Meet Nerdle; Wordle for Geeks (No spoilers here either!)

Chris7

Recycles dryer sheets
If you like math as much as English, give this a try. It was posted in another thread, but that was about a Chess type game so figured I would start this for the Geeks.

Today's:
Nerdle 14 3/6

⬛⬛⬛🟪⬛🟪⬛⬛
🟪🟩🟩🟪🟪🟪⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

https://nerdlegame.com #nerdle

You have to figure out the the math puzzle of the day.

Green means the right number or operator in the right place.
Purple means the right number or operator, but in the wrong place.
Black means not in the puzzle.

Order of operations is enforced and it is possible to have multiple operators in the puzzle.

cd :O)

nerdlegame 14 3/6

⬛🟪⬛⬛🟪🟪🟪🟪
⬛⬛🟪⬛⬛🟪⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Similar to Wordle, there is an approach and picking good first/second equations eases it tremendously.

Nerdle 14 3/6

⬛️����⬛⬛️������
⬛️����⬛️����⬛️��
����������������

nerdlegame 14 4/6

🟩🟪⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟪🟪⬛🟪🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟪🟩🟪
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I think this will take some time to settle on a good strategy. At least with Wordle one can eliminate some letters/order because there’s not a possible word

I didn't think I'd like nerdle, but it is kind of fun.

Note, you can have more than one operator, but only one equal.

Hats off to all you geeks!

I'm a retired scientist. I have used up all my allotted numbers for my lifetime.

Wordle-ing every am. Fun!

I didn't think I'd like nerdle, but it is kind of fun.

Note, you can have more than one operator, but only one equal.

I played once, it seemed really hard and random at first, but I got it (forgot how many guesses, but still a few away from losing). Once I got some eliminations, it started making more sense to me.

Not sure I'll play again, it just seemed like so may possibilities at first, it strikes me as rather tedious to start. With wordle, I've got my first start word set, so the game gets going fast. With this, I just sit and stare for a while.

Maybe I need to play it some more to develop strategy, but I probably won't - one wordle and one archive wordle per day is enough of this for me. But it's great if others enjoy it. It is a kind of cool idea. DW shuddered at the thought!

-ERD50

I played once, it seemed really hard and random at first, but I got it (forgot how many guesses, but still a few away from losing). Once I got some eliminations, it started making more sense to me.

Not sure I'll play again, it just seemed like so may possibilities at first, it strikes me as rather tedious to start. With wordle, I've got my first start word set, so the game gets going fast. With this, I just sit and stare for a while.

Maybe I need to play it some more to develop strategy, but I probably won't - one wordle and one archive wordle per day is enough of this for me. But it's great if others enjoy it. It is a kind of cool idea. DW shuddered at the thought!

-ERD50

The same way you have a first start word for Wordle, think about how you would accomplish the same with a first start equation.

I found one aspect a little annoying:

Nerdle 15 4/6

⬛🟪🟩🟪⬛🟪⬛🟪
🟩🟪🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟪🟩🟪
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Oops, I was going to explain what I found annoying, but then realized it would contain a clue. So, on second thought, mum's the word.

I got too far down in the guessing and had not eliminated the division operator. So I had the minus operator and the division operator to choose from. I didn't solve today's puzzle.

It looks like there might be a strategy to figure out if you have one or more operators of each type while concurrently locating equals sign position and identifying digits. More thought required.

Last edited:
Oops, I was going to explain what I found annoying, but then realized it would contain a clue. So, on second thought, mum's the word.
Good move. There have been spoilers on the wordle thread where people colored the text white, and nobody has complained. It's hard for someone to accidentally see text that matches the background color, as far as I know, but maybe if someone has a non-default "skin"? I don't know for sure.

Meet Nerdle; Wordle for Geeks

I got it in four moves. Seemed pretty random at first, but once I got two moves in, things started to make sense. Fun! I’ll try again tomorrow

It looks like there might be a strategy to figure out if you have one or more operators of each type while concurrently locating equals sign position and identifying digits. More thought required.

I have a few more specific rules that I have worked out with regard to identifying the operators and some other constraints related to that. I'm happy to discuss them by PM, but I have a feeling people won't enjoy it if I just post them.

Let's see... NYT Spelling Bee and Crossword, Wordle, KenKen, BrainBashers and now Nerdle. When I am I gonna have time to fit in my nap?

So far this game helps my brain. I thought part of the puzzle was a bit devious today because of the multiply by 1 aspect. That's OK in my book.

Nerdle 16 5/6

⬛🟪🟪🟪⬛🟩⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟪🟩🟪🟩🟩⬛
🟪🟩🟪🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟪🟩⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩🟪
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Sorry for your loss, Chris. It's a really hard thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom