Matching mid-60's bathroom tile color?

Bongleur

Full time employment: Posting here.
Gotta knock thru the wall to replace leaking valve. Where can I search for tiles to try to match the color (yellow) or maybe replace them with a multi-till picture/pattern that would cover around 2' x 2' ? (short end of the tub enclosure)?

I don't think they make a metal cover plate large enough for the hole needed to do this job inside the wall. & the other side is the other tub, so no way to avoid breaking tiles.

I don't know where to get the tiles, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE that you are planning to keep the 1960's bathroom tiles and style like that! My bathrooms are 1960's tiles (green in one, blue in the other) and well maintained. I love the way they look. Reminds me of times long past. Good luck in finding the tiles.

Here's a photo that I took when viewing my house before buying it:

Attachments

• BigBathroom2.jpg
    BigBathroom2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 101
You'd be surprised how small a place you can work in and how large some metal plates can be. You'll probably never match the tile perfectly, but I'm sure you could get close. I like the idea of a picture in tile. Any good tile store can get you pointed in the right direction. Get the tile before you break open the wall if you can. That way, you'll know the exact size you need to make the tile work. It would be very aggravating to make the hole two or three inches too big.

Don't know if possible but what about a fine blade to cut between the grout lines to save the tiles. Then take the backer board off them and reuse. Or take the toilet tank off and do the same with tiles from back there. A good deal of work but might be hard to match the tiles.

Bring a sample of the tile to the tile store and see what they can do.

I have painted ceramic tiles many times. Take a tile to a good paint store and they will be able to match it. Get generic tile and paint away.

Look in your crawl space. Doesn't everybody store their construction extras there?

Don't know if possible but what about a fine blade to cut between the grout lines to save the tiles.

I think an oscillating tool is the one to use for that with a grout blade. The link below is to Lowes which I just arbitrarily picked, but Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Walmart and just about any hardware store will carry them. A corded one is not expensive but the price goes up if you want cordless.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Oscillatin...scillating-tools-Power-tools-Tools/4294607821

Interestingly, since 6smiths mentioned elsewhere that he's a retired physician, I read somewhere that the oscillating tool was invented by a physician for the express purpose of cutting plaster casts off of people without cutting the patient's skin. Good invention!

...... I read somewhere that the oscillating tool was invented by a physician for the express purpose of cutting plaster casts off of people without cutting the patient's skin. Good invention!
Yes, and thank God. When my doc used a circular saw, it scared the crap outta me. :blink:

This. The paint store can even tell you what kind of paint to use to achieve the proper glazed look. That mint green color does holler "1963," doesn't it? LOL Oh wait, that's W2R's bathroom :blush:

I have painted ceramic tiles many times. Take a tile to a good paint store and they will be able to match it. Get generic tile and paint away.

Reactions: W2R
I think an oscillating tool is the one to use for that with a grout blade. The link below is to Lowes which I just arbitrarily picked, but Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Walmart and just about any hardware store will carry them. A corded one is not expensive but the price goes up if you want cordless.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Oscillatin...scillating-tools-Power-tools-Tools/4294607821

Interestingly, since 6smiths mentioned elsewhere that he's a retired physician, I read somewhere that the oscillating tool was invented by a physician for the express purpose of cutting plaster casts off of people without cutting the patient's skin. Good invention!

Yes this exactly. I didn't know they had made the jump until last week when I was serving as laborer for the guys putting new windows in my place. One pulled out a cordless DeWalt version of just this tool to notch a 2x6. I actually asked to see it and had one of those 'I got to get me one of these moments!'.

I don't know where to get the tiles, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE that you are planning to keep the 1960's bathroom tiles and style like that! My bathrooms are 1960's tiles (green in one, blue in the other) and well maintained. I love the way they look. Reminds me of times long past. Good luck in finding the tiles.

Here's a photo that I took when viewing my house before buying it:

That's the EXACT tile and matching towel and toilet paper holder in one of my bathrooms (1960). Mine only goes 1/2 way up with a black tile border.

When I sell later this summer I don't think potential buyers will have much appreciation for it though, or the original kitchen appliances.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom