Retirement and the inevitable ‘side hustle’ for an antsy guy

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It is Thursday, the 4th official weekday of my retirement. It actually feels longer because I had about a week of vacation prior to my retirement. So you might wonder what have I been doing with this “retirement you can do whatever you want time” You know time that everyone is so desirous of getting to? Well working - kind of that is. Yeah I said it working.

I was a developer in my pre-retirement life and the truth is I love technology. I believe after 30 something years of continuous employment I can modestly say I have an aptitude for it. I had a notion I’d build a website and offer development skills. Under my terms of course - reasonably interesting work and I work remotely. I quietly tested this a few years ago and sure enough I did land some work. I’ve been listening to the side hustle podcast and have loved it. I don’t need to work but its kind of fun. If I am fortunte and to land some work- anything I earn I spend on fun stuff.

So what do you need to offer remote consulting (really more freelance coder)?
Well:
1. An internet connection. Already had.
2. A Laptop/Desktop PC I bought myself a nice solid state laptop
a few years ago (no hard drive)
3. Microsoft Office - ties to the coding I do. $118
4. A web hosting service to put that website on $130 - My contract allows for multiple site a site contract might be half that.
5. Finally a headphones with a built in microphone $40. I build how to videos on you tube that are featured on my site.
6. A cell phone
7. Patience

If you add it all up I am into this for roughly $288. I remember a friend of mine saying the best business to go into was one with a low initial investment. So If it all goes to Hades- well no big deal. I figure the real investment is my time hopefully I have lots.

In the years since my foray into coding for hire the website development world has changed. The good news is the website software Wordress, that 30% of the world uses to build their sites, is free. Yup free. I watched many Youtube videos and took a me a bit to learn what I needed to get my website up and running. It is only the beginning though; I need to add lots more content. You see I say: Hi I am RayinPenn experienced developer call me and ill work for you but, Funny thing Lots of people do that too. Demonstrations are necessary to show I really am the bees knees of coders. (There is no place for modesty on a resume of work). Then there’s that thing called SEO (search Engine Optimization). Basically just because someone types into Google “Coder + better than the bees knees” that my site will show in the first 1000 entries. Getting to the first page is key. - This will take time. I created a business facebook page and I’ll have to add content there as well. I estimate it will are 6 months to the site and FB to where I want it to be and probably a year to see if it is viable . My goal is to add at least 1 piece of content each day.

In the mean time I’ve learned a skill: How to build websites in Wordpress. Accordingly to the podcasts I’ve listened to, you should charge for what you know. So I think i’ll build another website featuring some short stories I’ve written. Don’t worry Ive got a awesome proof reader. Then I’ll build a website offering website design where I’ll offer my skills as a websites developer.

Maybe my inclination to work was inherited- My Dad took a buyout early and tried a few ventures in his retirement. He did voiceovers and had a brief acting career.

Its 30 degrees outside with gusts up to 40MPH -So what is a fellow to do?

Last edited:
Retirement and the inevitable ‘side hustle’

Hey guys for me - an antsy guy... wish I could change the tittle to:

the inevitable side hustle for an antsy guy- Me

I think it's neat that you have no-risk options for a side hustle, since you seem to want one.

Last year, I created a hobby web site, shared it with my favorite hobby FB page, and instantly several women were trying to sell me domain names "so people see your site first when they search on [hobby-related term]."

Hey, ladies, sorry you got stuck with those domain names that haven't made money for you; why should I take them off your hands? I'm not even trying to make money! LOL

After I retired, I did some consulting. I went back to my prior employer to help them out.

Two 8-hours days per week. No overtime. No middle management politics or administrivia, no stress.

I really enjoyed it. The gig ended after 1 year. I'd do it again if they called, but I'm not motivated enough to go out and find a new employer.

One of the best things about retirement is that you can do what you enjoy, without worrying if it is lucrative or not.

I think that’s great. One thing it reinforces to my is my belief the corporate America could have a great resource of highly educated workers if they’d just find a way to allow for flexibility and cut out all the BS. I would be happy(er) if I could find a little something like what you’re doing to do with some of my time. I like it when I have a day with a project in it. Of course it has to be something I want to do and a few hours is usually quite long enough. Any money is secondary at best and actually isn’t really important at all.

I’m antsy, as well ...

Have a couple of rental houses in a patio home neighborhood ... the HOA desperately needed help, so I volunteered as a Non Resident Owner. Rewrote and recorded the Bylaws, protected their CCRs, set up a website and loaded content from about 15 years as well as links to useful external materials. All good fun.

Not enough, though ... bought another rental and have a couple weeks on it so far ... will be finished, then have to decide what else to do.

Installed a replacement security panel and replaced 15 sensors recently ...

Troubleshot and repaired failed side by side refrigerator ice maker and water dispenser, including tank replacement ...

Have offered to help other neighborhoods that are in distress pro bono ... no takers so far ��

I did about 100 hours of consulting last year so have a little bit of experience doing what you are planning. In addition to your list, you may already have all of the following:

1. A good office chair - I bought a used Aeron.
2. A multi-function printer/scanner/copier.
3. A place for filing.
4. Office supplies (now a business expense as is everything else you buy for your business).
5. Up-to-date LinkedIn profile.
6. Business cards.

I'm a little surprised you are going with a laptop for development. I do nothing like development but still have a triple-monitor setup on a desktop PC. For work...oh, and gaming :D

Once you get going you may want to look into an individual 401(k).

There are also lots of opportunities to use one's tech skills on a volunteer basis. That's the path I've chosen.

There are also lots of opportunities to use one's tech skills on a volunteer basis. That's the path I've chosen.
+1

Few deadlines, no pressure, completely flexible schedule. Just like retirement!

Last edited:
Nope, no way - ever.

Big +1
Retirement is never boring and would go through many other iterations before working again.
However, we all different.:greetings10:

I would be happy(er) if I could find a little something like what you’re doing to do with some of my time. I like it when I have a day with a project in it. Of course it has to be something I want to do and a few hours is usually quite long enough. Any money is secondary at best and actually isn’t really important at all.

There are plenty of such opportunities. You just have to look.

Pretty much every community has a bunch of volunteer positions available. Many companies have part-time jobs and are always looking for help, particularly with the economy the way it is today. And if you are into the "gig economy" there are many, many opportunities.

I was only fully retired for 7 months 7 years ago. I teach a online college class which was new to me and also consult in human services field. My volunteer experience has been that they only want you to do grunt work. A few times I offered a valuable and unique service for free to small agencies and none took me up on it. A friend of mine found the same thing. Maybe unique to our field. For 2 years I did mindless volunteer work for the humane society in their office.

You seem full of energy and plans, watch out that you don't turn into MMM....look what his little "side gig" turned into....:LOL:

I was only fully retired for 7 months 7 years ago. I teach a online college class which was new to me and also consult in human services field. My volunteer experience has been that they only want you to do grunt work. A few times I offered a valuable and unique service for free to small agencies and none took me up on it. A friend of mine found the same thing. Maybe unique to our field. For 2 years I did mindless volunteer work for the humane society in their office.
Hmmm ... Not my experience at all.

Until a year ago I flew and managed Search & Rescue activities with Civil Air Patrol "Air Ops Branch Director" for those who care.

In November I spent two weeks in Florida with the Red Cross working in a shelter for victims of Hurricane Michael. (Red Cross has a fantastic volunteer program. Lots of different things including locally, good training, .. I was quite amazed. https://www.redcross.org/volunteer/volunteer-opportunities.html)

Weekly I do small business counseling with SCORE (www.score.org). It's unbelievably fun and rewarding. HR experience is very valuable for mentoring.

Every quarter I teach an investment class for our local school system adult ed program. I consider this to be especially important because most of the financially-oriented adult-ed classes around our metro area are "taught" by lawyers and salespeople who are just hustling for clients. Creating and teaching a class is pretty easy; you just have to contact the Adult-Ed people in the school system. Our system even has an Adult-Ed class to teach people how to do adult-ed classes!

For the OP, I'd suggest looking at web sites for nonprofits whose activities he resonates with, then contacting the one(s) he feels he could help. There are lots of poor web sites out there owned by nonprofits who can't afford to pay what it takes for a good one. Register at guidestar.org and you can download tax returns to evalaute organizations that you might want to get involved with. I look especially at salaries paid to top managers and at expenses versus charitable activities.

Last edited:
What are you going to do when your former Megabank employer calls and wants you to consult? "Only a couple of days working from home and then you come into the office twice a month..."

It's natural to be looking for things to do, whether a "side hustle" or not, once you have the free time that ER opens up. And after spending so much of your life doing whatever it is you do/did, it's comfortable to keep doing what's familiar to you. There's nothing wrong with that and it can help in transitioning.

After a while though, you might find other completely different interests to pursue that you never had the time for previously, whether they pay or not. The free time to expand your horizons makes that possible. Or not, but you can do it on your terms. Go with the flow and all that.

I have a different approach, the term inevitable is not really accurate. I have had a small home based business for approx 10 years. Still maintain that now in retirement. It is related to my hobby of old cars, so it does not seem like work so much. It could take more time if I did more marketing and efforts to increase sales, but for now it is 4-8 hours/week and that suits me fine. Mostly filling orders and shipping them. It is certainly not a big factor in my money picture, it is more of a tax help with the home office deduction, than the net profits. Don't be scared to take the home office deduction, if you have a legit business that you are working at home, take full advantage of the tax benefits you can deduct expenses related to the business. That new computer you bought, check. New printer/scanner, check. New software, check. New accessories, check. Office supplies, check. Keep track of your utility bills, a percentage of those are deductible for your office space percentage. You get the picture, there are many ways that your working from home are beneficial besides the actual money received for services provided.

Depending on where the OP lives, a business license and an occupational tax payment could also be required along with a myriad of other potential local rules and regulations such as rules against operating a business out of the home. Probably not an issue but one that someone running a business from home has to at least consider.

Has anyone mentioned Errors and Omissions Liability insurance? I had it for nearly 20 years of consulting.

Old shooter, I am glad your experience has been better. I actually don’t like the Red Cross at all. Anyone in the military will tell you that they don’t help service members. My Dad had a story from WW2 as did my ex when he was in Vietnam. I would never give them anything. I love the Salvation Army where the salaries are small and the money goes to help.

Back
Top Bottom