Majorly myopic - how to save $ on glasses?

Do these online places require a prescription, like a scan of it, or do you just enter the prescription values yourself into a table to order?

I've only used Zenni Optical, and I entered the prescription values directly onto the website when ordering.

When I first used zenni.com about 3 years ago I entered my Rx and had to send them a copy of my Rx. When I ordered glasses this year for DW and myself, they didn't ask for a copy of the Rx's.

As I near my FIRE date, I realize how much insurance and flex spending I have squandered during my employment, on Varilux progressives, Coach frames, prescription sunglasses, special computer lenses... that money is feeling much more tangible than it did before. I'll be on the ACA for 15 years, if it survives that long, and few of the plans cover vision care outside of emergencies.

Do you have a thrifty plan for prescription glasses in retirement? My reading prescription hasn't stabilized yet, so I may need new lenses yearly, but I feel like I could be more strategic in how I purchase them. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I have worn glasses since I was a preteen so generally I don't go for cheap frames. they are the firs thing people see on my face so I guess I'm vain enough that I want really nice frames.
I have a great optometrist who has updated my lenses when it changed. so if you find a great frame that you like and looks good, ask if they can put new lenses in it if your prescription changes.

I am extremely near sighted and wear fairly fancy contacts. I got tired of making my eye dr's boat payments and switched to Costco. Very happy with the doc in the box there and Costco for lenses.

Back
Top Bottom