LTC policy for retirees??

I suspect OP's reasons for LTCI are probably valid, but I've heard too much of peeps paying for 20 or more years, only to be priced out by premium insurances. I'll investigate more, since maybe this is just anecdote, but I fear not.

The LTC facilities are more appealing, so that's at least a possibility, although my Mass grandparents did an early version of this, but when granddad got severe Parkinson's, it was game over; grandma went to live with Mom, but they probably didn't have the intensive care option version, and it did work for them for more than 20 years.

I have trouble believing I won't get priced out of premiums if I live close to what my grandparents did (died from 88-96, save for one who had breast cancer.) My bad habits may keep my lifespan more insurable, however.

You make some good points about the due diligence that one should do when evaluating CCRCs. However, I might add that no amount of due diligence will ensure that occupancy levels won't adversely change in the future; that the medical facility that appeared to be 5 Star quality and exceptional becomes a dive in the future when you need it or has limited capacity (and I have encountered this with a luxury level CCRC that consigns overflow patients/residents to another skilled nursing facility) that cannot meet the needs of a growing infirm population; that the food quality won't deteriorate because food staff is always looking for a better place to work; or that the plant facilities become obsolete with age. I don't mean to sound like a naysayer about CCRCs, but I'm convinced that only luxury/resort type levels of CCRCs, with strong financial bones and residents who can also augment the financial standing of the CCRC, are the only type of CCRCs that provide real peace and comfort in handling Life Cycle care for the long haul. Everything else is really marked by greater uncertainty.

Initial entrance fees, up to a point, are refundable. But let's say you have a Type A entrance fee of $450K, with a monthly maintenance fee for a husband and wife couple of $5K. After 18 months in many CCRCs that entrance fee is typically history and non-refundable.

I'm more inclined to look at hybrid type B or C Life Cycle CCRCs, with equity ownership in residential units, as these plans would dovetail with my LTCi in case I needed asssited living or skilled nursing care, but still these entrance fees in the type B or C places I have seen are 10 percent of the price of the units you buy, which result in entrance fees ranging from $180K to $40K -- with monthly maintenance fees of $5K plus.
Well raised points.

That is why how long the CCRC has been in existence and how they have managed the funds, growth, new buildings, new medical facilities, new amenities etc. are some of the factors to look at. The Occupancy level below 92% is a flag. A one-year blip (like in 2008) is OK but not otherwise.

Mylifesite dot net provides due diligence on the financial side and the fee for that service is worth spending. Fitch rating of A or higher is very important. I think only 5 non-profits in the country have that.

Regardless of the Type - A, B or C the entrance fee would depend on the size and amenities of the Villa, Townhome, or Condo for the independent living.

I will share my research and why we chose what we chose (warning – bit long to read but useful!)

We are moving to Willow Valley Communities, in Lancaster, PA (PA has no state income tax for the retirement income - Pension, SS, RMD etc.). They have 2,500 residents and 1400 employees.

The entrance fee at Willow Valley starts from $99K (~800 Sq ft. - Studio) to $500K (2 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, plus a den - about 2500 Sq ft.) The monthly (with food plan) can be from $2,500 to $6,000 (lower if single). Monthly does increase about 3-3.5% every year. One can opt out of the food plan (we plan to).

They have (like many) two other options 33% and 90% refundable but the cost is higher by ~28% to 80% higher. Our kids have enough and will have much more than we did when they retire so we decided to go for the non-refundable and we would use that money for fun, travel, charity, and investment ourselves! The breakeven point (6%) growth) was about 15 years - so the option you choose depends on your net worth, liquidity, your age, longevity (who knows!) etc. Most have chosen non-refundable. some 10% (of 2,500 residents) have chosen refundable but they are likely to be those who moved in there some 25-30 years ago.

Type B and Type C would have lower monthly fees since they will charge either discounted or the market rate cost of the Care IF and WHEN you need. But then (our logic) why would not I take a chance and stay where I am in a 55 + retirement community anyway and move to Assisted Living or Nursing home if and when I need it vs. paying non-refundable entrance fees and the monthly?

The website must be transparent – WV has pricing on the website along with all the layout (90 floor plans) before you even call them. Most don’t have that available easily.
We downsized from 3500 Sq ft to 1,800 Sq ft condo 11 years ago by moving to a 55 plus retirement community so we decided that we can still go lower with an option to change to higher Sq ft and higher price or to a still smaller when one of us passes away if so desired.

Of course, we paid the entrance fees but then I consider that if I rent a 2-bedrooms, 2 baths condo in NJ it would cost me $2,000 - $2,500 / month anyway so if we live for 10 years that entrance fee has covered our rent!

Our Monthly fee is $3,500 (w/o food plan). Considering that it would have cost us $2,500/month (our age 73.72) for a lifetime LTC of $125K anyway, I think that we get a good deal of amenities for $1,000/month more. No Utilities, no HOA fees, no mortgage, no property tax, no club fees etc. Normal routine maintenance is included – no handyman service needed.

Plus we can not get LTC even if we wanted because I am prediabetic and my wife has Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer.

Condos get housekeeping at $25/hr, villas and townhomes do not pay extra. Before we move in, our unit (though it is temporary if we decide to take the move option) gets new appliances, new carpet, new lighting, new wood floor, new carpet, new bathrooms, new paint etc. as part of the entrance fee. Every 10 years one gets the same renovation for free. Every building gets the renovation every 10 years also!
We took 1,200 Sq ft, 2 BDRM, 1.5 baths for an entrance fee of $245K. This has 2% per month declining so after 4 years it is zero refundable.

In 1-2 years, one would know whether this is for them or not. We stayed five times and met with 12 resident couples. Only regret that they all had was that they should have moved in earlier!

It is 201+ acres campus with townhomes, Villas, and six Condo buildings. Eleven dining rooms - some with Executive Chefs that require reservations. Two Clubhouses with large gyms, swimming pools, Bowling alley, Golf Simulator, video arcade, a modern 500 seat auditorium, classroom, conference rooms, Ballroom dance floor etc. Every building has a library, Dining Hall (some have two), Gym etc. Our building has 400 + apartments with Swimming Pool, Hot Tub, Billiards, Table Tennis, Woodshop, Model railroad shop, Art studio, 200+ seat auditorium, PNC Bank with safe deposit vault, a Pharmacy, a café, hair salon, spa and more. One out of four (The Glen) medical buildings is attached so just have to walk over from inside the building. A new memory ward is being built with the community concept. They just built new Vista Condos last year and in two years another building is planned.

A 7-course Golf course is free and 14-hole course club membership is $100/year with $25 for a 9-hole fee.

There is NO shortcut to choosing a good CCRC. I read 5 books, spent ~200 hrs. on the net and visited, talked to 10 CCRC and many residents before choosing Willow Valley. CON – we will be in the same cold weather as in NJ but like others, we will be snowbird as long as the body is capable of traveling! After that with all amenities in the building, we won’t need to run away in the winter.

Remember, it takes time to do due diligence and you have to be on the waiting list to get the unit that you want, and it may take several months to several years to get it.

So, plan ahead! For us, this is the last and final (but new and exciting) chapter of our life so the research was well worth it.

At 62, DW and I have been paying two years now for LTC. It's a difficult decision to make. First to buy at all and second, how much. Given we have assets and if we need LTC, I guess our world traveling days are behind us. We picked a policy amount that would likely cover about 50% of projected expenses and will self-insure the rest. The trigger was my mother-in-law's experience. At 80 moved into a retirement community and everything was fine. Had a fall and lost pretty much all mobility. From there into a senior foster care home and things escalated fairly fast. All in all, about 18 months. Costs ran to about $6K per month 10 years ago. She self-insured and all in all it was a pretty good experience for her and her kids. LTC can make sense depending on your asset base, age and available family support. Seems indispensable if you have no family to help you at end of life.

I am not sure that the kids will not be burdened by your LTCi.
You don't have to be sure - I am.

Typical avarage stay in a Nursing home is 3 years. In NJ a semi-private room can cost $125,000/year today. 10 years from now it will be ~$190,000. Would your LTCi pay that?
Between the LTCi benefits and the remainder of our portfolio, we are indeed covered.

So it is a roll of the die.
If you say so.

Most folks who say that use it as an excuse to do nothing. I choose to be prepared.

Look at the statistics and your family genetic history - though the family history does not mean much - no one had cancer in wife's family and she got colon cancer, same with my brother - but it gives a clue.
And nobody in my family had cancer either - until last November when I was diagnosed.

Hence it is a roll of a die!
Sure.

I can self-insure both DW and myself and we feel that gives us the most flexibility (make most care decisions ourselves instead of an insurance company or the gov't making them) and the kids won't have to fret.
Sounds great.

How much of your portfolio have you set aside for your potential long term care? How is it invested?

DW and I both bought policies at age 50. Company never had a rate increase, until they did. About 30%. We adjusted my policy benefits downward and kept my wife's where it was which roughly kept our premiums the same. Biggest concern is Alzheimer's in my wife's family including Mom, Mom's twin sister, brother, and aunt. Longevity is there in my family, but no history of Alzheimer's.

Father in law had an LTC policy and dropped it - exactly 3 years before Mother in law was diagnosed. It was a costly decision.

Our current coverage, each, is $732,00 over 60 months (5 years). That comes to $12,200 per month. So far, we have each spent about $27,000 on premiums. So up until now, the "boat-load" of money we could have banked instead of paying the premiums, is equal to just over 2 months worth of benefits. In the unlikely event that we live another 18 years, we would have paid the same amount as 4 months worth of benefits.

Alas, current polices are often not as inexpensive and for more limited amounts of time. Those looking today must navigate a LTC situation that is more expensive and not as thorough.

I looked at LTC a while back and came to the conclusion that it did not make sense (reward vs. risk) for any stay of one month to two years. Three years was OK, but stays over three years was just to darn expensive to insure against. Not so good.

What I want is something that will kick in after two years, cover me for life, and have some inflation adjustment. The long waiting period should keep the premium down since most stays are under two years. Or so I would hope.

Last edited:
Well raised points.

That is why how long the CCRC has been in existence and how they have managed the funds, growth, new buildings, new medical facilities, new amenities etc. are some of the factors to look at. The Occupancy level below 92% is a flag. A one-year blip (like in 2008) is OK but not otherwise.

Mylifesite dot net provides due diligence on the financial side and the fee for that service is worth spending. Fitch rating of A or higher is very important. I think only 5 non-profits in the country have that.

Regardless of the Type - A, B or C the entrance fee would depend on the size and amenities of the Villa, Townhome, or Condo for the independent living.

I will share my research and why we chose what we chose (warning – bit long to read but useful!)

We are moving to Willow Valley Communities, in Lancaster, PA (PA has no state income tax for the retirement income - Pension, SS, RMD etc.). They have 2,500 residents and 1400 employees.

The entrance fee at Willow Valley starts from $99K (~800 Sq ft. - Studio) to $500K (2 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, plus a den - about 2500 Sq ft.) The monthly (with food plan) can be from $2,500 to $6,000 (lower if single). Monthly does increase about 3-3.5% every year. One can opt out of the food plan (we plan to).

They have (like many) two other options 33% and 90% refundable but the cost is higher by ~28% to 80% higher. Our kids have enough and will have much more than we did when they retire so we decided to go for the non-refundable and we would use that money for fun, travel, charity, and investment ourselves! The breakeven point (6%) growth) was about 15 years - so the option you choose depends on your net worth, liquidity, your age, longevity (who knows!) etc. Most have chosen non-refundable. some 10% (of 2,500 residents) have chosen refundable but they are likely to be those who moved in there some 25-30 years ago.

Type B and Type C would have lower monthly fees since they will charge either discounted or the market rate cost of the Care IF and WHEN you need. But then (our logic) why would not I take a chance and stay where I am in a 55 + retirement community anyway and move to Assisted Living or Nursing home if and when I need it vs. paying non-refundable entrance fees and the monthly?

The website must be transparent – WV has pricing on the website along with all the layout (90 floor plans) before you even call them. Most don’t have that available easily.
We downsized from 3500 Sq ft to 1,800 Sq ft condo 11 years ago by moving to a 55 plus retirement community so we decided that we can still go lower with an option to change to higher Sq ft and higher price or to a still smaller when one of us passes away if so desired.

Of course, we paid the entrance fees but then I consider that if I rent a 2-bedrooms, 2 baths condo in NJ it would cost me $2,000 - $2,500 / month anyway so if we live for 10 years that entrance fee has covered our rent!

Our Monthly fee is $3,500 (w/o food plan). Considering that it would have cost us $2,500/month (our age 73.72) for a lifetime LTC of $125K anyway, I think that we get a good deal of amenities for $1,000/month more. No Utilities, no HOA fees, no mortgage, no property tax, no club fees etc. Normal routine maintenance is included – no handyman service needed.

Plus we can not get LTC even if we wanted because I am prediabetic and my wife has Stage 4 metastatic colon cancer.

Condos get housekeeping at $25/hr, villas and townhomes do not pay extra. Before we move in, our unit (though it is temporary if we decide to take the move option) gets new appliances, new carpet, new lighting, new wood floor, new carpet, new bathrooms, new paint etc. as part of the entrance fee. Every 10 years one gets the same renovation for free. Every building gets the renovation every 10 years also!
We took 1,200 Sq ft, 2 BDRM, 1.5 baths for an entrance fee of $245K. This has 2% per month declining so after 4 years it is zero refundable.

In 1-2 years, one would know whether this is for them or not. We stayed five times and met with 12 resident couples. Only regret that they all had was that they should have moved in earlier!

It is 201+ acres campus with townhomes, Villas, and six Condo buildings. Eleven dining rooms - some with Executive Chefs that require reservations. Two Clubhouses with large gyms, swimming pools, Bowling alley, Golf Simulator, video arcade, a modern 500 seat auditorium, classroom, conference rooms, Ballroom dance floor etc. Every building has a library, Dining Hall (some have two), Gym etc. Our building has 400 + apartments with Swimming Pool, Hot Tub, Billiards, Table Tennis, Woodshop, Model railroad shop, Art studio, 200+ seat auditorium, PNC Bank with safe deposit vault, a Pharmacy, a café, hair salon, spa and more. One out of four (The Glen) medical buildings is attached so just have to walk over from inside the building. A new memory ward is being built with the community concept. They just built new Vista Condos last year and in two years another building is planned.

A 7-course Golf course is free and 14-hole course club membership is $100/year with $25 for a 9-hole fee.

There is NO shortcut to choosing a good CCRC. I read 5 books, spent ~200 hrs. on the net and visited, talked to 10 CCRC and many residents before choosing Willow Valley. CON – we will be in the same cold weather as in NJ but like others, we will be snowbird as long as the body is capable of traveling! After that with all amenities in the building, we won’t need to run away in the winter.

Remember, it takes time to do due diligence and you have to be on the waiting list to get the unit that you want, and it may take several months to several years to get it.

So, plan ahead! For us, this is the last and final (but new and exciting) chapter of our life so the research was well worth it.

+1 Great overview of the process. We just completed a similar process for our move to a Type A CCRC. There are NO shortcuts for following the process you described. Others have posted about concerns about future changes in the CCRC management/competency. Basically it is no different to risks a person takes when they choose any new home. For example, discovering your neighbors are not what was expected, or condo management does not cover expenses and slaps owners with a bit HOA assessment, etc. Life has Risks.

My wife and I purchased LTCI when we were 54 yrs old. Have been paying for 5 years now. No increase in premiums! I'm sure it will sometime. But not afraid!
Both my parents and my wife's mother all spent allot of time in nursing homes and assisted livings. None of them had insurance. They saved money their whole life. And the nursing homes took nearly every penny. I will not let this happen to my money! My children will get some of my money.

I will share my research and why we chose what we chose

Jayanu-thx much for the detailed description of your research, analysis and decision. I think it’s very helpful for others to see the approach & math supporting your choice.

I note that you appear interested in CCRCs, which I likewise will probably pursue in a few years from now, having visited several in the last few years. While the type A form of CCRCs might protect you from the entire risk of LTC and is a prepayment of LTC, it nonetheless is still fraught with the same issues you identify as troublesome with LTCi, such as annual increases in monthly maintenance payments or future changes in coverage (that skilled nursing benefit you think you have, might not always be there, especially if the CCRC becomes financially challenged like some corporate CCRC parents have been in the past). No plan offers complete protection and I don't presume to have all my bases covered, but I'm content as you and others might be in self-insuring or going into a CCRC.

ChrisC-Well, we can agree that “no plan offers complete protection” and, that “... appear interested in CCRCs”, as that’s my clearly stated plan in many posts here. However, I don’t think it’s accurate to equate CCRC risks with LTCi risks by saying, “...[CCRCs] are fraught with the same issues you [ I ] identify as troublesome with LTCi...”. Here’s what I’ve learned about those respective risks.

LTCi History:
- 92% (24 of 26) of LTCi providers representing ~75% of the market have requested & received substantial premium rate increases.

- Those LTCi Rate increases have averaged ~42%, ranging as high as ~80% (Note: with some increase requests in the 200%-240% range)

- More than 33% of LTCi Policy holders have allowed their policy to lapse.

CCRC History:
- Beginning with the Great Recession in 2007/8 (the most difficult time to date for CCRCs), <1% of CCRCs (12 of 1,900) went bankrupt.

- In all cases, the CCRC remained open and residents were not required to relocate.

- Fitch rates the CCRC industry as “stable.”

I’m not trying to convince you to act one way or another; it’s clear we’ve made different choices to address the risk of LTC. What I am saying, however, is that the discussion has to start with and be largely based on “the numbers.” :flowers:

http://www.milliman.com/uploadedFiles/insight/2017/LTC-Rate-Increase-Survey.pdf

http://www.expertseniorplanning.com/ccrc-bankruptcy-rare-event-darling-fodder-critics/

https://retirementrevised.com/new-findings-on-long-term-care-policy-lapse-rates-raise-questions/

Last edited:
At the risk of opening a can of worms:hide:

Has anyone looked at hybrid Life/LTCi plans?

A friend was talking about one. 62 yo, $90k up front, $500k LI. Can draw up to 10%/year against LI for LTCi. LI value increases with "market".

I don't know any more about it, and it sounds a lot like a variable annuity (high fees, hard to fully understand). He did say there is underwriting involved, so the estimated cost "could" change.

Doesn't sound too attractive, but thought I would throw it in to the mix.

In the end, I pretty much agree with good ole “Rich_by_the_Bay’s” view on LTCi from back in the day.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/longS-term-care-options-27087-2.html#post506074

Speaking of Rich_by_the_Bay has anyone heard from him lately?

I had a glass of wine with a Millman actuary years ago where we discussed LTC. He admitted that his profession had used 'look back' data to estimate risk and didn't adequately account the impact of advancements in medical care.

Last edited:
At the risk of opening a can of worms:hide:

Has anyone looked at hybrid Life/LTCi plans?

In the research I’ve done, hybrid LTCi policies are talked about quite a bit these days; they have some supporters. I think that would be a good new thread if you’d like to do some research and start one.

Last edited:
Speaking of Rich_by_the_Bay has anyone heard from him lately?

No. And, I was wondering the same thing. When I quoted his post, I looked @ his profile & his last post was July 2016. Hope he’s doing well. I always enjoyed his posts.

Huston 55, I wish you would crunch numbers and enlighten us all about relative risks. Unfortunately, however, you appear to cherry pick statistics to prove your respective view that CCRCs are a much better financial deal than LTCi. Let me first say at the outset, perhaps redundantly, that I have an LTCi policy but I will likely also move into a CCRC in a few years. I will likely make a deposit for the CCRC I have been reviewing with great interest and thus place my name on the 4 year long wait list for this CCRC. Also, I live in a house, in which my wife and I can age in place and where home care if needed for LTC could easily occur (the house we live in was customized for a disabled child). I say all this because LTCi for home care would work for us as well, and LTCi when we move into the CCRC, assuming we're still healthy and fit in our early 70's, would work well for us as well if we needed home care, assisted living or skilled nursing care on the CCRC campus we're likely to plant roots. But our reasons for wanting to move into a CCRC are not entirely based on the LTC or end of life care this CCRC might provide us -- we have other highly personal reasons for doing this.

Now let's look at your numbers:

- 92% (24 of 26) of LTCi providers representing ~75% of the market have requested & received substantial premium rate increases.

Without defining "substantial premium rate increases" it's difficult to assess this statistic. Moreover, many LTCi providers, like mine, offer a menu of options for policy holders to deal with rate increases, which is mentioned in one of the studies you referenced. For instance, in my case I was given the option during the first cycle of rate increases (after 7 years of the same rate) to lower my inflation adjusted policy benefits from 5% to 4% and keep my premium payment at the same amount. The most recent cycle (after another 7 years of constant rates) offered similar options. I will say that my premium payment has gone from $1350 annually from 2003 to 2017, to current payment of $2004 for the next 7 years. I do anticipate another round of increases in 2024 and I'll assess the issue again if the added premium increase is excessive and does not comfortably fit our plans. Nonetheless, this naked statistic is meaningless without context, and who knows what the other carriers representing the remaining 25% of the market are doing -- perhaps they're lowering rates ;).

Those LTCi Rate increases have averaged ~42%, ranging as high as ~80% (Note: with some increase requests in the 200%-240% range)

Well, this naked statistic is certainly alarming, but what is the time period baseline for these rate increases? If these were happening yearly for the same carrier, I might be heading for the hills, but others here are reporting no increases in specified periods of time, so perhaps this average rate of increase over multi-year periods, though unnerving, is not as alarming as the naked figure might suggest.

More than 33% of LTCi Policy holders allow their policy to lapse.

I don't know what to make of this figure, since one of the initial underwriting problems with LTCi appeared to be that the insurance underwriting did not adequately predict the level of lapsed policies. The more lapse policies that occurs the better it is for those insured who continue to stay insured since it would seem that the insurer is raking in more profits from it policies due to lesser claims from lapsed policies. But having more lapsed policies might be disadvantageous to the lapsed policy holder who might have foregone the benefits of LTCi. Here's an article about the problem of lapsed policies from the consumer's standpoint. https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextav...are-insurance-policies-backfire/#53262767b9b7

U]CCRC History:[/U]
- Beginning with the Great Recession in 2007/8 (the most difficult time to date for CCRCs), <1% of CCRCs (12 of 1,900) went bankrupt.

- In all cases, the CCRC remained open and residents were not required to relocate.

- Fitch rates the CCRC industry as “stable.”

:yawn: Seriously, all this proves is that the CCRC industry is not suffering from major catastrophe. Sure many insurers have exited the LTCi market, but this only proves they stopped underwriting the product. Likewise, the fact that the CCRC might be "stable" despite big players like Erickson or HCR Manor, weaving in, out and around Chapter 11 Bankrutpcy does give one pause about the state of this stability as mentioned by "rating agencies" like Fitch who might be more like cheerleaders for an industry than dispassionate research analysts -- we know how these rating agencies in the Great Recession performed:LOL:. You're really stretching when you have to rely on Fitch to vouch for the safety and soundness of investment opportunities in an industry. And the question is really not whether residents had to relocate but whether the services they contracted are still there!

I don't think you've done a good enough presentation of the numbers that are criticial to a decision to enter a CCRC, but despite that, my reason for wanting to entering a CCRC does not solely gravitate around the "numbers" though I do want to enter a CCRC that can keep its promises and I'm willing to abide by the annual increases in monthly maintenance fees, even if I were not able to take full advantage of skilled nursing or end of life care as a result of my time in the CCRC lapsing before I could take advantage of it.

I've been listening to radio financial talk shows where they are recommending long term care (LTC) insurance policies for retirees.
This is something I have not looked into yet.

How many people do this?
Does it really make sense or is it another way to get your money?

I am 62yo, DW is 58, and 2 yrs from retiring. Finances look good so far
(100% on Firecalc) but, the thought of decimating savings if LTC pops up is disturbing.

Rob

This is a personal decision, but the policies are expensive. We chose not to and I was surprised to hear most of our friends our age also have not purchased them. One of them said when they tried to use his MIL's policy, the insurance company made them jump through hoops and denied her nursing help at home (she was terminal). This convinced him and his wife to not purchase their own. Again- having these insurance companies control your care. They don't want to pay out and will do everything possible not to. I really hate all insurance companies.

I just think there are too many variables in the maze of health care and long term care (and I worked in home health care most of my life so I have seen it all, not to mention dealing with my parents when they were old and sick).

Plus, the insurance companies can go k-plunk.

As for CCRC- they are so darn expensive I can't even believe it! I would have liked this as an option myself, but you have to be rich to live in them! Buy in's of like $200,000 to $300,000 and monthly fees of like $5000- $8000!! Ummm....yeah- right. Let me get my checkbook out right now. LOL!:LOL:

I guess this is why most folks just take there chances and deal with what comes. Stock up on sleeping pills or bullets.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Are you assuming or implying that folks are left with with a valueless policy because insurance companies are going "k-plunk"?

That doesn't happen.

I guess this is why most folks just take there chances and deal with what comes. Stock up on sleeping pills or bullets.:rolleyes:

Lots of folks talk about ending their life "early"... until they get old.

- "I wouldn't want to live like that"
- "Live fast. Die young. Go out in a blaze of glory."

It's more like "most folks" take their chances, then hope their family will take care of them when they need help.

+1 Great overview of the process. We just completed a similar process for our move to a Type A CCRC. There are NO shortcuts for following the process you described. Others have posted about concerns about future changes in the CCRC management/competency. Basically it is no different to risks a person takes when they choose any new home. For example, discovering your neighbors are not what was expected, or condo management does not cover expenses and slaps owners with a bit HOA assessment, etc. Life has Risks.

Wouldn’t moving out of a Type A CCRC after “buying in” be more complicated and expensive than selling a home and moving? Perhaps a different analogy would be better?

Last edited:
Sounds great.

How much of your portfolio have you set aside for your potential long term care? How is it invested?

I don’t care to share that level of detail regarding our investments or ongoing retirement income with you. I will say that either or both of us could move to a LTC situation for a decade without impoverishing the other and there would be no issue regarding liquidity as payments began.

This is a personal decision, but the policies are expensive. We chose not to and I was surprised to hear most of our friends our age also have not purchased them. One of them said when they tried to use his MIL's policy, the insurance company made them jump through hoops and denied her nursing help at home (she was terminal). This convinced him and his wife to not purchase their own. Again- having these insurance companies control your care. They don't want to pay out and will do everything possible not to. I really hate all insurance companies.

I just think there are too many variables in the maze of health care and long term care (and I worked in home health care most of my life so I have seen it all, not to mention dealing with my parents when they were old and sick).

As for CCRC- they are so darn expensive I can't even believe it! I would have liked this as an option myself, but you have to be rich to live in them! Buy in's of like $200,000 to $300,000 and monthly fees of like $5000- $8000!! Ummm....yeah- right. Let me get my checkbook out right now. LOL![emoji23]

Jayanu post recently referred to the one he is going into:

"The entrance fee at Willow Valley starts from $99K (~800 Sq ft. - Studio) to $500K (2 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, plus a den - about 2500 Sq ft.) The monthly (with food plan) can be from $2,500 to $6,000 (lower if single). Monthly does increase about 3-3.5% every year. One can opt out of the food plan (we plan to).*"

So if you're single it's only 99k and 1900/mo for class A. That seems very reasonable.

Imoldrnu is in a class C initial Illinois that has no entrance fee and a monthly of approx 2500. So it runs the gamut depending on where you want to be and what class you want. For someone really wanting to go into a CCRC but is iffy on costs, try a different state. It kinda goes with the price of real estate. Although even in Marin county in SF you can get a Class A studio for a buy in of 130k although with a heftier 4k monthly.

Last edited:
Medicaid doesn’t cover the risk of impoverishing your spouse.

This!! Spending down to a ridiculously low amount and impoverishing the other spouse BEFORE Medicaid will even trigger covering the nursing home bill does not sound like a fun way to spend my midlife year and my husband's elder years.

This!! Spending down to a ridiculously low amount and impoverishing the other spouse BEFORE Medicaid will even trigger covering the nursing home bill does not sound like a fun way to spend my midlife year and my husband's elder years.

Look into a medicaid compliant annuity. It may make it easier.

I don’t care to share that level of detail regarding our investments or ongoing retirement income with you. I will say that either or both of us could move to a LTC situation for a decade without impoverishing the other and there would be no issue regarding liquidity as payments began.
Okay. Sounds like a good plan. And it sounds like you have sufficient funds to self-insure.

Who wants to move to a cheap state just to live in a CCRC or live in a studio even if you are single?

Back
Top Bottom