Massive Google Outage

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
7:05 EST 14-Dec-20. Google services worldwide are down. Big time.

Gmail, youtube, google voice.

Search works tough.

When I call my home number, which uses Google Voice, my cell phone says "Server Error". No ring, no fast busy.

The other services throw various errors.

It's a pretty big outage. Should be interesting to see where this goes.

Lots of schools use these services for classes. Hmmm.

Hmm, this morning, Ihave got a Google pop up, twice, wanting me to sign in.

Last edited:
Seems to be back. Nothing to see here. :)

It was about 1 hr long.

Earlier I logged in and had no mail, but I checked again and my gmail seems fine. Perhaps they’re back online.

There are reports of a massive hack that includes both business and government. From the FT https://www.ft.com/content/3a635e09-221c-49af-a582-97bc4e803747
The US has issued an emergency warning after discovering that “nation-state” hackers hijacked software used by almost all Fortune 500 companies and multiple federal agencies to gain entry to secure IT systems.

Hundreds of thousands of organisations around the world use SolarWinds’ Orion platform. The US department of Homeland Security’s cyber security arm ordered all federal agencies to disconnect from the platform, which is used by IT departments to monitor and manage their networks and systems.

FireEye, a leading cyber security company that said it had fallen victim to the hack last week, said it had already found “numerous” other victims including “government, consulting, technology, telecom and extractive entities in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East”.

The cyber security company said it believed the hacking campaign “may have begun as early as spring 2020 and is currently ongoing” after hackers managed to insert malware into SolarWinds software updates.

Earlier I logged in and had no mail, but I checked again and my gmail seems fine. Perhaps they’re back online.

There are reports of a massive hack that includes both business and government. From the FT https://www.ft.com/content/3a635e09-221c-49af-a582-97bc4e803747
Ah, thanks. I'd bet that google cut the cord and got their ducks in a row over this issue before coming back online.

There may be other disruptions with other services today. Solar winds is widely deployed.

I woke up this morning at 6; my Nest (Google product) thermostat was programmed to dial the temperature up from 55 to 65 at 6:30. I reached for my phone and the app wouldn't connect to the Internet. Gmail also stopped updating. Grumbled, dressed, got up and turned it up manually. I'd updated the app last night and thought that was the issue. Went through the madness of "migrating" the account to Google and it started working again. Might have been a mix of Google and app problems.

My late husband grew up poor, in a tiny house heated by a potbellied stove. This is definitely a first-world problem.

My late husband grew up poor, in a tiny house heated by a potbellied stove. This is definitely a first-world problem.

It is until it isn't. The hacks are getting better and more widespread and this is concerning to me. People assume "everything will be OK" but it sure seems like there are some valiant attempts to seriously disable the internet...and if they are successful....well, I don't even want to consider the ramifications.

I was curious as to who their customers are and...well, it's expansive. You get a 404-error page if you try and find it live on their website, but the cached version is attached. Some of the names:

-More than 425 of the Fortune 500
-All Top 10 Telecommunication Cos
-All Branches of the Mil
-Top 5 Accounting Firms in the US
-Fed Reserve Bank
-Ernst and Young

This is quite troubling.

Attachments

• Solar.jpg
    Solar.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 39
This is a good 9-pager on other attacks and the Fireye attack last week.
https://www.crn.com/slide-shows/sec...know-about-the-state-sponsored-fireeye-hack/1

Sorry to scare ya more. But they're hitting us with tools developed here.

Although I think it is scary, it serves as an important reminder to make sure you are as secure as you can be. Personally, I have gone into my financial accounts to make sure I have enabled any/all security functions they have available.

Probably not a bad idea to review the policies of said financial institutions in case you lose money in some advanced hack, either.

I am glad I am *not* a cybersecurity expert/employee these days.

Phew! Thank goodness I didn't have the urge to Google "Do deer have gall bladders?" or "Is there a proper name for the back of the knee?" during that time period :LOL:

Phew! Thank goodness I didn't have the urge to Google "Do deer have gall bladders?" during that time period :LOL:

I feel bad for my DW. Her company was bought out recently and they have just finished migrating all their stuff from Office 365 to Google Workspace and today was the FIRST DAY using it...and well, it's been an absolute clusterf* :blush: Perhaps this will be the impetus to convince her to retire!!!

That's the nice thing about being on the West Coast. We can sleep in 3 hours & by that time the outage is fixed!

I thought I saw a headline that Apple apps were having trouble this morning

... they have just finished migrating all their stuff from Office 365 to Google Workspace and today was the FIRST DAY using it...

Well, another headline says the Russians just hacked the Office 365 servers used by the federal government, so maybe her company shouldn't worry so much about having migrated off it.

The more things move to the cloud, the more I prefer local stuff.

I woke up this morning at 6; my Nest (Google product) thermostat was programmed to dial the temperature up from 55 to 65 at 6:30. I reached for my phone and the app wouldn't connect to the Internet. Gmail also stopped updating. Grumbled, dressed, got up and turned it up manually. I'd updated the app last night and thought that was the issue. Went through the madness of "migrating" the account to Google and it started working again. Might have been a mix of Google and app problems.

It's not a first world problem, it's a "let someone else have control over your thermostat problem".

:cool:thx...I'm slow.

And it says its inputs suspected 'since last spring'.
Part of my systems been acting inordinate since same timeline

Good luck & Best wishes.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom