sorry, Sam's. And we were excited to get a Portillo's.

question

SO yesterday I saw they pulled the Eli Lily antibody from trials bc it was showing to not be effective. THen today I see the DHS and DoD have agreed to purchase the first X amount of doses of the Eli Lily antibody drug. Can someone explain this to me bc I did not in fact sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. Im of average intelligence. Are these 2 diff drugs? I cant believe the govt is agreeing to buy a drug proven to be not effective. Or perhaps it has. Links for specifics

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...italized-covid-patients-other-trials-n1244900

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/28/cor...on-deal-with-eli-lilly-for-antibody-drug.html

Please tell me Im missing the fine print. THeyve pulled the study for HOSPITALIZED patients but its still showing effectiveness for NONhospitalized patients??

SO yesterday I saw they pulled the Eli Lily antibody from trials bc it was showing to not be effective. THen today I see the DHS and DoD have agreed to purchase the first X amount of doses of the Eli Lily antibody drug. Can someone explain this to me bc I did not in fact sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. Im of average intelligence. Are these 2 diff drugs? I cant believe the govt is agreeing to buy a drug proven to be not effective. Or perhaps it has. Links for specifics

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...italized-covid-patients-other-trials-n1244900

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/28/cor...on-deal-with-eli-lilly-for-antibody-drug.html

Please tell me Im missing the fine print. THeyve pulled the study for HOSPITALIZED patients but its still showing effectiveness for NONhospitalized patients??

I believe it was the NIH which has pulled the trial.

But the company has said it's better to give the drug early after the infection or even before infection as a prophylactic or a kind of short-term vaccine.

There are still trials going on to test those hypotheses.

The main issue is, monoclonal antibodies are not easy to manufacture at very high volumes so they're expensive.

Local news last night had a report of Dogs being used to detect covid infections in people. Just as dogs can be trained to sniff out explosives or even cancer the report implied that the sniff tests were as or more effective than swabs and might detect covid before swabs could. Not exactly remembering where the research was being done could have been Scandinavian area or Iceland/greenland.. Checking google found this was in Helsinki, Finland.
keywords Covid sniffing dogs Helsinki airport.

The researcher interviewed said each dog could do about 100 tests a day.
They used some sort of wipe maybe under the armpits and put that in a plastic holder that the dog then passed by maybe 5 or 6 samples in a row on the floot.
The dog scratched or some physical signal when they found the odor.

Wish I remembered more details but what a boon for air travel if we could be sniffed before even entering airport buildings by a mechanical device someday.
Hopefully this is not a duplicate posting, did a brief scan of topics and last posts but I did see this yesterday.

Local news last night had a report of Dogs being used to detect covid infections in people. Just as dogs can be trained to sniff out explosives or even cancer the report implied that the sniff tests were as or more effective than swabs and might detect covid before swabs could. Not exactly remembering where the research was being done could have been Scandinavian area or Iceland/greenland.. Checking google found this was in Helsinki, Finland.
keywords Covid sniffing dogs Helsinki airport.

The researcher interviewed said each dog could do about 100 tests a day.
They used some sort of wipe maybe under the armpits and put that in a plastic holder that the dog then passed by maybe 5 or 6 samples in a row on the floot.
The dog scratched or some physical signal when they found the odor.

Wish I remembered more details but what a boon for air travel if we could be sniffed before even entering airport buildings by a mechanical device someday.
Hopefully this is not a duplicate posting, did a brief scan of topics and last posts but I did see this yesterday.

That is truly fantastic! Dogs are so amazing.

The Helsinki airport dogs have been mentioned a couple of times here. AFAIK it's the only place that is doing this.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/out-of-state-covid-testing-105610.html#post2489425
One of our local universities here is also training sniffer dogs. There was a segment on TV on our local news just the other day. There seems to be no end to the ability of dogs sensory system. Just amazing, cue the usual joke about pet scans.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/coronavirus-sniffer-dogs-being-trained-19177844

A demonstration of Covid-19 detecting dogs left Health Secretary Matt Hancock "impressed", according to charity patron the Duchess of Cornwall.

Camilla was joined by the politician for the event staged by the charity Medical Detection Dogs where labradors, trained to sniff out the virus, were put through their paces in the real-life environment of Paddington station.

The Department of Health has helped to fund the clinical trials, which are being run as a collaboration between the charity and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and Durham University.

The GDP number is meaningless. It is still below where it was and that's after the trillions in stimulus. Without trillions more in stimulus, the economy and market will crash hard. A hand full of technology stocks that are at bubble valuations are holding up the market. Over 60% of stocks are down. Some as much as 98%. The only nations that are navigating through this mess are Taiwan and New Zealand and I guess the Cayman Islands. The economy will not recover on it's own until the pandemic is contained. You can't run an economy with 50% of the population staying at home and the other 50% spreading the infection.

Wow, this is truly good news. We don't see much of it here in Paradise because our economy is so inextricably linked with tourism and travel.

BUT, back in my home state, the old family business is doing quite well. It's a combo of in-person and phone/internet business. I've checked with other folks back home and they indicate similar recovery though it is clear that things are different. Means of interaction and service/product delivery are quite altered. BUT, folks are adapting and being successful. This bodes well for the economy which is clearly demonstrated by the article.

Just taking a quick look at the graphs of the down turn and the economy (as shown by GDP - and using a ruler on my monitor) it looks as if we are roughly even with the economy of mid '19. Not a terrible place to be in the great scheme of things though YMMV.

My fear is that we will eventually pay the price for how we managed such a great recovery - IOW the amount of stimulus required to keep the economy (and many of our folks) afloat. I am most concerned about eventual inflation though I'm guessing that's a considerable way off - I hope but YMMV.

A naked link? Please, adding a bit of color would be so helpful to other members. :)

Edit - great.

Last edited:
The GDP number is meaningless. It is still below where it was and that's after the trillions in stimulus. Without trillions more in stimulus, the economy and market will crash hard. A hand full of technology stocks that are at bubble valuations are holding up the market. Over 60% of stocks are down. Some as much as 98%. The only nations that are navigating through this mess are Taiwan and New Zealand and I guess the Cayman Islands. The economy will not recover on it's own until the pandemic is contained. You can't run an economy with 50% of the population staying at home and the other 50% spreading the infection.

It's better to have this bump in GDP than no bump.

Manufacturing continues to grow

The Institute for Supply Management's October manufacturing purchasing managers index (PMI) rose to 59.3 in October, up 3.9 percentage points from September, reaching its highest level in over 2 years. Other economic measures including new orders, backlog and employment also grew.

"The manufacturing economy continued its recovery in October"

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/manufacturing-pmi-at-59-3-october-2020-manufacturing-ism-report-on-business-301164898.html

Job gains and unemployment improvement beat expectations

Unemployment fell by a full percentage point, sharply lower than expected

"The Labor Department reported Friday that nonfarm payrolls increased by 638,000 and the unemployment rate was at 6.9%. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a payroll gain of 530,000 and an unemployment rate of 7.7% a touch lower than the September level of 7.9%."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/jobs-report-october-2020.html

Last edited:
Data from the ongoing late stage trial show that the covid-19 vaccine candidate being developed by Pfizer and BioNTech is 90 percent effective at preventing the disease, with no safety concerns.

"A great day for science and humanity"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covid-vaccine-pfizer-drug-is-more-than-90percent-effective-in-preventing-infection.html
Discussion in the vaccine thread, here https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f55/vaccine-trials-105297-3.html#post2508063

It may become a great day, but so far not enough information released to draw that conclusion.

Last edited:
Quote is from chairman and CEO Stocks seem to be weathering the news, just up 5 percent premarket.

I don’t doubt any of it. At the same time, it’s clear to me the primary interest of the CEO is the stock price, not your or my health. We’ll know soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom