LTC policy for retirees??

Sadly, I learned that Rich_in_Tampa/Rich_by_the_Bay passed away in January of this year. He was 69.

I was really bummed out after learning Rich had died. He was one of the most knowledgeable, supportive, and helpful contributors on this forum for many years.

Agreed, and sorry to hear that as well. Seems like many MDs are on the egotistical side, but he (and Meadbh, who stopped posting for some reason I did not understand), were super helpful and down to earth.

-ERD50

I was really bummed out after learning Rich had died. He was one of the most knowledgeable, supportive, and helpful contributors on this forum for many years.

Bummer! His posts over the years have been great.

This leads me to wonder how many folks who just seem to drop out of sight here ad other places have died or just gotten tired/bored of posting.

Bummer! His posts over the years have been great.

This leads me to wonder how many folks who just seem to drop out of sight here ad other places have died or just gotten tired/bored of posting.
I've wondered, too. IRL, we usually know when acquaintances (not necessarily close friends, just people we know and interact with on occasion) die. In fact, we usually know when they are ill. Somehow, we have mutual friends and we hear the news.

Online, we can talk a lot and then just slip away. I suppose some new set of social rules will arise, I don't know what they are.

I've wondered, too. IRL, we usually know when acquaintances (not necessarily close friends, just people we know and interact with on occasion) die. In fact, we usually know when they are ill. Somehow, we have mutual friends and we hear the news.

As much as I enjoy this site, it is not a substitute for flesh-and-blood relationships. I do admit it would be nice to meet a few of you avatars in person.

As much as I enjoy this site, it is not a substitute for flesh-and-blood relationships. I do admit it would be nice to meet a few of you avatars in person.

+1

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting just a few of us ‘in flesh-and-blood’, and found those meetings very pleasant. But, when I tried to arrange a SF Bay Area meetup ~ a year ago, it was very hard to generate much interest. In the end, only three of us met for lunch...to give one of us a nice ‘send off’, which I enjoyed very much.

I’m not sure if we value our anonymity, are too busy, are mostly introverts or, are just not interested in additional acquaintances/relationships. But, IMO we’re missing out on some enjoyable experiences.

Sadly, I learned that Rich_in_Tampa/Rich_by_the_Bay passed away in January of this year. He was 69.
Oh, no!

Often when I look at the Health and ER forum, I notice Rich's "New Category" sticky on the index page, and think that I have not seen a post from him in a long time. And here I was thinking he was probably just so busy being fully retired :(

REW, Thank You for sharing the news. News isn't always good.

Last edited:
+1

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting just a few of us ‘in flesh-and-blood’, and found those meetings very pleasant. But, when I tried to arrange a SF Bay Area meetup ~ a year ago, it was very hard to generate much interest. In the end, only three of us met for lunch...to give one of us a nice ‘send off’, which I enjoyed very much.

I’m not sure if we value our anonymity, are too busy, are mostly introverts or, are just not interested in additional acquaintances/relationships. But, IMO we’re missing out on some enjoyable experiences.

The meetup in SWFLA last year was wonderful and IIRC it was attended by ~15 folks.

Much too young. He moved to the Bay Area after retirement to be near his son and his family.

If you have more information please PM me as I would like to send a card to his widow and son.

No insurance, net worth, or safety net program will cover the entire risk of another spouse dragging the other into poverty, for whatever reason, including LTC. But dual LTCi and high net worth can help mitigate that risk, and ring fencing assets for the protection of a spouse, along with Medicaid, can provide some comfort for both a Medicaid consigned person and spouse.

I don't recommend reliance on Medicaid, but it is a possible and viable backstop for many. It is for me if all my belts and suspenders have been removed; my suggestion to many of my friends is to provide for the best care you can afford if faced with daunting health care issues, ring fence your assets around each other so that one does not impoverish the other, let the chips fall where they may fall and use the safety net programs as a last resort.
There is a risk in going for Medicaid. Your IRA can be attached to it.

Back
Top Bottom