Low temp warning while on winter vacation

If I was going away for months during winter, I would set my thermostat around 50 or 55 and call it a day. Why would anyone want to access their thermostat while they were away for months? Are you going to tweak it every single day? Just pick a number and stick with it. Will save you a lot of headache.

Yes, there are things that will power cycle your devices. Good if you have security cameras as well.

The OP specifically states the reason for the request, and many of us share a similar need. No one has mentioned “daily tweaking” - except you.

We're planning a month long vacation this winter, and I'm looking for ways to warn us if the furnace goes out

Nest with external sensors. Recommended and subsidized by our gas company. It works great.

Wifi thermostats are great until you have an issue with your wifi. Usually not a big deal. But if you're in another state and no one to go to your house to power cycle the router...good luck.

Get a dumb thermostat, set it and forget it. Better things to worry about in life than adjusting the thermostat while you're away.

If I was going away for months during winter, I would set my thermostat around 50 or 55 and call it a day. Why would anyone want to access .y their thermostat while they were away for months? Are you going to tweak it every single day? Just pick a number and stick with it. Will save you a lot of headache.

Yes, there are things that will power cycle your devices. Good if you have security cameras as well.

You obviously don't get it.... the reason for these is to monitor the temperature in your home while you are away... not to adjust or change the thermostat while you are away (though they can do that).

I have wifi thermostats and I don't think that I have ever change the thermostat while away from the house (but it is nice to know that I could if I wanted or needed to)... I use them to monitor the temperature in the house so if I lose heat I can call a friend and have them check out the situation and I can then call the plumbing/heating guy if I need to.

I had one instance last year where the power went out and for some unknown reason the heat didn't come back on when the power came back on like it usually does... a fluke. I was able to notice that temperatures were declining and had someone check it out. It was as easy as switching the emergency switch off and then on and the heater started right up and we were in business again.

The external sensors on the Nest do just what you are looking for. They monitor the temp in the house - they do not regulate the temp. The main Nest thermostat you can adjust from you smartphone no matter where you are. The separate sensor merely provides information.

If I was going away for months during winter, I would set my thermostat around 50 or 55 and call it a day. ...

I was thinking of using a 7 day battery backed timer to cycle things, I could pick a time for each thing to go off and 5 minutes later come back on.

Really, I guess a regular 24 hr timer would work just fine as well. After all if there is not power, then nothing is working until the power comes back.

This type of thing for about $8 -> $9

820b0b31-6e96-422b-992e-40fa66867ff4_1.301cfd7969471b4dbf94133186f1bd2d.jpeg

The dreaded "No 'C' wire available" problem

So I ordered the Honeywell RTH9585WF1004 WiFi enabled thermostat for $150 from Amazon with free one-day shipping. Opened the box, read the instructions, everything looked great. I went to remove the old unit and found that I was a victim of the dreaded "No 'C' wire available" problem.

Our home, built in the late 1970's, has a typical gas forced air furnace with outside AC compressor. The cable from the furnace control board to the thermostat has 4 wires (R/G/Y/W). This was sufficient for an old style round thermostat, or even for a programmable that uses AA batteries for the clock. It is not sufficient for a WiFi thermostat as they need a power source (24 VAC). That is provided by the "C" wire that we were missing. The cable goes up into the ceiling, across the room, and then down into the furnace room. A quick tug confirmed it was stapled to studs in multiple places so pulling or fishing a new wire would be a nightmare.

After discussions with Honeywell they suggested a great solution: Using the "G" wire as a "C" wire. Turns out the "G" wire is only needed to run the blower fan when there is no heat or AC running. We never do this so it is not a problem to lose that feature. On the furnace control board I moved the "G" wire to the "C" terminal. I also put a jumper from the empty "G" terminal to the "Y" terminal. (This tells the blower to come on when the heat starts.) Then on the thermostat mounting plate I connected the "G" wire to the "C" terminal. There are some YouTube videos that show the process in detail, so check it out before you try this!

Success! Everything works (except the Blower On function), and the WiFi connection and setup were a breeze. We can check and adjust the temperature from our cell phones and we will get an automatic alert if the temp drops below 45 degrees. This thermostat has a large easy to read color LCD display, much nicer for my aging vision. It even shows outdoor temperature and humidity (provided by the Nat'l Weather Service), and indoor humidity. Added bonus: Excel Energy has a $75 rebate and Centerpoint has a $50 rebate, so the net price will be just $25 for a great upgrade.

Projects like this can be frustrating, but learning how to do these things makes me feel so much more in control of how our home works.

I go Old School:
In addition to 5 cameras mounted around the house (and one watching the water level on the furnace) I got the Accurite Temp weather sensors.

For $100 you get three temp monitors. I have one on top of the furnace, one in the dining room and wrap a third in plastic bags and leave it in the hot tub.

I also have a remote on/off lamp switch in case I need to reboot my critical camera which watches to see if my sump pump has failed; came in handy a few times when the camera goes crazy or looses its feed.

Last edited:
I went to remove the old unit and found that I was a victim of the dreaded "No 'C' wire available" problem.

That's one of the reasons I chose a Nest. No 'C' wire needed.

For others considering a wifi thermostat - check you wiring first. Then choose a device.

Other models, like the Nest Learning Thermostat ... can use a C wire, but they don't require it. ...these thermostats and others instead draw power directly from those other wires when the A/C or heat is on. When neither system is running, those thermostats will cycle the power on your HVAC system briefly in order to supply that extra dose of power...

While power stealing can work ... it has some inherent risks. For instance, turning on your heat or A/C for no other reason than to power other parts of the thermostat can actually damage your HVAC system. Burst of voltage streaming through the system at unexpected times can lead to short circuiting.

(From https://www.cnet.com/news/whats-a-c-wire-and-why-should-you-care/)

I'm not a fan of power-stealing for a WiFi thermostat to avoid running a "C" wire. There are other options, including a dedicated transformer, but really, running a new wire is probably worth it. WiFi networks take power, best to provide a good supply.

Our five zone heating system also does not have a C wire. For a couple of years, as a test before converting to wifi for all five zones, we used the Honeywell Wifi thermostat in one zone that reportedly does not need a C wire, as it draws power off the furnace to provide power to the led display on the thermostat. But we had several situations where that thermostat could not draw enough power off the furnace to operate the thermostat and thus that zone did not call for heat when it should have. Even though Nest states that it does not require a C wire either I was leery of installing 5 Nest devices each of which would be drawing energy from the furnace.(At least I assume that is how the Nest powers its led display).

In searching for an alternative, I came across the Luxe system. The Luxe thermostat uses lithium batteries to provide power to the thermostat. We tried one successfully for several months and then installed four more. It was either that solution, or install a C wire throughout the house. The later approach was very costly, so we opted for the Luxe system. The only downside is in order to ensure that the batteries don't run down while we are away for two months, I replace all of the batteries just before we depart, regardless of whether I need to. The batteries last about six months and the app prompts me with an email when one of the thermostat batteries is low. The app is very user friendly and I use it now to view/change programs or temps. I never touch the thermostat themselves to operate the system.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have three Honeywell Model #RTH6580WF wifi-enabled thermostats (one for each zone). These are relatively cheap (they were on sale for $60 last week at best buy), have an app for remote control (Honeywell TCC app), and can be controlled by Smart Things as well as voice-controlled from Alexa.

I also have a bunch of combination sensors (temperature, open/closed) which I use to monitor various parts of my home in the winter. (For example, under the kitchen sink near the pipes). Using Smart Things CoRE logic, I can have routines like "if the Kitchen sink temperature is under x, increase the downstairs thermostat by y". The sensors are pretty cheap (and run well over a year on a single battery) - I got them for under $10 each I think (on yet another sale from someplace).

My rationale for using these is that I heat somewhat using a wood stove (insert). My insert isn't big enough for the entire 2800+ sq foot house, especially since the firebox isn't huge and it is not located centrally (it is in a one floor only family room towards the back of the house). I also have hot-water heat (fuel oil), so there are pipes running around the exterior portions of the house. My concern was the insert producing enough heat to 'fool' the downstairs thermostat (a couple rooms away but fairly open) yet the outer far away corners of the house being too cold (if the temperatures are way below 32 degrees F.) Thus, I can monitor those locations while using the insert for the majority of the heat and in fact can automate settings.

It has the plus of being able to remotely control temperatures when I am away from home for a longer period of time.

In terms of wi-fi outages, the Honewell's will alert me (SMS) if my thermostats are no longer connected to the Internet. I believe there are watchdog systems around that will automatically restart (power off/on) a device (e.g. your router) but I haven't needed to investigate them. My 'backup' is calling my neighbor (who has a key).

I also have a bunch of combination sensors (temperature, open/closed) which I use to monitor various parts of my home in the winter. (For example, under the kitchen sink near the pipes).

