Medicare Advantage vs. Traditional Medicare

@ pb4uski: you're correct. I thought dave was talking about the grace period when signing up. I did not know about the 6 mo. period to make your choice, however. Thanks for clarifying. This stuff is complicated. That's why I'm trying to learn how it works now & also keep up on any changes between now & when it's my turn to sign up. Everyone have a good evening!

If you are covered under a group health plan provided by an employer for which you or your spouse actively works, you have the right to delay enrollment in Medicare (Part A and Part B) until the employment or the coverage ends — whichever happens first. The whole time that you have this coverage, and for up to eight months after it ends, counts as a special enrollment period during which you can sign up for Medicare without risking late penalties. While active employment continues, you can specify the date on which you want Medicare coverage to begin, up to three months in advance. Otherwise, your coverage begins on the first day of the month after you enroll.

My doctor doesn't accept Medicaid and won't even accept new traditional Medicare patients without a good supplement. He opts out of Advantage plans. My wife has a # of nagging health problems and has 5 different doctors in 3 cities. Advantage wouldn't work well for her.

But it sure sounds good in marketing plans. No go for us.

I’m confused, I thought Advantage plans were “good supplement” insurance?

I’m confused, I thought Advantage plans were “good supplement” insurance?

Medicare Advantage plans aren't supplemental (Medigap) insurance. Medicare contracts with a private insurer who, in return for your Medicare A & B premiums (and perhaps some additional $), provides your A & B coverage - plus in most cases, Part D (drug) coverage.

It's explained far better than I can here.

Attachments

• Medigap vs MA.JPG
    Medigap vs MA.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I applied for my Medicare Card today.
I'll note, I was not happy with the website, you apply on the SSA website and it is not clear until the 3rd or 4th screen that you are applying for a Medicare Card and not SS. I abandoned twice thinking this is not right but then got returned to the same place.

After writing the above, I get an email saying,
"Thank you for filing your Social Security application online. Our Social Security Office in PLAINS, PA received your claim and will be working with you to process it. Our goal is to process all applications efficiently."
I didn't file for Social Security! I called the number, no one answered they said they would call me, they haven't.

After writing the above, I get an email saying,
"Thank you for filing your Social Security application online. Our Social Security Office in PLAINS, PA received your claim and will be working with you to process it. Our goal is to process all applications efficiently."
I didn't file for Social Security! I called the number, no one answered they said they would call me, they haven't.
EDIT:
OK, I feel better now, I went to the site in the email, first page I got, was all about my SS. I went two pages deeper and found where it says I applied for my Medicare card. Don't know why that just can't be made plain in all correspondence.

Don't know why that just can't be made plain in all correspondence.

Always remember Reagan's line about the most frightening sentence in the English language:

"We're from the government and we're here to help you."

My plan for applying Medicare is to make an appointment with local SS office 6 weeks before 10/1/20. On 10/1/20, I will go apply in person.

I am a naturalized citizen. I do not have a birth certificate so not sure what type of issues I may have online. I will bring with me my naturalization certificate, passport, driver's license, and other official documents that I can think of. I will bring a book and ready for a long wait even though I will have an appointment.

My plan for applying Medicare is to make an appointment with local SS office 6 weeks before 10/1/20. On 10/1/20, I will go apply in person.

I am a naturalized citizen. I do not have a birth certificate so not sure what type of issues I may have online. I will bring with me my naturalization certificate, passport, driver's license, and other official documents that I can think of. I will bring a book and ready for a long wait even though I will have an appointment.

I would going even earlier than that.

As mentioned about Florida before, my DGF has an MA plan in Fla and every doctor takes the plan where we live and there is extensive coverage in FLA.
Haven't ventured much outside the USA or slow travelling, so not an issue for us currently.

I'm curious how you searched this. I'm in Florida and my doctor does not accept MA plans and an agent said it is harder to find a doctor in that does accept MA, but there are some.
Did you use a website to find the info that every doctor takes MA?

My problem is I can't think of any likely scenario where I would actually spend more with Advantage than original medicare with supplement and drug coverage..

Would it cost you more OOP if you wanted to go to MD Anderson Cancer hospital for a brain tumor? (Assumes you don't live in Texas)
I assume you would want the best treatment you could get, does your MA allow that without more OOP.
Serious question, I'm about to signup for medicare.
EDIT: The very next post after yours talks about a couple of MA plans that MD does accept, but it's certainly not very many.

Last edited:
My DIL is only alive because of the ACA. She had a huge brain tumor and her insurance wouldn’t let her go out of state and no one here was capable of doing surgery. They moved to California and signed up for their ACA insurance so I am definitely in favor of making sure you can have medical choice.

My Medicare Supplement provider has sent me their monthly newsletter with this interesting tidbit in it:

Starting in January 2021, pending approval by the PEB Board and funding from the state legislature, the PEBB Program will add up to two new Medicare Advantage plans with prescription drug coverage (MAPD). These plans will be available nationwide to PEBB retirees and PEBB Continuation Coverage (COBRA) members enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B. Members will be able to see any provider who accepts Medicare.

This sounds good. The advantages of choice that Medicare Supplement plans give, plus the advantages of a Medicare Advantage plan such as drug coverage.

Thoughts?

My Medicare Supplement provider has sent me their monthly newsletter with this interesting tidbit in it:

This sounds good. The advantages of choice that Medicare Supplement plans give, plus the advantages of a Medicare Advantage plan such as drug coverage.

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting although it would still depend on if there are any copays and potential high maximum out of pocket costs.

We decided against MA plans specifically to avoid any potential large OOP costs especially in our later years when their is a good chance of racking up some high bills.

wmc1000 said:
We decided against MA plans specifically to avoid any potential large OOP costs especially in our later years when their is a good chance of racking up some high bills.

+1 Same here.

I won't change plans until I am certain there are no 'gotchas' lurking out there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom