Medicare Part D providers

Bamaman

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Went online at Medicare.gov to "shop" for Part D medicines. My wife has 13 medications--two of which are controlled substances and expensive.

I put in specific drugs, the numbers used monthly and the website is supposed to tell me how much our out of pocket expenses will be.

Has anyone found the website to be very inaccurate on prescription prices? I found the website difficult to place faith in the numbers.

I have had the Humana Walmart Part D plan for the last 3 years. I have 3 generic and 1 brand name (no generic available) scripts. The prices quoted have been pretty much spot on and prices quoted for 2018 are in line with 2017 prices I paid.

I have had the Humana Walmart Part D plan for the last 3 years. I have 3 generic and 1 brand name (no generic available) scripts. The prices quoted have been pretty much spot on and prices quoted for 2018 are in line with 2017 prices I paid.

I also have Humana Walmart and have had the same experience. My actual results over the year closely match the numbers given by the Medicare tool used while shopping. I'm very pleased with the Medicare tool.

Has anyone found the website to be very inaccurate on prescription prices? I found the website difficult to place faith in the numbers.
You may be interested in this current thread from another forum. If you find a plan on Medicare.gov that looks promising, re-enter the data on the carrier website to confirm.

Poster #1: Anyone else having trouble with Mcare drug reports. I have run several where the copay's on Mcare don't match carrier pricing for the same drug. BIG problem with Silver Script reports.

Poster #2: Just make sure you are looking at everything when comparing plans. One company may show a generic as costing $24.00 and have a copay as $6.00 whereas another company may show that same drug only costing $1.65 full price so on their plan it shows the client paying $1.65 each month for it.

Reference: https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/pdp-reports-on-medicare-gov.91627/

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Wal-Mart is a 2 minute ride. My problem is a lack of inventory. their shelves are empty almost, and certainly won't have my wife's 2/controlled substances.

I am going to redo the numbers in a couple of weeks and see if corrections have been made.

Thanks, guys. Wal-Mart is a 2 minute ride. My problem is a lack of inventory. their shelves are empty almost, and certainly won't have my wife's 2/controlled substances.

I am going to redo the numbers in a couple of weeks and see if corrections have been made.

I take common medications and WM always has them in stock in the pharmacy. Even if they have to order, it should be a quick turn around time...and if you order at least a week before the Rx runs out, it shouldn't be an issue.

I take common medications and WM always has them in stock in the pharmacy. Even if they have to order, it should be a quick turn around time...and if you order at least a week before the Rx runs out, it shouldn't be an issue.
DW does the same. If WM doesn't have a particular medication in stock, it is only a couple of days for them to get it. For sustaining meds, this works out great. For a 1st fill of a prescription, not so much. Fortunately, this has not been a problem for her.

The other thing is that her WM refill is done by automated phone. They always say you can pick it up tomorrow after x:xx PM. Then they always ask, "Do you need it sooner"? If she says yes, it is usually 30-45 minutes. They never offer the quicker pickup time from the start.

Went online at Medicare.gov to "shop" for Part D medicines. My wife has 13 medications--two of which are controlled substances and expensive.

I put in specific drugs, the numbers used monthly and the website is supposed to tell me how much our out of pocket expenses will be.

DW takes about the same number of medications (right now) and we use WM pharmacy under the best plan I could find for her last year. Biggest problem we have had was finding a plan that discounts all of them. This year, Forteo was new (March 2017) and that was a $1,000/month cost to us due to it's high cost and low discount.

We are going over a new plan scenario this month and we'll see what happens. Outside of the Forteo, seems like plan price estimates were very close to actuals.

We refuse to have prescriptions mailed to us due to poor postal service. Heck, I delivered two prescriptions that were not ours but in our mailbox last week. :nonono:

I have found the medicare part D website to be fantastic.
I cannot comment too much about the accuracy of the numbers as I was doing for this really old fellow, but he is going to save at least $4,000 next year by switching part D.

Without my help, he would have just kept his expensive plan which ends up costing him over $7,000 per year !!

Back
Top Bottom