Macbook problems

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have a Macbook about 3 yrs old. It has a power cable that plugs into
the 110v line with a small box one one end which I assume is a transformer/rectifier and then a magnetic connector to the computer.
Recently it seems that the magnetic connector is a bit fussy about how the connection is made and often the little orange/green light on the connector either does not light or lights only briefly and then goes off........I believe the intermittent connection is with the connector pins to computer pins and not the cable............once a good connection is made, if I hold the connector against the computer to keep a good connection and then wiggle the cable, there is no problem. What makes the pin to pin connection so temperamental now.....
just wearing out and need a whole new assembly soon? pins need cleaning? if so how? anything else?

Also twice today the screen went very dark so it was hard to see even when connected later to 110v. I pushed the on/off button to restore. What causes this? I thought it might be low on charge for the battery but it usually gives an early warning message when that happens.......none seen today.

We have the same problem with the magnetic charger connection. However, I believe that it a problem with the indicator light only. For my machine, the battery icon in the toolbar shows its lightening bolt batt.gif indicating the power supply is connected and charging even when the indicator light on the magnetic plug goes out.

Also, I believe that this is a problem with the male magnetic plug (part of the power supply) and not the female part in the computer. The problem follows the power supply to different computers and not the other way around.

About the screen going dark - this might just be the display going to sleep. Can you bring it back by jiggling the mouse or hitting a key?

i also have an issue with my macbook pro. the light on the magnetic plug doesn't come on right away. i leave it plugged in most of the time as we have it hooked up to our TV, but when i unplug it and use the macbook else where and plug it back in, it has to sit overnight until it starts charging and the light comes back on.

i've thought about taking it into a mac store, but it's such a pain and costs money...

you definitely need to make an appointment. and the appointment is free. if they're as elusive in the store as they are on the phone...you'll pony up cash eventually. i'm not real impressed with the apple warranty. i was still under warranty and had a problem with my battery. the person on the phone wouldn't help me w/o out running the risk of paying money b/c i didn't pay for applecare. may sound like a stupid question, but have we googled this?

in addition, i would have to go into a mall and i would rather be naked in the middle of a blacktop houston street in the middle of summer (face down) than clothed in a mall.

in addition, i would have to go into a mall and i would rather be naked in the middle of a blacktop houston street in the middle of summer (face down) than clothed in a mall.
What, you don't find the Galleria glamorous and exciting? :D

For something so specific, I think you'll have better luck searching Apple forums. Here is one support doc on troubleshooting charge issues:

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

I'd also search their 'discussions' forum.

FWIW, I just plugged in the two magsafe equipped MacBooks that we have here, and it took just a few seconds for the charge light to turn to green, indicating they were already at full charge. 3 years and 1 year of heavy use on these, no issues like this, so I can't offer more than that.

edit/add:

i also have an issue with my macbook pro. the light on the magnetic plug doesn't come on right away. .... it has to sit overnight until it starts charging and the light comes back on.

Just wondering - do you ever see the green light? Maybe it isn't functioning, so you don't see anything until it goes into charge mode (amber light, IIRC).

-ERD50

Thanks all for your helpful info.

ERD50........thanks for that link. I found this there
Additional Information
Whether your product is in or out-of-warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple-Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. You may be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge provided there are no signs of accidental damage.
Maybe I'm looking thru rose-colored glasses (or it's misleadingly written) but
doesn't that lead you to think that they might replace the adapter for free
if you didn't damage it regardless of warranty status?

IP.......thanks for the tip about the battery icon.......never even knew what that what was ...........and also for the diagnostic of interchanging adapters and computers (which I can't do bc I only have one of each; but the Apple store could. Here's what I found which is a bit worrisome.......the green light is necessary but not sufficient. I could have a green/orange light but still not get a lightning bolt on the computer unless I repositioned the connector..........but I could never get a lightning bolt unless I saw the
green/orange light.

re: screen going dark........no, I couldn't get it back by hitting a key as I can normally. I did notice that the computer was really warm at the time ....forgot to mention that in OP but perhaps it's relevant.

Would anyone be willing to give me (a recent PC convert) detailed instructions on how to download stock prices using Iwork 08 ? thanks

Our power adapter had various problems (mostly caused by user), and they fixed it for free. I see a lot of negatives about Apple service, but my kid has gone to different stores for repairs, and it is always above and beyond the call of duty. For instance, they replaced a chipped keyboard for free.
The plug end could be the problem, as ours was. The flexing of the magnetic end also causes the copper inside to break. Of course it does not all go at once.

Back
Top Bottom