Ten year early retirement update

I missed that witty CFB voice. Sounds like you haven't lost that even with all of your travails. I hope you decide to stick around for a while and join in the fray at your previous level.

Wow, CFB, one of us really early one returns! Sorry to hear about your luck, I've never had a big piece of cr*p fall on me but I have been through a divorce. Just one thought, in Mass, there is a law that even though you are divorced, you can allow the other person to stay on your health insurance, as long as you pay the difference in the premiums. Even if you put this in the divorce, you don't have to allow them access to it, it's just something you can do. If your soon-to-be ex and you can get along well enough to look into this, maybe you can stay on her health insurance.

As for me, I was off for about 2 years, now back to work. Hoping to get out by 45 if all of the FIRE stars align.

Good luck and hope to see you around the place more.

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the wringer you've been through but it sounds like you're on track to recover well in all regards.

Welcome back. Heard lots about you - mostly unbelievable. :D The last 10 years sound like quite a story.

All of the stuff you heard that sounded good was a lie, everything else was the truth. :)

Better other kids in your house that your children somewhere else?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :) Video game room, basketball court, every sports ball in existence, every skateboard/scooter/bike/hybrid rideable, puppies, a candy bowl and a freezer full of frozen pizza = you won't ever wonder where your kid is, and neither will the parents of any other kid in the neighborhood.

It was funny because a new family moved in with a couple of kids in the right age range (which is pretty liberal, like 5-15 at this point) and within two hours both kids were playing with the usual crowd, and my driveway looked like a bicycle junkyard. I sent one home to report their whereabouts, but apparently that didn't get communicated and I had worried parents at the door an hour later, alerted only by the bicycle 'marker buoys' outside.

Its actually easier to have 5 kids in the other room than just Gabe. They keep each other busy, I break up a disagreement once or so an hour, and lob a pizza onto the table every 4 hours.

However, looks like I have to keep an eye on the boy. He lured the 14 year old girl from across the street up into his room to watch a movie and came down asking me to cut up some strawberries for her. This after he got me in trouble at 3.5 for kissing on some 5 year old at the park.

As for me...not a damn thing. It's just later the same day...

Whew...you've been through the wringer. Sure is good to know that you have not only survived all the 'fun', but are beginning to flourish.

Welcome back darlin'. :)

Good to be back. Not sure for how much or how long, but when stuff is changing all around you, an old pair of shoes can be comforting! :)

Things aren't so bad, at least not yet. We'll see how it goes. I expect a lot of aggravation for a while until we fall into a new routine and straighten everything out, but this too shall pass.

Time to blossom again...:angel:

[
However, looks like I have to keep an eye on the boy. He lured the 14 year old girl from across the street up into his room to watch a movie and came down asking me to cut up some strawberries for her. This after he got me in trouble at 3.5 for kissing on some 5 year old at the park.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, you will have your hands full with him!
Welcome back :)

Welcome back, fartblossom...:)

Sorry, its all the split pea soup I've been eating the last few days. Note to self: stop making full recipes for families of six.

Nice though, I grilled some smithfield ham steaks over charcoal, made a nice basic green split pea soup with chicken stock, carrots, onions, garlic, italian seasoning and a large chunk of cajun spiced tasso seasoning ham, which at the end of the cooking got diced up, as did the ham steaks.

One of my dieting secrets...I found a little local charcuterie up the road with a monthy membership club. I get rabbit confit, duck pastrami, specialty sausages, all sorts of pate's, rillettes, and some nice condiments like whole grain mustard and apple ketchup. Most items are made from locally raised grass fed meats and the produce from her husbands family farm. Price is right too. Smaller amounts of delicious things makes for a very satiating diet. :dance:

All of the stuff you heard that sounded good was a lie, everything else was the truth. :)

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :) Video game room, basketball court, every sports ball in existence, every skateboard/scooter/bike/hybrid rideable, puppies, a candy bowl and a freezer full of frozen pizza = you won't ever wonder where your kid is, and neither will the parents of any other kid in the neighborhood.

It was funny because a new family moved in with a couple of kids in the right age range (which is pretty liberal, like 5-15 at this point) and within two hours both kids were playing with the usual crowd, and my driveway looked like a bicycle junkyard. I sent one home to report their whereabouts, but apparently that didn't get communicated and I had worried parents at the door an hour later, alerted only by the bicycle 'marker buoys' outside.

Its actually easier to have 5 kids in the other room than just Gabe. They keep each other busy, I break up a disagreement once or so an hour, and lob a pizza onto the table every 4 hours.

However, looks like I have to keep an eye on the boy. He lured the 14 year old girl from across the street up into his room to watch a movie and came down asking me to cut up some strawberries for her. This after he got me in trouble at 3.5 for kissing on some 5 year old at the park.

Word to the wise: be careful about maing sure there are never any misunderstandings. Your kind of set up is of course completely harmless, but a divorced guy with "free candy" in the house and lots of kids running around raises the risk for wagging tongues and misunderstandings.

Dude! bunnywithapancakeonitshead! Good to see your words again.

CFB, welcome back! You've been missed.

