Maybe just need a push?

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your close friend. Others tell us these stories, but when it hits so close to home it gets VERY real. Glad to hear you are pulling the trigger as I contemplate my own trigger pulling....hopefully sooner rather than later.

Good timing on your question. I decided to stop bothering everyone here and have been in a state of indecision all spring and summer and was waiting for a "defining" moment. Well it came...Close friend went to work Monday, diagnosed Wednesday, dead the following week. I just put in my 1 month notice. It is official, the cat is out of the bag....everyone knows, no turning back.

I appreciate all of the input from this wonderful community.

Aww...I am so sorry to hear about your friend...

Congratulations on your decision! I'm sorry it had to arise from such a sad occurrence, but I'm glad for you!

Condolences on the loss of your friend.
Occurrences like that often do make us look at what is happening with our own lives and how we spend our time.

Congratulations on making your decision and now you can look forward to retirement.

Good timing on your question. I decided to stop bothering everyone here and have been in a state of indecision all spring and summer and was waiting for a "defining" moment. Well it came...Close friend went to work Monday, diagnosed Wednesday, dead the following week. I just put in my 1 month notice. It is official, the cat is out of the bag....everyone knows, no turning back.

I appreciate all of the input from this wonderful community.

Bittersweet post for sure. I've seen real life happens just like you posted of a friend. I know many right now that have enough but can't give up that title of power. It really is a shame some don't see that their time here on earth and the less quality time here on earth is less than what they have in money.

It comes down to what is more important time or money, title and power of a job.

No right way or wrong way but personal preference how you want that last chapter to be written.

Good for you wish you the best and a long ER in your decision.

Bittersweet post for sure. I've seen real life happens just like you posted of a friend. I know many right now that have enough but can't give up that title of power. It really is a shame some don't see that their time here on earth and the less quality time here on earth is less than what they have in money.

It comes down to what is more important time or money, title and power of a job.

No right way or wrong way but personal preference how you want that last chapter to be written.

Good for you wish you the best and a long ER in your decision.

I am also going thru the same feelings. Turning 58 next year. No kids to leave anything. Should be able to have 35 years of expenses easy. But I am on the fence almost to the point of depression and paralysis. Still working and thinking about starting another company. I have no idea why I can't just go for it.

Thanks everyone. It feels good to finally make a call. Right or wrong, here I go. I do feel that something good came from something bad as I am honoring my friend by making this decision.

Well, I did it. I am going to wake up Monday a free man. I am still in a state of shock wondering what came over me. It is going to take a while for this to sink in. Here's to trading a paycheck for freedom! :crazy:

Well, I did it. I am going to wake up Monday a free man. I am still in a state of shock wondering what came over me. It is going to take a while for this to sink in. Here's to trading a paycheck for freedom! :crazy:

Congratulations! That first cup of coffee Monday morning will taste so good, knowing you don't have to rush off to work!

Congratulations, and sorry on the loss of your friend. Today marks my 10th month of freedom... I raise my glass in your direction...

Congratulations, I'm late to this party and did not read the entire thread post by post.

If you are looking at ACA, look at cost sharing silver plans. Since you have lots of cash and can access your 401K, keep your between 138% and 250% federal policy level. A big problem with ACA is the very high deductible, which these cost sharing plans mitigate.

The ACA cliff won't come back until 2026; you will be Medicare age by then. But your wife won't. You'll have a few years to plan for that. Keep that cash handy if the cliff comes back.

My bet is that it won't. I had a plan to keep income low by selling equities every other year, effectively cutting our premium in half by qualifying for subsidies every other year, but Congress fixed that.:dance:

For us it came down to one thing.

How many good retirement years do we think we may have left. Those retirement years where we are able to do what we want and travel where we want to.

What percentage of those years are we willing to give up just to accumulate more money for ourselves or for our estate?

It took me about 2 minutes to decide to retire early at 58/59 after being offered a golden handshake.

Over the past 12 or so years I have seen too many friends and former colleagues miss out on much or all of their retirement goals and plans because of health issues or death.

Congrats! It's a shock, but after a year of not wor$ing, I can't imagine that I ever did, and never want to go back. Having time and freedom is far more important that saving extra $ at 62+!

Back
Top Bottom