March Madness

How about those Tar Heels? What a close and exciting game! I’m an alum and both my kids attend there now. They reported that it was utter madness, fun and crazy in town last night. Definitely more than the normal UNC-beats-Duke chaos.

Reporting from New Orleans. We Tar Heels are still partying, have not slept a wink. What a game, it was so nerve wracking my DH said his blood pressure must have been 200/180. Now on to the championship game against Kansas who looked pretty good last night. Go Tar Heels!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
How about those Tar Heels? What a close and exciting game! I’m an alum and both my kids attend there now. They reported that it was utter madness, fun and crazy in town last night. Definitely more than the normal UNC-beats-Duke chaos.

I saw pictures from downtown Chapel Hill last night, what party there, wish I could have been there but I am in New Orleans. I only live a block from downtown Chapel Hill. I checked with my neighbors and the say my house is still standing. :dance:

Congrats to the Tar Heels, they definitely earned the win. Hopefully you have another big celebration Monday night harllee.

One of the nice things about being a stranger in a strange land (native Midwesterner now in NC Triangle) is you don’t live or die with either UNC or Duke fortunes. They are fiercely loyal to one or the other here.

I am slightly partial to UNC as I come from a similar environment but am happy to root for Duke when appropriate. This year? Go Heels!

It's a crying shame that 2 of the 3 women in your nuclear family have gone to the dark side. And it can't be offset even though the other one had the good sense to attend UNC, the nation's preeminent public institution. I'd seriously consider disowning the Blue Devil daughter. Coach K in particular is an agent of Satan and I don't differentiate by color. By now you probably have realized that I will be watching the game and rooting for The Heels to administer a whipping that makes the season finale in Cameron look like a slap on the wrist.

U.C. Berkeley and U. of Michigan would like to have a word.:)

Providence. (note my screen name)

I obviously missed that call, so hoping that Carolina beats the team that knocked Providence out.

BUT, great to see that the Friars’ Head Coach, Ed Cooley, was just named Naismith Coach of the Year. Congratulations, Coach, and thanks for a great season!

It's a crying shame that 2 of the 3 women in your nuclear family have gone to the dark side. And it can't be offset even though the other one had the good sense to attend UNC, the nation's preeminent public institution. I'd seriously consider disowning the Blue Devil daughter. Coach K in particular is an agent of Satan and I don't differentiate by color. By now you probably have realized that I will be watching the game and rooting for The Heels to administer a whipping that makes the season finale in Cameron look like a slap on the wrist.

I'm thrilled to report that, if he's a rodent of his word, we will never again have to be subjected to seeing that rat in a suit (or more recently a fleece) on the Duke bench. He can ruminate for years on how the Heels ruined his going away party at Cameron. And then repeated that humiliation in the Final Four. But, with any luck, the National Championship trophy will sit a mere 7 miles up Tobacco Road. So he can go view it if he is looking for something to do in retirement. Couldn't happen to a more deserving rodent.

I'm thrilled to report that, if he's a rodent of his word, we will never again have to be subjected to seeing that rat in a suit (or more recently a fleece) on the Duke bench. He can ruminate for years on how the Heels ruined his going away party at Cameron. And then repeated that humiliation in the Final Four. But, with any luck, the National Championship trophy will sit a mere 7 miles up Tobacco Road. So he can go view it if he is looking for something to do in retirement. Couldn't happen to a more deserving rodent.
Classy

harllee, I’ll be rooting for you and your heels tonight!

No dog in this race, and all my brackets were blown away, so I am just looking for a good back-and-forth game tonight.

Disappointed but my Tar Heels had a great run. What a fun Final Four.

Mostly, I'm happy that it's over! I'm also disappointed that UNC was defeated, as I would have liked to see an ACC team take it. Here's an interesting read about why we all like to hate Duke. Well, I don't feel anything strongly about any sports team, but why a good few people like to hate Duke. The article was from 2015, when Duke won the championship. https://observer.com/2015/04/why-do-we-all-hate-duke/

What puts Duke so squarely in our crosshairs is that they clearly do not exist on the other side of this gap. They do not have endowments like Harvard or Stanford. They do not have freaks of nature on their team like Kentucky or Kansas. We look at their bench or their student section and we do not see Anthony Davis and John Wall or the next Sergey Brin and Larry Page. We see versions of ourselves, of our kids. And we hate them for it because if they are not from the other side of the gap, they are from our side. And that means they succeeded by doing things right, by doing things we didn’t do: practicing the fundamentals, working hard, studying, sacrificing, persevering, delaying gratification. It’s the same reason people can’t stand Mormons or mock the humility of the heartland. They’re too good to be true.

Of course, I picked the only paragraph that was complementary. Read the article if you want to be critical of how the now-retired coach looks when he's yelling at the officials, lol!

Last edited:
I am driving back to Chapel Hill from New Orleans and the Final Four. What a fun trip and I am proud how far my Tar Heels went. There is nothing like being at a Final Four, if any of you get a chance to go to one definitely do (although it was pretty pricey between the cost of the tickets $$$ and the hotel room in New Orleans $$$$). I just hope that we did not catch Covid--there were lots of hugs and high 5s.

Regarding Duke and Coach K--the main reason I am not a fan of the now retired Coach K is how he treated his players. I have seats in the UNC Smith Center where I was able to see and hear what Coach K said to his players--I was always astounded that he cursed his own players. If I were a player (or a parent of a player) I would not have wanted to be subjected to that harassment by my own Coach.

Back
Top Bottom