Medigap plan G specifically in WA state

ontap55

Dryer sheet wannabe
Has anyone in Washington State enrolled/used medigap plan g? Which insurance company did you choose and why and more importantly are you happy with your choice? Got to make a choice 2nd quarter and am trying to decipher pros and cons of the different insurance companies and your experience with plan G in WA state. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!

Medigap rates for WA state can be found here: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/how-much-do-medigap-plans-cost-and-what-do-they-cover

Medigap plans in WA are community-rated, meaning 65 yr olds pay the same rate as 95 yr olds. WA also has a special Medigap rule that is not available in most other states. A person enrolled in Medigap plans B-N can switch to another B-N anytime without underwriting. If you have settled on Plan G, you can enroll in the lowest premium Plan G and switch anytime if you're not happy with their customer service.

When can I switch plans?

If you're already enrolled in a Medigap plan B through N, you can switch at any time to another Medigap plan B through N. If you have a Medigap plan A, you can switch to any other Medigap plan A. In either of these situations, you do not have to take a written health screening questionnaire.

Reference: https://www.insurance.wa.gov/when-can-i-sign-or-switch-medigap-plans

I'm in Washington State and I have the F high deductible. If I start having high expenses, I'll switch to G. In the meantime my premiums are low.

I'm in Washington State and I have the F high deductible. If I start having high expenses, I'll switch to G. In the meantime my premiums are low.

Does WA not have underwriting when switching? I know you can switch in the first 6 months with little effort, but I think after that, you may have to jump through some hoops.

https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/switching-medigap-plans

"Everyone Can Switch Medigap Plans By Answering Medical Questions
Whether you want to switch from Medigap plan F to plan G or you just want to work with a different insurance company, you can do so at any time by submitting a new application. In most states, you will have to answer medical questions and could be turned down for pre-existing conditions. In some cases, you can be charged more if you switch after your initial enrollment period. We have learned by experience that some insurance companies ask fewer medical questions and have easier standards for approval than others. If you don’t fall under one of the states that offer guaranteed switching period (see below), call us at 800-930-7956. We can match you with the best Medigap insurance company based on your current health status. We have had great success in this arena."

If I've misunderstood your statement, I apologize in advance.

Does WA not have underwriting when switching? I know you can switch in the first 6 months with little effort, but I think after that, you may have to jump through some hoops.

Yes, WA allows switching of Medigap plans at any time without underwriting.

When can I switch plans?

If you're already enrolled in a Medigap plan B through N, you can switch at any time to another Medigap plan B through N. If you have a Medigap plan A, you can switch to any other Medigap plan A. In either of these situations, you do not have to take a written health screening questionnaire.

However, if you're switching from some other type of health insurance plan to a Medigap plan, rules can vary and insurers may require you pass a written health screening questionnaire. If you're not sure you need to take a written health screening, call our Insurance Consumer Hotline at 800-562-6900 and ask to speak with a health compliance analyst.
from WA department of insurance.

Last edited:
Yup, what Audrey sez. Washington is a special case.

Eastern Washington here and starting Medicare in Q3 so I'm also interested in this thread and these 3 supplemental plans:

Lowest cost premium monthly / annual:

Plan G - $159 / $1908 - $185 deductible
Plan F HD - $44 / $528 - $2300 deductible
Plan N - $121 / $1452 - $185 deductible, $20 office copays, $50 ER copay

We're going to start with an F HD plan but may consider plan N if healthcare needs start to increase. The annual difference between N and G is about $450. That's a lot of $20 copays.

https://www.insurance.wa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/medicare-supp-plans_9.pdf

We're going to start with an F HD plan but may consider plan N if healthcare needs start to increase. The annual difference between N and G is about $450. That's a lot of $20 copays.

I agree and that's exactly what we did, choosing to go from a Plan F HD to a Plan N rather than Plan G. Just be aware that Plan N, unlike G, does not cover Part B excess charges. That's not likely to be an issue for the vast majority of folks but it is something you need to keep in mind when selecting a health care provider, making sure they take Medicare assignment.

Last edited:
Has anyone in Washington State enrolled/used medigap plan g? Which insurance company did you choose and why and more importantly are you happy with your choice? Got to make a choice 2nd quarter and am trying to decipher pros and cons of the different insurance companies and your experience with plan G in WA state. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!

Also very interested in this question which I don't think is state specific. Does anyone disagree with these quotes from Boomer Benefits?

...the best supplemental insurance with Medicare is really whichever plan has the lowest rate and the lowest rate increase history in your area.

After all, benefits are standardized so that the benefits for each plan letter are the same from company to company.

https://boomerbenefits.com/top-10-medicare-supplement-companies/

...the best supplemental insurance with Medicare is really whichever plan has the lowest rate and the lowest rate increase history in your area.

After all, benefits are standardized so that the benefits for each plan letter are the same from company to company.

I think that is an accurate statement. We've had experience with two supplemental insurers, BC/BS and Mutual of Omaha, and had no issues with either.

Also very interested in this question which I don't think is state specific. Does anyone disagree with these quotes from Boomer Benefits?

https://boomerbenefits.com/top-10-medicare-supplement-companies/

DW and I used Boomerbenefits.com and I would agree with their comments. We ended up going with Aetna as we got a 5% discount if we were both signed up with them.

Boomer Benefits gave us a list of providers and there were a couple that were slightly less expensive but we hadn't heard of them and their previous rate increases were less consistent than Aetna had been in the past.

I agree and that's exactly what we did, choosing to go from a Plan F HD to a Plan N rather than Plan G. Just be aware that Plan N, unlike G, does not cover Part B excess charges. That's not likely to be an issue for the vast majority of folks but it is something you need to keep in mind when selecting a health care provider, making sure they take Medicare assignment.

Good point. That may tip the scales to G when we consider switching. All of our doctors accept assignment. Anyone else with plan N care to comment?

https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/

As my research continues it appears that we're fortunate that Washington allows you to switch between supplemental plans fairly easily.

The annual difference between N and G is about $450. That's a lot of $20 copays.

One more point about our experience with Plan N and the $20 copay - about half the healthcare providers we've seen since switching to Plan N last summer haven't billed us for it. Not sure why, but since that's all we owe sending a bill for $20 may not be worth it.

One more point about our experience with Plan N and the $20 copay - about half the healthcare providers we've seen since switching to Plan N last summer haven't billed us for it. Not sure why, but since that's all we owe sending a bill for $20 may not be worth it.

I go on Medicare this summer but right now I have an ACA plan. Copays are paid at the time of the visit. Does Medicare do it differently, you don't pay at the visit but get billed later?

Back
Top Bottom