May as well make it official

cat4ever

Recycles dryer sheets
Today was my last day as a mega-corp employee. It was a long goodbye as I've been using vacation since early October, but it's good to officially be free.

Financial situation on my last day:
56.5 YO, 3.8 million in savings (over 1/3 in Roth/after tax money) plus 28K non-COLA pension starting immediately, and 60K SS at 69.
Estimated Expenses 140k-150k/year
Want to buy a vacay home soon and AirBnB it, we'll see.

Still one and a half paychecks to come, and insurance coverage lasts until the end of January, after which our plan fully kicks in. Wish us luck :dance:

Good age to call it a career.
Congrats.

Good to hear and and good luck, the first few weeks after retiring are the best !

Good to hear and and good luck, the first few weeks after retiring are the best !

Oh, I'm already well past that point, haven't worked since early Oct. In my estimation they are all the best, but they do seem to be flying by a little too fast for my liking.

Wow. Congratulations!

I am nearing your situation at 54.5 years old. I m a little jealous.

Swanee

Congratulations OP. You made it to the end of the career rainbow. I'm only 6 years behind you and can feel my BS bucket getting full after decades in different megacorps. If you didn't notice, it's all the same, year after year. Very little changes except the people. Projects and products come and go, only to be done again years later (with younger employees often making the same mistakes as were made before)..

Enjoy the next few decades. You've earned it.

If it is announced here it is official. Have a great retirement!

Max SS someone can receive is about 45K/yr:confused:??

Other than that, good luck and congrats.

That includes my wife's SS (a homemaker) as well. I believe she'll qualify for half my amount with me starting at 69 and her at 65.

Congratulations OP. You made it to the end of the career rainbow. I'm only 6 years behind you and can feel my BS bucket getting full after decades in different megacorps. If you didn't notice, it's all the same, year after year. Very little changes except the people. Projects and products come and go, only to be done again years later (with younger employees often making the same mistakes as were made before)..

Enjoy the next few decades. You've earned it.

You sum it up well. The last 2 years were extra grueling though. Maybe it was just me getting old, but these days I think the BS level has gotten extreme in the mega-corp software industry. Unlike the distant past when management was blissfully clueless about how software was made, they've now gotten to the point of understanding just enough to be dangerous.

You sum it up well. The last 2 years were extra grueling though. Maybe it was just me getting old, but these days I think the BS level has gotten extreme in the mega-corp software industry. Unlike the distant past when management was blissfully clueless about how software was made, they've now gotten to the point of understanding just enough to be dangerous.
I think they now know enough to be even greedier than before. It's often more about the quick sale to hit quota (or accelerators), than it is to build customer relationships that could last for a decade or more. Yet customer service is the key to longevity in business.

Yeah, in my scientific field I always disliked reporting to PhDs. They thought they knew everything and you should do it their way even though they'd been mgmt. for several years. We had several PhDs from Harvard which collectively became known as the Harvard Mafia.:LOL: YMMV

Back
Top Bottom