I'm looking to do something similar. I also have three Honeywell WiFi thermostats, and a couple of places where the pipes can get too cold if I'm not careful.

I don't need any fancy if-then logic. I just want to be able to glance at an app to see if one of these areas is getting too cold, on those days when I know it's possible.

So far the best option seems to be the "Wireless Tag" product line, at around $25 for the cheapest sensor ("tag") and around $50 for a hub.

Any other suggestions?

While I use the nest. I have just purchase the Honeywell lyric freeze and water sensor. Works on WiFi and is battery operated and they last over a year. Costs 60 bucks but it worth it for peace of mind. I use the near no Wire solution and my HVAC techs all say it is a disaster waiting to happen. They all advise to replace them at some point with something else if one does not have a. C wire

The lyric will alert you both by your smartphone and email and in house via a buzzer. It will also alert you if WiFi goes out for extended period.

I'm looking to do something similar. I also have three Honeywell WiFi thermostats, and a couple of places where the pipes can get too cold if I'm not careful.

I don't need any fancy if-then logic. I just want to be able to glance at an app to see if one of these areas is getting too cold, on those days when I know it's possible.

So far the best option seems to be the "Wireless Tag" product line, at around $25 for the cheapest sensor ("tag") and around $50 for a hub.

Any other suggestions?

This is what I use: La Crosse Alerts Mobile 926-25101-GP Wireless Monitor System Set with Dry Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081UR76G/ref=psdc_397435011_t1_B079DT9CP2

less expensive if you only need 1 or 2. IIRC it also sends you alerts if the temp gets below a certain temp that you set... first year of service is free IIRC.

Last edited:

Any other suggestions?

I don't know anything about the Wireless Tag system (other than a real quick glance at the web site). It does support IFTTT triggers.

With the Honeywell Thermostats, you can view/change their temperatures online or phone using the TCC app. No integration with Smart Things or other hubs required.

For my sensors, I have both Samsung sensors but mostly a bunch of Visonic MCT-340 E sensors that I picked up for $10 each on sale. Here they are on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081UR76G/ref=psdc_397435011_t1_B079DT9CP2

If you follow slickdeals.net, MyDigitalDiscounts occasionally has them on sale for $10. Here's a link to the last discussion on them: https://slickdeals.net/f/11571503-visonic-mct-340-e-wireless-door-window-temperature-sensor-2-4ghz-zigbee-now-15-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

I haven't been comparing various hub prices because once I got the Smart Things V2 hub (on a great deal at the time), there was no need to continue looking. It supports both z-wave and Zigbee devices. What you don't want is tons of devices all requiring wi-fi ip assignments, and in turn requiring good signal to the nearest WAP. Instead, with z-wave/zigbee, many of the sensors can act as repeaters. I was (an am) concerned with the number of devices I have attached to my home network (w/a single 255-2 device subnet) so having Smart Things act as a hub for sensors is a good thing.

Side note: The cheapo Visonic MCT 340's have an operating temperature range of 0-55 degrees C (131 degree F) But I have one of them mounted a couple feet in front of the wood stove insert fan, and have recorded readings of 141-145 degrees and it still worked (and still works). [It will likely reduce the battery life on the unit - assuming it doesn't melt first. :) ]

This is what I use: La Crosse Alerts Mobile 926-25101-GP Wireless Monitor System Set with Dry Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081UR76G/ref=psdc_397435011_t1_B079DT9CP2

less expensive if you only need 1 or 2. IIRC it also sends you alerts if the temp gets below a certain temp that you set... first year of service is free IIRC.

For my sensors, I have both Samsung sensors but mostly a bunch of Visonic MCT-340 E sensors that I picked up for $10 each on sale. Here they are on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081UR76G/ref=psdc_397435011_t1_B079DT9CP2

If you follow slickdeals.net, MyDigitalDiscounts occasionally has them on sale for $10. Here's a link to the last discussion on them: https://slickdeals.net/f/11571503-visonic-mct-340-e-wireless-door-window-temperature-sensor-2-4ghz-zigbee-now-15-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

I haven't been comparing various hub prices because once I got the Smart Things V2 hub (on a great deal at the time), there was no need to continue looking. It supports both z-wave and Zigbee devices.

Good info, thanks.

I'm a little reluctant to get into a subscription arrangement with any company. It's not just the money, although I still remember when cable TV was advertised as $10/month for all broadcast, plus extra commercial-free channels. Where did THAT promise lead us?

I'm not even happy with having Honeywell vacuum up all my data, then not even give me the option to access it, beyond their monthly usage summary e-mail. If their server goes down, or they decide my hardware has gone out of support, where does that leave me?

It seems back-end requirements are among the best-kept secrets of all these solutions. I really don't want to depend on any third party, or share with them the details of my daily home operation, or give them access into my home network.

Ideally, I'd like something I can access directly, without having to do this.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, and may be simply unable to find something like what I want.

Last edited:
And here I thought you just wanted to be able to tell what the temperature was in certain parts of your place at an affordable cost.

On my LaCrosse unit, there's no subscription required and less you want it to alert you when the temperature is dip blower certain set temperature. I haven't bothered to do that, I just check it when I remember to.

Good info, thanks.

I'm a little reluctant to get into a subscription arrangement with any company. It's not just the money, although I still remember when cable TV was advertised as $10/month for all broadcast, plus extra commercial-free channels. Where did THAT promise lead us?

I'm not even happy with having Honeywell vacuum up all my data, then not even give me the option to access it, beyond their monthly usage summary e-mail. If their server goes down, or they decide my hardware has gone out of support, where does that leave me?

It seems back-end requirements are among the best-kept secrets of all these solutions. I really don't want to depend on any third party, or share with them the details of my daily home operation, or give them access into my home network.

Ideally, I'd like something I can access directly, without having to do this.

I realize I'm probably in the minority, and may be simply unable to find something like what I want.

Yes, I would rather a local only solution (not requiring data sent to the cloud [in this case Honeywell as well as to my Smart Things account]). If I ever had time and energy to research and/or work on it...

ETA: This lack of time is because of that 4 letter word, w*rk. Too much time spent teaching computer science, not enough time doing computer science.

Last edited:
And here I thought you just wanted to be able to tell what the temperature was in certain parts of your place at an affordable cost.

On my LaCrosse unit, there's no subscription required and less you want it to alert you when the temperature is dip blower certain set temperature. I haven't bothered to do that, I just check it when I remember to.

You're right, and of course that's what I'll likely end up doing. I just wish I had time to figure out a better way. But it's getting colder, and having those sensors now, just like having the Honeywell thermostats when I wanted them, will probably take precedence over getting what I really want.

Yes, I would rather a local only solution (not requiring data sent to the cloud [in this case Honeywell as well as to my Smart Things account]). If I ever had time and energy to research and/or work on it...

ETA: This lack of time is because of that 4 letter word, w*rk. Too much time spent teaching computer science, not enough time doing computer science.

Don't feel bad, I'm retired and still don't have time to do that. My brand-new Raspberry PI is sitting next to me, still in the box, as I write this...

The pp-code Watchman works great

pp-Code Temperature, Humidity WiFi sensor, monitor and party-detect with email & SMS alerts

You can find them on Amazon.com or on their website personplacecode.com

Home monitor

We use the Canary All-In-One device. If you have good wifi at home, these is an economical home security system. You don't need a monthly plan, you can see live into the house with your connected device, it will show you the current home temp and humidity, along with any motion detected. https://canary.is/canary/

OP - Be sure to turn off your water.

We do this now on all trips after coming home and finding in the Summer, a toilet valve broke, spraying water all over.
We turn ours off inside the house where it come into the basement. Then I open a sink tap for a few seconds to take the pressure off the system (probably not needed).

Except if you have baseboard hot water heat- you can't shut off the main water supply. You can shut the valves at your toilets, sinks and washer, however.

or- just leave the water dripping a bit at the faucets to prevent pipes from freezing.

Last edited:
I have three of these Honeywell WiFi thermostats:
085267771955.jpg

I paid about $100, but I notice they're down to $70 now.

They are great, we find we use them SO much more than we ever thought we would.

cheaper refurbished or used off of craigslist!

during hurricane Irma our thermostat told us power was out, power was on, and I could dehumidify the place remotely!

install is tricky if no C power wire

things I do

- lacrosse on everything including ac overflow pan in attic
- stand alone cameras, bought some $15 per unit tplink last black friday. wife loves to look at her frozen driveway from florida. one camera on thermometer
- temp and leak alarms added to house alarm central station monitoring
- drain water
- wasserstein wifi motion detectors $12
- freedompop pay as you go cell data to run sensors so expensive internet suspended when not there
- second condo (mom) picks up wifi from first condo using outdoor router and repeater receiver
-

Back
Top Bottom