Sorry to hear about your health and divorce.

omni

Welcome back..............I have missed you. The forum just got a whole lot mroe interesting..........:)

Wow...I can't believe it's been that long.....

Welcome back! Sorry about the pending divorce thing. Been there, done it...not fun.

Welcome back.

Soooo other than a few minor adventures how are things really?

:ROFLMAO: :greetings10:

heh heh heh - great to hear from you. :cool:

I was pouring booze down my throat like I was getting paid to do it, but after a year of hard work I've ... quit drinking ... decided to stop being a fat alcoholic ...

I heard about all the layoffs at the wine boxing factory in Lodi. Now it makes sense. ;)

Welcome back CFB. Hope things keep getting better for you, and I'm sure they will, you are definitely one smart bunny and a survivor desipte the bad times.

Word to the wise: be careful about maing sure there are never any misunderstandings. Your kind of set up is of course completely harmless, but a divorced guy with "free candy" in the house and lots of kids running around raises the risk for wagging tongues and misunderstandings.

Eh, I'll just work it out with their mommies while the kids are in school. Somebody did say I needed more hobbies :angel:

If that doesn't work, I have two video cameras inside the house that record everything. Which by the way, ends all of those "he said/she said" arguments in the game room.

Welcome back - you know that bacon thread is still going - you should head on over there and add to it :)

Sorry to hear about the travails, but you seem like a resilient guy.....and that attitude gets one very far.

Welcome back, time flies. I am kind of intrigued by this, I don't think it means more money, so what is it?

Retirement wise, a lot of people ask if you can go too early and I always said "HELL NO!", but I found as I approached 50 I wished I'd done more, but I've been out of work for nearly 12 years now and I think I'd have a hell of a time getting myself employed right now.

Thanks for the update, it's nice to know what has been going on with you.

Congratulations on dropping the weight and regaining your health. I hope the next four years are a bit smoother for you.

-helen

And to join the "welcome home, thanks for the update" chorus, good to hear that after a rough patch, things are looking good in the CFB world. I had to share the geriatric pet part with DH, as we've got that situation around here, though I'm glad yours are still hanging in there. And congrats on raising what sounds like a great kid in Gabe!

There are still plenty of times we will be trying to decide something or another around the house, and I'll think: now what would CFB do? Wish we'd had your input before we started the latest, which is jacking up the sinking house, thanks to some issues with the I-beams. Ah the joys of home ownership.

Again, thanks for the update and the good news, and sorry for the bad news in there, too. I hope the split remains amicable, your health continues to improve, and Gabe grows up to be much like his dad.

Welcome back, time flies. I am kind of intrigued by this, I don't think it means more money, so what is it?

Its just about accomplishment. I've seen a lot of people in their 30's and early 40's who ask "Am I retiring too soon?". 12 years ago I said "I've traveled around 2/3 of the world, worked a lot of crazy jobs from short order cook to systems programmer to salesman to middle management, dated like crazy and taken on all sorts of insane challenges, and it all worked out. Am I done? Yeah. Time to be a husband and father and be satisfied with that."

The right answer was "I'm done for a while, then I'm going to want to do more" especially when the husband thing goes out the window".

So while I often said "Go now if you can", my advice to young dreamers is to hang in there and not be looking back when they're in their 50's and 60's, wishing they'd done more. Its not about money. Not that money hurts.

I can probably go to 90 without working, but a little part time job with health benefits would go a long way to assuring that.

Welcome back - you know that bacon thread is still going - you should head on over there and add to it :)

Sorry to hear about the travails, but you seem like a resilient guy.....and that attitude gets one very far.

I'll get by, I've dealt with tougher stuff than this and lived. The old "this too shall pass" works well.

I eat a piece or two of bacon every day, although I've fallen into the precooked bacon trap. Its too easy to buy a pound of cooked bacon at costco for ten bucks. Every once in a while I get some nice niman ranch applewood smoked stuff, and my charcuterie girl also makes her own absolutely delicious bacon, and I get that in my club pack.

Made my own a couple of times, but I went off the pork belly path and made bacon from baby back ribs. Won't keep like bacon as the bones dont fully cure, but cured for 4 days, smoked and grilled and you're eating baby backs that taste like bacon. Oh look, I have a picture! Now I just need a rabbit so I can put this on its head...

Attachments

• Rib bacon.jpg
    Rib bacon.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 5
I hope the split remains amicable, your health continues to improve, and Gabe grows up to be much like his dad.

The split is going pretty wobbly, but I think it'll be okay. Since we already did the financial split, the intellectually hard part is done. I think doing that while dealing with emotional issues and a total change of routine and lifestyle is too much for most people. Its too much for me, to be sure. My BP has been nice since I lost weight, but during our last big hard discussion I hit 170/105 for a while and had to destress for two days.

Gabe is a total mini-me. Which sometimes isn't that great. Like when he was 3.5 and we were taking a walk and some lady did the old "I think I'll back down my driveway at warp 5 while looking forward and talking on the phone" manuever, and when I started banging on her trunk so she wouldn't run us over, Gabe yelled out "Hey douchebag!".

Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom