Medical Alert Device Shopping

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Looking for one for our Mother, who had hip surgery recently. (Mid 80’s)

What we want/need:
Home unit only: (Landline) She’ll no longer be driving/ traveling alone, so no need for a mobile device, or GPS features.

Both next-door homes are family, so small issues she may have aren’t a problem. Our biggest concern is a fall. So the fall detection feature is most important to us.

I'm going to do additional research, but as of right now, we’re looking at the following 6 which offer ‘monitor’ service, landline (home), & fall detection technology.

Bay Area Medical
Life Station
Medical Alert
Medical Guardian

Philips Lifeline
Rescue Alert

I haven't contacted any of these companies directly yet. I've only checked the monthly prices from an article in consumer reports earlier this year.
They range from the mid 30s, to around $50.00 for Philips lifeline. No idea how much the upfront costs for the equipment is.

Hoping someone here is familiar with one or more of these, & could give a review.

Thanks in advance

We have hadl Bay Alarm Medical for several years (after DH fell off his scooter when I was not home). Although we've never had to use it "for real", he tests it regularly and they are always quick and pleasant to respond. We chose it because of the small wristband "button" option (rather than a neck pendant) and the reasonable cost.

We have hadl Bay Alarm Medical for several years (after DH fell off his scooter when I was not home). Although we've never had to use it "for real", he tests it regularly and they are always quick and pleasant to respond. We chose it because of the small wristband "button" option (rather than a neck pendant) and the reasonable cost.

We are leaning on Bay Alarm Medical for DW and will be purchasing this next month when I leave for a week's travel alone. I did a lot of research and this one seems to have the fall protection features as MBAustin mentions above.

My wife had Life Alert and when she passed, they refused to cancel the 3 year contract unless I provided the death certificate, which I thought was cold and shameful.

Need to get one for myself now. Kind of seeing the same 6 as you mentioned, leaning towards Medical Guardian or Phillips Lifeline, anyone have any experience?

I found this comparison chart was helpful:

https://www.seniorsafetyreviews.com/comparisons/medical-alert-systems-comparison/

I'd stay away from Life Alert due to their contract issues. I had Phillips Lifeline for my mom, and the process was quick and easy to cancel. My mom had dementia, and forgot what the pendant was for, and threw the whole machine away...sigh...it was a good idea, though, especially, the one with fall detection and GPS. Also, you may consider the new Apple watch...it monitors your heart (ECG) and has fall detection and emergency services/family notifications!

I'd stay away from Life Alert due to their contract issues. I had Phillips Lifeline for my mom, and the process was quick and easy to cancel. My mom had dementia, and forgot what the pendant was for, and threw the whole machine away...sigh...it was a good idea, though, especially, the one with fall detection and GPS. Also, you may consider the new Apple watch...it monitors your heart (ECG) and has fall detection and emergency services/family notifications!

Thanks! My only concerns with apple watch are:

1. Need the phone and the watch
2. Cost
3. If I'm having a medical emergency, and I'm flustered, not sure how easy it is to use...

Thanks! My only concerns with apple watch are:

1. Need the phone and the watch
2. Cost
3. If I'm having a medical emergency, and I'm flustered, not sure how easy it is to use...
Right...and it has to be charged daily. The new watch can work untethered (without a phone)...but I don't know the details. On the up side, there's no contract or monthly fees other than the cellular.

Back
Top Bottom