Part D Decision: Aetna vs Wellcare

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Or more specifically Aetna Siverscript Smartsaver vs Wellcare Value Script. I looked at the the latest Part D posts and it looks like many of us who choose the cheapest plan based on either no drugs or cheap Tier 1 drugs are looking to switch from Aetna's cheapest plan to Wellcare's cheapest. The latter actually has a zero premium for many of us in 2024. Anyway, before I opt to switch to Wellcare's plan, I wonder if anyone has found any surprising difference in costs that would make them stay with Aetna Smartsaver. I know there's a difference in deductible - Aetna's is lower - but that won't likely affect many of us since the drugs we use are either zero or small co-pay so we never reach the deductible.

I don’t have any experience with Aetna but I’ve been using a low cost WellCare plan since 2019 and I’ve been pleased with the coverage and service. I don’t have any recurring prescriptions so I’ve only had 2-3 minor prescriptions a year, and nothing exotic or costly. DW joined WellCare in 2021 too. FWIW

Last edited:
I have only been with Wellcare since starting Medicare 3 years ago, but have been very pleased, even before the new no cost plan for 2024.

Last year I paid $11.20/ month (I think). My maintenance drugs cost about $80/year total (BP med and statin). Had a few misc. one time prescriptions, and they were reasonable ($5-$10).

Next year my monthly cost will be ZERO, and my 2 maintenance drugs will also be ZERO.
:dance::dance:

DW and I just switched from Humana ($34/month) to Wellcare for 2024. We have small Rx needs, usually about $3 or $5 every three months each so the per-Rx cost is irrelevant but the premium is quite attractive.

I went with the lowest total cost plan for my prescriptions and it was Wellcare... still is...

I do pay a lot for meds and get into the doughnut hole... so the first and last prescriptions cost me a bundle... I would go with someone else that was cheaper...

Hard to beat zero premium and no prescriptions...

I have to decide next year. I have nothing but DW gets cholesterol and BP meds. I suppose we could each have something different, or no?

I have to decide next year. I have nothing but DW gets cholesterol and BP meds. I suppose we could each have something different, or no?

My DW and I both take BP & cholesterol meds and our monthly went from $11 last year to $.50 upcoming year. Hers meds were $87. last year because of one eyedrop she has to use, and mine was $657. because of starting Treligy last year. One thing that my Respitory Dr. suggested and I did is to ask your Dr. to give you a 90 day prescription, because usually they are only pennies or only a few $ more than a 30 day. Also stay with the preferred pharmacy,which for us is either CVS or Kroger. If you look on the medicare website and put in your info for all your meds it will give you what the cost will be for several companies in YOUR area will be. My DW said when I put ours in that she thought I had made a mistake, so of course she had to go onto her site and put hers info in to check. She found out I was right & then last week we got the official letter in that confirmed it. 50 cents a month vs $11 is not a lot of diff but it all adds up so I'll take it. Good luck to you!

My DW and I both take BP & cholesterol meds and our monthly went from $11 last year to $.50 upcoming year. Hers meds were $87. last year because of one eyedrop she has to use, and mine was $657. because of starting Treligy last year. One thing that my Respitory Dr. suggested and I did is to ask your Dr. to give you a 90 day prescription, because usually they are only pennies or only a few $ more than a 30 day. Also stay with the preferred pharmacy,which for us is either CVS or Kroger. If you look on the medicare website and put in your info for all your meds it will give you what the cost will be for several companies in YOUR area will be. My DW said when I put ours in that she thought I had made a mistake, so of course she had to go onto her site and put hers info in to check. She found out I was right & then last week we got the official letter in that confirmed it. 50 cents a month vs $11 is not a lot of diff but it all adds up so I'll take it. Good luck to you!

Re: Bold above.

While this is generally correct, if you have have a higher cost med it is worth the time to check.

DW has a Cigna plan. One drug she takes is actually 1/2 the price at a non-preferred pharmacy than it is at the preferred pharmacy or mail order. Weird, but real.

my wife and I are both on wellcare and have been for 5 years or so. the only problem is that my wife gets a drug they do not cover, which I order from canada, so the remaining drugs she gets from wellcare are zero cost for 3 months for 3 prescriptions. I ran it on medicare.gov and her total yearly drug cost and premium was $6. the drug from canada was an advair generic and in the US it was 400 t0 500 a month for 30 doses. In canada the same drug is 52.99 including shipping for 180 doses. Does that make sense to you?

I've been on Wellcare for 4 years now. But lately we've been using Costco for our Rx's. My Zetia 90 day script with Wellcare is $46.00 but at Costco without using Wellcare it is $12.00
So if you have a Costco nearby check with them before using your preferred pharmacy.

Thanks for the input everyone. It sounds like there is unlikely to be any unpleasant surprise if I switch to the Wellcare plan. With the drugs I take, I'll save nearly $100 a year.

I reminded DH that he can still switch until Dec 7. Thanks for the input everybody!

I finally signed up for the Wellcare plan for next year with a $6.00 estimated annual cost. I have been on Medicare for 5 years now without a Part D plan as I use the VA but opted to sign on for Part D since the premium is so low. Just curious if I will have to answer any inquiries about creditable coverage or will they use the VA info they requested on the application to check it out without further input from me. Only time will tell.

First savings I've seen since 2020 is Wellcare

Humana has been my least expensive Part D option since I entered Medicare in 2020. This year, it is Wellcare ValueScript. (It has been cheapest for DH since he entered Medicare in 2018.) I checked it a dozen times before being convinced/switching.

Looks good. Happy to read others' experiences.

I made the switch from Aetna to Wellcare Part D, the one with $0.00 premium.

I have a prescription with refills left that was in my Aetna (mail order with CVS/Caremark) plan. Is there a way to transfer the prescription to Wellcare (mail order with Express Scripts)? How do I do that? Looking at the Wellcare website I don't see the steps to do this.

Or should I just ask for a new prescription from my doctor to be sent to Wellcare Express Scripts?

Last edited:

I have a prescription with refills left that was in my Aetna plan. Is there a way to transfer the prescription to Wellcare? How do I do that? Looking at the Wellcare website I don't see the steps to do this.

Or should I just ask for a new prescription from my doctor to be sent to Wellcare?

Every time DW has switched she has had to have her Doc send a new script. I am sure they are used to it this time of year.

I have a prescription with refills left that was in my Aetna plan. Is there a way to transfer the prescription to Wellcare? How do I do that? Looking at the Wellcare website I don't see the steps to do this.

Or should I just ask for a new prescription from my doctor to be sent to Wellcare?
I'm going to visit my usual CVS pharmacy this week and give them my new Part D info. They have the refill info already and should just have to change from the Aetna plan number to the Wellcare one. Fortunately, CVS is preferred provider under both plans so no need to change pharmacies.

I cancelled my last script with the local Pharmacy by phone yesterday. They said to call or come in on Tuesday and they would redo it with the Zero Copay offered by WellCare.

I updated my post above. This is a prescription with Aetna's mail order CVS/Caremark. I'd like to transfer it to Wellcare's Express Scripts mail order.

Last week I took our 2024 Wellcare cards to our local pharmacy and updated the info there. Just looking for a way to do this with the mail order ones without bothering the doctor.

I updated my post above. This is a prescription with Aetna's mail order CVS/Caremark. I'd like to transfer it to Wellcare's Express Scripts mail order.

Last week I took our 2024 Wellcare cards to our local pharmacy and updated the info there. Just looking for a way to do this with the mail order ones without bothering the doctor.
I would go through the doctor's office. Living in Arizona, I've never liked the thought of a mail order prescription baking in my mailbox in the summer heat so I've always gone with a local pharmacy.

I would go through the doctor's office. Living in Arizona, I've never liked the thought of a mail order prescription baking in my mailbox in the summer heat so I've always gone with a local pharmacy.

Unfortunately one of my Rx is $118 at the local CVS and $2 via mail order so guess which I use?!! I've had no issues though and likely most meds are not stored or transported at perfect temps anyway.

Back
Top Bottom