Man Loses 198# in 10 Months

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Man loses 198 lbs., wins bet with wife Photos | Man loses 198 lbs., wins bet with wife Pictures - Yahoo! News

He bets his wife, then turns around and loses 198#. Take away, never challenge this guy unless you want to lose your bet.

The other thing I notice looking at these pictures, is that I can't really tell when people are fat. His before pictures don't look all that fat to me. More like any guy in a sports bar or walking down 1st Avenue to a Seahawks game.

How overweight does someone need to be before he looks fat? 250#? 300#?

Ha

Last edited:
Obviously it depends on how tall they are and how much muscle they have. There could be 2 guys 6'4" 275lbs with one of them having 10% body fat and the other having 30%+. One will look athletic, the other quite obese.

Obviously it depends on how tall they are and how much muscle they have. There could be 2 guys 6'4" 275lbs with one of them having 10% body fat and the other having 30%+. One will look athletic, the other quite obese.
True, but this guy clearly was obese, not NFL. He still didn't look all that fat. If I make pilgrimage to the suburbs and Wal-Mart, I'll see guys who could hide him in their overalls.

Ha

He looked taller than average and the excess weight was fairly evenly distributed. If all the weight is in your gut it's more noticeable. Baggy clothes help hide it as well.

The other thing I notice looking at these pictures, is that I can't really tell when people are fat. His before pictures don't look all that fat to me. More like any guy in a sports bar or walking down 1st Avenue to a Seahawks game.
You just needed to find different pictures to look at:

Before:
10230329-large.jpg

After:

10230309-large.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like he went from 350 to 150

My wife would love to get rid of 190 lbs of ugly fat.

Me.

The guy looks emaciated and unwell. There's such a thing as overdoing it.

He looks good to me. I imagine he is a lot more fun for his kids too. Must have been hard to run around with the kiddies at his ~360 weight.

And ladies- who would you rather mash with- Mr. Before, or Mr. After?

Ha

Good for him! Spending a lot of time at a gym with healthy people, has reset my eye. A person at a healthy weight does look emaciated if all you normally see are average Joe and Jane Americans today. I'm not throwing stones, I need to lose weight myself. Maybe I'll bet DH I can drop 20! No wait, I'd lose.

toofrugalformycat said:
Good for him! Spending a lot of time at a gym with healthy people, has reset my eye. A person at a healthy weight does look emaciated if all you normally see are average Joe and Jane Americans today. I'm not throwing stones, I need to lose weight myself. Maybe I'll bet DH I can drop 20! No wait, I'd lose.

+1. I've lost 30 pounds since last May. People are telling me I'm too skinny even though I still weigh 15 lbs more than I did at high school graduation.

We've gotten so used to seeing 'big' that I think our brains see that as normal now.

... The other thing I notice looking at these pictures, is that I can't really tell when people are fat. His before pictures don't look all that fat to me...
I believe this series of pictures was taken when he was already well on the way to lose some serious pounds. Hence, they were misleading.

In an interview, this guy said he decided to lose weight when he realized he had difficulties getting off the couch, and saw the disappointment in his wife's and kid's faces. He was consuming 8,000 to 10,000 calories a day!

He weighs 168 lbs., a few more lbs. than DH. He is probably a lot healthier than he was 10 months ago. Good for him.

But isn't it supposed to be hard on the health to lose massive amounts of weight that fast? I'd be worried that he might have lost muscle, especially worried about heart muscle.

Not that I'm in any danger of ever losing weight too fast, so maybe this is a sour grapes post? :LOL:

+1. I've lost 30 pounds since last May. People are telling me I'm too skinny even though I still weigh 15 lbs more than I did at high school graduation.
Congratulations, and ignore them, they are just jealous.

Ha

But isn't it supposed to be hard on the health to lose massive amounts of weight that fast? I'd be worried that he might have lost muscle, especially worried about heart muscle.

Not that I'm in any danger of ever losing weight too fast, so maybe this is a sour grapes post? :LOL:

I know, I try not to lose weight too fast either--I like to take several months to drop a couple of pounds :).

I don't think he lost it "too fast", though--one article said he lost 40 lbs. the first month (at that weight, probably a ton of water that first month), so for the next 9 months it's what, 3 to 4 lbs. a week? And he worked out six days a week, so preserved muscle mass. Maybe his heart was more at risk when he had those extra 200 lbs. to pump blood to.

My crystal ball tells me a publisher has already signed him up to tell his "secret" to weight loss.

The wife should now get on the stick.

He drank 12 sodas per day!

He looks good to me. I imagine he is a lot more fun for his kids too. Must have been hard to run around with the kiddies at his ~360 weight.

And ladies- who would you rather mash with- Mr. Before, or Mr. After?

Ha

I would go for Mr. Half way mark !:)

I just saw him and his family on GMA. Amazing what he ate before going a diet. He sounded sincere in keeping it off, but I would like to see a follow up segment 2 years from now. With a supporting family behind him, hopefully he will.

Back
Top Bottom