Lots of good news today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid numbers seem to be improving in our county. Although our county recently lost an 80+ year old man who had Covid when he passed, we had not had a person die with Covid between July 3rd and September 30th. Our county now has had 6 residents who died while having Covid. All 6 had other major medical conditions.

They're surging up here north of the Wisconsin state line, particularly in the northeast quadrant of the state. On Thursday, a record 2887 positives were reported, and that record is falling day after day. A Green Bay hospital has had to put beds in the hallways. https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/10/01/wisconsin-reports-record-number-cases-hospitalizations-21-deaths/5880060002/

They may have the doses, but will enough people take them?

I believe in vaccinations, but I am taking a wait and see.

And do you honestly think that people who won't even wear a mask which is a very trivial act are going to let themselves be injected? I don't.

I don't believe vaccines will the cure-all that many are hanging their hopes on.

Our virus numbers keep getting better and better here in New Orleans! Just thought that was some good, cheerful, non-contraversial news that others might enjoy reading about. (YAY!)

I read that last week our COVID19 test results came out only 1.x% positive for the virus here in New Orleans. Also I read that in New Orleans, where schools re-started (mostly in person) about 2-3 weeks ago, there has only been ONE student to test positive for COVID19.

Of course none of this is long term yet, but we are all hopeful that the good news continues long enough to become a major trend for our city. We were one of the first cities hit hard by COVID-19 back in March, while other cities were barely affected, and for quite some time we were told that unfortunately we had the largest per capita rates in the country. So experiencing these improvements has been an unexpected and very welcome outcome.

Not going to argue about the REASONS - - I have my opinions, but not going to express them here. Just reporting some cheerful FACTS that people can explain to themselves however they wish.
Because of all the improvements in our numbers, the mayor has moved New Orleans from Phase 2 to what she calls Phase 3.1, which is (very) slightly more permissive than Phase 2 but much more restrictive than the full Phase 3 that the rest of the state is under right now. Still, it's a little better. :)

... do you honestly think that people who won't even wear a mask which is a very trivial act are going to let themselves be injected? I don't.

Offer a tax credit, per household person who completes the vaccination process, for the 2020 federal income taxes. Tell 'em its only good if completed by April 15 2021. If it makes sense, extend it 90 days once April 15 rolls around.

In Florida our Governor fully opened up the state while numbers are still high. Locally most of the good restaurants are staying at 50% and keeping the masks .I think this is great news .

I believe in vaccinations, but I am taking a wait and see.

And do you honestly think that people who won't even wear a mask which is a very trivial act are going to let themselves be injected? I don't.

I don't believe vaccines will the cure-all that many are hanging their hopes on.

They don't have to be a cure-all for everyone. If they prevent Covid for the person taking the vaccine, I think most people will be very happy.

Those that do not take the vaccine are making a choice. I travelled throughout the southeast this summer. I would say mask wearing was at 90 percent plus in public spaces. If 10 percent wish to not take the virus, I think we will be fine.

The South Park Pandemic Special premieres tomorrow on Comedy Central. This is the 308th episode and the first one hour show in the show's history which dates back to 1997.
I saw it! Very funny. A bit squeemish at times but isn't it always? Laughed out loud.

They don't have to be a cure-all for everyone. If they prevent Covid for the person taking the vaccine, I think most people will be very happy.

Those that do not take the vaccine are making a choice. I travelled throughout the southeast this summer. I would say mask wearing was at 90 percent plus in public spaces. If 10 percent wish to not take the virus, I think we will be fine.

But by all reports, the current crop of in-test vaccines will not "prevent" covid for most people. It'll be more like flu vaccines, where they offer some resistance to infection and severity, but not actual immunity. If getting a vaccine makes someone 100% immune, then sure, they can say "i got mine I don't worry about the rest of y'all" but that's not going to be the case anytime soon.

So any of these early vaccines will be more effective with greater adoption.

But by all reports, the current crop of in-test vaccines will not "prevent" covid for most people. It'll be more like flu vaccines, where they offer some resistance to infection and severity, but not actual immunity.

Even if that turns out to be the case, I'd guess the vast majority of people will happily line up to get vaccinated. Even 50-70% protection against the virus is far, far better than nothing at all and will allow folks to resume things like air travel, dining in at restaurants, and many other indoor, group activities to a large degree. Hard to imagine how any rational person would make a conscious, considered choice to remain 100% vulnerable to COVID infection once an effective vaccine is available. Having said that, I fully realize that roughly 25-30% of the population aren't "rational" in my estimation. :confused:

Offer a tax credit, per household person who completes the vaccination process, for the 2020 federal income taxes. Tell 'em its only good if completed by April 15 2021. If it makes sense, extend it 90 days once April 15 rolls around.

It would have to be a refundable tax credit or it wouldn't serve it's purpose.

But by all reports, the current crop of in-test vaccines will not "prevent" covid for most people. It'll be more like flu vaccines, where they offer some resistance to infection and severity, but not actual immunity. If getting a vaccine makes someone 100% immune, then sure, they can say "i got mine I don't worry about the rest of y'all" but that's not going to be the case anytime soon.

So any of these early vaccines will be more effective with greater adoption.

There are over 100 different covid 19 vaccines under development based on numerous different technology platforms and approaches. There is really no way to say how effective any individual one will be, much less in combination.

There is much we do not know, but we know the standard is 50 percent effectiveness in preventing disease or reducing severity. That is higher than what we experience with flu vaccines, and millions take those even though the fatality risk is far lower. And it also suggests that if a vaccine is approved most who take it will benefit.

And vaccines will likely improve over time.

One of the good things to come out of the coronavirus pandemic is that it has spurred a ton of research into the development of new ways to make vaccines, new technologies. Kind of like what the space race did in the 60s.

One of the good things to come out of the coronavirus pandemic is that it has spurred a ton of research into the development of new ways to make vaccines, new technologies. Kind of like what the space race did in the 60s.

Yes. Also process changes to reduce time to market.

These improvements will pay dividends for a very long time

Yes. Also process changes to reduce time to market.

These improvements will pay dividends for a very long time

It accelerated certain things like mRNA and probably provided a lot of funding that some researchers like those who are developing the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine candidate.

Before they were chasing the latest pandemic so they were going from MERS to Ebola, etc.

A lot of vaccines for those other viruses never got completed, because there wasn't funding once they were no longer a huge threat.

I think once things calm down, a lot of these researchers will struggle for funding again.

The fact that they could ramp up so quickly will be taken as meaning that we can ramp up when the next pandemic comes up, instead of say for instance continuing to fund vaccine research for say eradicating all coronaviruses.

Sounds like ongoing vaccine research would be a good use of some of our tax money.

Even if that turns out to be the case, I'd guess the vast majority of people will happily line up to get vaccinated. Even 50-70% protection against the virus is far, far better than nothing at all and will allow folks to resume things like air travel, dining in at restaurants, and many other indoor, group activities to a large degree. Hard to imagine how any rational person would make a conscious, considered choice to remain 100% vulnerable to COVID infection once an effective vaccine is available. Having said that, I fully realize that roughly 25-30% of the population aren't "rational" in my estimation. :confused:

For sure, I'll queue up for anything that's got scientific backing, whether it offers 30% or whatever defense. I'm in the "better than nothing" camp, and it's why I will always get the flu shot knowing it's never perfect.

Obv. high efficacy + high adoption is the end game, and high efficacy will protect adopters regardless of adoption rates, and I fully intend to be in that group.

Some really great news

WHO now says lockdowns not advisable in most cases, joining a growing number of experts saying the same thing.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-who-backflips-on-virus-stance-by-condemning-lockdowns/news-story/f2188f2aebff1b7b291b297731c3da74

https://www.mercurynews.com/coronavirus-stanford-doctors-among-leaders-of-global-anti-lockdown-movement

Scientists saying lockdowns are not advisable in most cases is great news: more states can open up and focus on keeping the vulnerable well.

Herd Immunity

This isn't good or bad news, it is what it is.... a cool graphic.

Attachments

• oakImage-1602773913985-articleLarge-v2.gif
    oakImage-1602773913985-articleLarge-v2.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 227
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom