Lots of good news today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. Also deaths seem to be remaining relatively flat to this point.
Unfortunately, as we saw over the summer, when cases ramp up, deaths start ramping up too about a month later and persist for quite a while.

Unfortunately, as we saw over the summer, when cases ramp up, deaths start ramping up too about a month later and persist for quite a while.
In Connecticut, much of our recent uptick in cases has been attributable to outbreaks at a number of colleges. So I would expect deaths not to follow the same pattern they did in the spring, when it was ravaging nursing homes here.

Good news for China and hopefully for us, if we can follow suit. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

China posted 4.9% economic growth in its third quarter compared to the same period last year, keeping it on track to be the only major global economy to record an economic expansion this year in the midst of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
LINK

Good news for China and hopefully for us, if we can follow suit. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

LINK

China got the virus under control first and then the economy improved. We could do the same here in the U.S.--get the virus under control and then our economy would follow.

Good news for me is I'm in my condo in Downtown West Palm Beach Florida and it's so quiet here that you would think that it was the suburbs. It's also not pouring rain this morning. I haven't heard a single ambulance or fire truck since arriving on Sunday night. I don't hear the Brightline train but then I found out that they suspended operations since March and permanently laid off support staff. I hope they survive as it is a nice service that lets us visit Fort Lauderdale and Miami without fighting the I-95. I also don't hear any rowdy drunks at night screaming their heads off. But while driving down Dixie highway from Palm Beach Atlantic University on my way to the supermarket I couldn't help but notice so many shuttered businesses. The bottom line is that it's going to take a long time to recover from this. Large corporations that have access to the capital markets can survive this for a while. But some small businesses that were struggling before this pandemic will never come back.

Last edited:
You thought there was a shortage of sanitizer? Watch for the run on mouthwash. A new study from Penn State says

Certain oral antiseptics and mouthwashes may have the ability to inactivate human coronaviruses, according to a Penn State College of Medicine research study. The results indicate that some of these products might be useful for reducing the viral load, or amount of virus, in the mouth after infection and may help to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.26514

The Cambridge UK mask company was sold out for months. They have masks again N99 military masks. I have one already but wear it often in small indoor spaces away from home. With PKD, I'm not comfortable with a cloth mask, maybe outdoors they're ok. In case anyone's interested with a pre existing condition, worth looking into. They are a bit expensive but last 360 hours of wear and can be washed in the washing machine.

Edit: They're very protective if you encounter people without masks, as in the grocery/pharmacy store with people who refuse to wear masks or wear them on their mouth only. A cloth mask provides little protection if you're standing in line with someone who's not wearing a mask.

https://us.cambridgemask.com/

Last edited:
I was at the dentist last week and the first order of business after removing my mask was to rinse my mouth with a hydrogen peroxide solution for one minute. This is part of their new protocol. I use Listerine at home in the morning.

You thought there was a shortage of sanitizer? Watch for the run on mouthwash. A new study from Penn State says

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmv.26514

I skimmed the paper. I'm guessing that if one of the major media push the story, mouthwash will disappear just as TP, masks, hand sanitizer, etc. have.

Unless I missed it, there was no evaluation or proposal of HOW one might make use of the information. I would have no idea. Would you use mouthwash if you thought you had an active case of Covid? How often? Would you begin to use mouthwash if you thought you had been exposed?

If dentists are using H2O2 to protect themselves, is that instructive?

This seems hopeful but I have no clue how to use the information. I think at this point, I'll gargle when I come home from Costco.:cool: YMMV

This seems hopeful but I have no clue how to use the information.

The implication is that some of these products might be useful for reducing the viral load, or amount of virus, in the mouth after infection and may help to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2. That's all.

The implication is that some of these products might be useful for reducing the viral load, or amount of virus, in the mouth after infection and may help to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2. That's all.

I pretty much put that together myself.

How/when/how often/etc. do you use these products? Do you, for instance, count on mouthwash to keep you from spreading the virus or even getting the virus? Not at all negative on this info, just don't have any idea how to use it. YMMV

Well I'll order some Listerine and hydrogen peroxide, but I'm unfamiliar with 1% baby shampoo as a nasal rinse. There is such a thing as 1% baby shampoo? How is it applied?

The Article was not clear but maybe it was 1% Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo to 99% sterile water (you would definitely want to use sterilized water--either boiled or distilled for nasal rinsing). I was disappointed the Netti Pot nasal rinse did not help. At the recommendation of DH's ENT doctor we use the Netti Pot rinse frequently and it has helped to reduce DH's frequent sinus infections.
Interesting too is that DH has not had a single sinus infection since March ( he would have normally had at least one in this time period) and I attribute that to staying home, wearing masks and social distancing when out.

Here's a news tidbit that I think qualifies for the Lots of Good News Today thread:

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_2762543c-1499-11eb-bede-ffc4b4b87f33.html

Keep up the the good work and don't let down your guard. My county was down to about 60 new cases a day a few months ago. Now it has blasted through 250 new cases a day on the 7 day average. Most of it is thanks to young folks, especially those on Greek Row at the local University. If they were my kids I would be tempted to denounce, disown and disinherit the brats. :eek:

The good news is that for other than young folks near colleges, mask wearing is the highest I have ever seen in my area.

Wow, that’s impressive! Unfortunately with this virus, continuous vigilance is required to maintain the good statistics. Keep it down!
According to all news sources, nobody here has done any "continuous vigilance" at all in the past six months or so. At first people stayed home and such. But for months and months by now, they have been spontaneously getting together in crowds of hundreds, unmasked and drunk and partying on Bourbon Street and elsewhere. Our mayor keeps threatening but it keeps happening. Yet after a blip last summer, I hear that our numbers have done nothing but decline. The mayor said that the return to school (many in person) would cause serious problems and would probably be disastrous. Nope. Just keeps getting better. I love driving by elementary schools during recess, where the happiness on those (mostly unmasked) kids' faces is so heart warming as they play together.

This week the mayor is threatening a $500 fine for being outside without a mask, but the police aren't enforcing it according to F. He saw a crowd of 20 or so, all unmasked, loitering for hours on a street corner, and the police just drove by slowly without citing anyone.

Back in March/April our cases per 100,000 were probably the worst in the country, although we are a small town so this didn't get much press. My hypothesis is that since we had it so much more severely than the rest of the country back then, everybody that was going to get it already did. (?) Also most of the people in such crowds are probably young and not susceptible. Otherwise I am at a loss to explain it.

Luckily I don't have to explain it. :LOL: We just need to watch out for ourselves. Therefore we just keep wearing our masks and social distancing and not being near many other people. So far, so good.

I looked out my window last night.
The noise of a car pulling into the court at 9 - 10 pm is not common.

I see the neighbor's son bound into the waiting car.
This son is junior attending Rutgers pre-med.
No mask wearing.
Apparently out for some "social" activity.
He of all people should know better.

If you listen to this week's CIDRAP podcast with Dr. Osterholm, this is just the nature of the virus. The virus may not spread evenly.
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars/episode-28
start at about 19 minutes into the podcast
I didn't listen to it, but I'm sure he knows it all. Everybody says they do. We're still waiting for the HUGE surge that was supposed to happen after school started a month and a half ago. All the experts *knew* it would happen. Then when it was late, they all said the kids were asymptomatic and their parents had to catch it before the surge, thus a couple of weeks delay. Nope, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom