Lousy Recent Vet Experience

Don't care what decade it is--I'm just telling you "what is".

This is not a disparaging comment on women. It is difficult enough to be a full time practicing veterinarian and it only gets more difficult when you have kids.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340187/

I always wondered why the four vet clinics in our town of 150,000 are staffed by women vets. One small clinic that has been here for decades and uses the owner's name (a man), is also staffed by a female vet and I believe she is a relative of his.

Don't care what decade it is--I'm just telling you "what is".

This is not a disparaging comment on women. It is difficult enough to be a full time practicing veterinarian and it only gets more difficult when you have kids.

I get it- the only vet I know is the daughter of a friend. She's married with an 8-year old and a 5-year old and works PT. Grandparents take care of the kids while she and her husband (different field) are at work.

The vets in Reno charge a fortune. My sister paid 160 for a dental cleaning for her dog in Chicago. I paid the same amount for the bloodwork done before the cleaning. The charges without pulling any teeth are 600. Some of the people that have moved here from California say that prices are higher here. For the past 6 months we can now go inside with our pet if we want to.

Our last Vet was a personal friend and he treated us (and all his "patients") like family. We never felt gauged on prices though prices did rise. BUT our last critter went to kitty heaven before we moved to the Islands. Because our MO is now to spend several months away from home, we will not subject an animal to long-term boarding our dependence upon a neighbor/friend for care. So, I sympathize with those who are having issues with Vets. We no longer employ their services.

By the way, our friend sold his practice but stayed on one day per week to do only surgeries. It is is passion to provide excellent surgical care to folks' best friends. YMMV

Support your locally owned vet clinic or next time your dog gets sick or injured wait for the traveling Vet to roll into town, collect your money and drive off into the sunset.

It turns out that the traveling vet last time has an office in a nearby small town. I might try going there next time. I'd like to continue supporting the local vet but after hours his answering machine tells you to go to the emergency vet. It may come down to going to the corporate vet clinic when the travelling vet isn't available.

It turns out that the traveling vet last time has an office in a nearby small town. I might try going there next time. I'd like to continue supporting the local vet but after hours his answering machine tells you to go to the emergency vet. It may come down to going to the corporate vet clinic when the travelling vet isn't available.

We were noticing our vet bills increasing & our time with our vet decreasing. This was 20 years ago almost & the owner was selling the practice to other vets. In an emergency we took our Goldens to an Emergency vet for something or other. After it was all done we were shocked at the bill, It wasn't enough! After another trip to the E Vet we thought the same thing. Our words...."this would have been $xxxx.xx at our regular Vet. That was when we switched

My daughter has had to deall with pet procedures with her vet since Covid hit. Since she's a nurse she understands what it's like to be on the delivery side of services. All of the precautions are necessary to protect staff.

Imagine what it was like to try and get testing in March 2020 for a human. Things were very complicated with pre-testing requirement at hospital locations only, with long waits in a car. Fortunately the great majority of human healthcare staff has hung in there. But I know the pressure was too much for some.

I imagine the strain on an independant vet practice has been really harsh, and staffing is probably difficult as it is for many other service organizations.

I checked my vet's call in number after hours just for fun. Now the message says if you get this message during business hours we are busy don't come in, If you get it after hours call back during business hours. At least the message no longer leaves the impression that they might call back, lol.

I forgot to mention bringing in our two fur balls for their annuals years ago. The Vet I mentioned came in with tears in his eyes. He said "I just lost one." THAT's the Vet you want looking after your precious critters.

....... He said "I just lost one." THAT's the Vet you want looking after your precious critters.
I don't know. I'd prefer to hear "I just saved one."

Back
Top Bottom