Meat Thermometer Too Slow

I've thought about this. You've got the probe which has perhaps one inch in the meat (150 degrees), and three inches in the air in the oven (350 degrees). But what I figure is that the higher heat capacity of the meat overwhelms the lower heat capacity of the air, so the temperature registered is close to that of the meat. Make sense:confused:
Actually, I think it is only the tip of the probe that contains the temperature sensor. If it is a thermocouple in the probe tip, then the sensing is indeed occurring where the two dissimilar metals meet.

From my hands-on experiments that is how my temp probes all seem to work.

Aaaah - here from the FAQ on the Taylor web site http://www.taylorusa.com/faq-thermometers
How far do I have to insert my food thermometer in my food?

For digital food thermometers, the temperature sensor is located under ¼” from the base of the tip of the stem/probe. This area needs to be inserted as close to the center of the food as possible.

On analogs/mechanical/bi therms/instant read/meat thermometers, the temperature sensor is approximately 1.5” long so the tip of the stem/probe needs to be inserted at least 1.5” into the food, as close to the center as possible. If measuring a hamburger, steak or chicken breast, hold the food horizontal and insert the thermometer into the side of the meat, not through the top. In some units, you may see a small “dimple” in the stem/probe. That is the amount of the stem/probe that needs to be inserted into the food, as close to the center as possible.

The language on that first bit is a little unclear, but it has always seemed to me that the sensing is occurring in that first 1/4 inch or so. I guess "from the base of the tip" they mean the base of the little triangle/cone that makes up the probe tip. So maybe 1/2 inch at most.

Audrey

P.S. Look, I'm an engineer and I just love to instrument everything - preferably with digital readouts and alarms!

Good, that's explains it. But the thing that's confusing is that the entire shaft of the probe is metal, and I would think that that metal would conduct the heat and tend to keep the whole thing at the same temperature. It's good that we have the time to overanalyze this thing.

No, it doesn't in fact work that way. The temperature sensors that I worked with used the electrical current effect caused by the heat at the junction of two dissimilar metals (or something like that) - so it was the junction that did the sensing. There are other sensors as well. Yep, you don't have to worry about how the rest of the metal conducts heat.

Audrey

I use a basic analog Taylor instant-read. << $20. Instant-read's are not meant to be left in, you get a pretty stable reading in 10-15 sec. and take it out. For big roasts its essential, but I'm learning to cook small things primarily by "feel".

FYI... FDA aside, you really don't want to cook a chicken breast to 170. I usually pull them off around 145-150, and during resting they will "carry over" cook to about 155-160. Cooked, but still moist.

Also, the best way I've found to test for doneness by "feel" is to pinch from the sides, not poke the top. If the top has a good sear, its sometimes misleadly firm.

I saw on Barbecue University TV yesterday that for chicken breasts you stick the probe in an edge towards the center of the breast. Going in edgewise would seem to make sense for all thin meats. Also cover a brick with foil and set on top of breasts to help get professional-looking grill marks. :)

I use a basic analog Taylor instant-read. << $20. Instant-read's are not meant to be left in, you get a pretty stable reading in 10-15 sec. and take it out. For big roasts its essential, but I'm learning to cook small things primarily by "feel".

FYI... FDA aside, you really don't want to cook a chicken breast to 170. I usually pull them off around 145-150, and during resting they will "carry over" cook to about 155-160. Cooked, but still moist.

Also, the best way I've found to test for doneness by "feel" is to pinch from the sides, not poke the top. If the top has a good sear, its sometimes misleadly firm.
I concur..I use a Taylor digital and have good success

P.S. the remote thermometer with voice announcements is great for making yogurt. You can chill in the living room, and it will announce when the milk has reached 180 and when it has cooled to 115.

Al, You don't need no stinking thermometer (well keep them for turkeys but not for grilling ). Just eyeball the meat for a medium london broil , It is five - seven minutes on each side and for those chicken breasts it is probably 3-4 minutes on each side .

wow. i must cook my stuff a lot differently than you. i would put those breasts (marinated) on a small piece of nonstick foil and grill them on medium (about 350-ish degrees) for at least 10-12 min per side....up to 16/side if they are big ones. it is the most tender chicken ive ever had....visitors are always amazed

Back
Top Bottom