Methods to save money on eyeglasses

OHjosh

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all. Just had my eye checkup. There was no change in my prescription. (Also no threat of glaucoma!) My glasses are two years old and the lenses are slightly scratched up. Also, the way these progressive lenses were formulated, my vision gets slightly distorted on the sides.

Here is the money question. I have COBRA until 2/28. If I use that plan, new lenses (with same RX but better lenses) would cost me $254. Once I am on Obamacare, the same lenses would be $1000. (Yes, our insurance system makes sense...) The best I can do then is lower the cost to $770 with AARP membership.

My head says that the glasses are still serviceable and next year my prescription might change, so why spend even $254 now. But if I do that and nothing changes again next year, I would probably need to replace them and then cha ching!

Does anybody know less expensive methods to purchase glasses beyond mail order? That just seems too dicey to me. Thx for the help!

I’ve bought glasses online for many years with great success. Zenni and 39dollarglasses. Costco has been mentioned many times here for low cost eyeglasses.

I’ve bought glasses online for many years with great success. Zenni and 39dollarglasses. Costco has been mentioned many times here for low cost eyeglasses.
Agreed. I've purchased from both Zenni and 39 and been happy with the quality. Zenni prices are a little better than 39, but both are real bargains compared to what you are quoting.

"Mail order" is now online ordering and is far from dicey. :)

Zenni FTW!

I got top of the line, progressive glasses for around 100. All the bells and whistles. High refraction progressive lenses with anti-scratch and ole-something coatings. Could have been a lot less if I went for the basic package.

Is it really worth all those extra dollars just to have a technician adjust your new glasses?

Zenni FTW!

I got top of the line, progressive glasses for around 100. All the bells and whistles. High refraction progressive lenses with anti-scratch and ole-something coatings. Could have been a lot less if I went for the basic package.

Is it really worth all those extra dollars just to have a technician adjust your new glasses?

So how do you get your classes adjusted when you use an online service? I'm in about the same situation as the OP and that seemed to be one issue. The other issue is measurement, but it seemed that you could measure your own pupil spacing and they seem willing to replace (allow you to return) glasses that don't fit. These issue lead me to think I may try Costco first, but was thinking of getting a cheap pair from Zenni just to evaluate them.

I use Zenni but if I wanted a brick and mortar store I would probably try Walmart. Around here there are a couple of economy eyeglass stores. I didn't like the quality as well as Zenni tho and certainly more expensive.

Btw, if you do try Zenni I like the bendable frame kind. They fit great right out of the box. But also easy to adjust.

Last edited:
So how do you get your classes adjusted when you use an online service? I'm in about the same situation as the OP and that seemed to be one issue. The other issue is measurement, but it seemed that you could measure your own pupil spacing and they seem willing to replace (allow you to return) glasses that don't fit. These issue lead me to think I may try Costco first, but was thinking of getting a cheap pair from Zenni just to evaluate them.
To be honest, I have wire rim (half rim) and just push and form. Zenni has this: https://www.zennioptical.com/how-to-adjust-your-eyeglasses

There are many youtube videos, some from providers, some from users. It isn't rocket science. I have also purchased a replacement frames from Zenni and they gave me a kit with instructions on how to change out the lenses. If you screw up and break the frames when adjusting, you could always buy just replacement frames. I find it quicker and easier to adjust them myself than to drive to the optometrist's office and back again.

If one is not comfortable with trying new things, then they will be paying someone for that service. Not that that is a bad thing.

I use my current frame size as a starting point for a new frame. Most of the online sellers have a way to upload your photo and see a representation of how you look with any frame.

The main issue is that it may take close 2 weeks to get delivery using the std delivery IIRC. They do have a quicker delivery method for a few dollars more. If you are good with that then what have you really got to loose?

I will just throw out a different thought....

Buy now... the chance of your vision changing is slight... and if it does it will not be enough of a difference for you to notice...

I put on a pair of glasses that I had 10 to 15 years ago and I actually felt that I could see better with those than my new ones, and I probably can since the new ones are like yours, scratched etc...

If you choose a frame that is similar to one you already have and find comfortable, you shouldn't need much adjustment. Temple length, frame width, lens height and width. See here the Zenni page on measuring frames https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/measure-eyeglass-frame/ and another page on adjusting glasses https://www.zennioptical.com/how-to-adjust-your-eyeglasses
When I first bought online, I chose the most inexpensive option I could find, in case it didn't work out. Once I figured out how to get frames that fit well, it's been easy and simple.

How does zenni measure for progressive lenses? Normally they are measured with the frame on your face. Do progressives from zenni actually work?

I get mine from Zenni. Last year I got three pair for about $50 but my rx is pretty standard/easy I guess.

I bit the bullet and bought mine from Target about three years ago with the understanding that they would give me my PD (pupilary distance). They did.

I had gone to Sams before Target and asked the same thing. The guy said no. I said, "so you're going to give up a sale because you refuse to tell me my PD." He said yes.

So if you do it that way (PD never changes unless you are a kid) make sure they will agree to give you your PD.

I haven't tried Zenni, but 39 dollar glasses dot com was amazing! All you do is follow their directions to get a couple of measurements (like the distance between your two pupils, IIRC, which is easy to measure), and the glasses that they sent were better than what I had been getting at Lenscrafters for considerably more $$.

The thread inspired me to order a new pair for golf. My current pair I bought 10 years ago are scratched pretty bad. Plus my prescription has changed since then. Bought those at a local optical shop. I think they cost around $275 then. A buddy just purchased a tinted pair from the same store for $400. My order with Zenni for single vision lens cost $48 which includes photochromic, anti glare and easy to clean coating. These are not bendable as I said I like in my previous post, but closer to the size of my current golf glasses. Hopefully they work out. I have two other pairs from Zenni. A tinted pair for driving/ biking and a progressive pair when indoors for reading, going to restaurants etc. Total cost for all 3 are well under $200.

After spending over $400 on a pair of glasses that broke in under a year I then bought a pair with same prescription from Zenni for under $60 and they have been great for over a year now. I will go back to Zenni when I need a new prescription.

I use Flexon frames. Kaiser carries them so when I need new lens I just have them replace the lens in an existing frame.

I've used Zenni & Goggles4U both maybe $20 for my simple prescription.

I gave the one pair a bad rating, and they sent me a new different pair for free.

Next time you get your eyes checked, make sure they measure your PD and note it on your prescription. ( I hear they are required if asked)

I was having trouble doing my own PD in the mirror. Or at least didn't trust it. Went to Costco and the guy put a gadget on my face. Bingo, bango bongo. Done. No charge. Right to Zenni and got my glasses

I was having trouble doing my own PD in the mirror. Or at least didn't trust it. Went to Costco and the guy put a gadget on my face. Bingo, bango bongo. Done. No charge. Right to Zenni and got my glasses

An accurate way to measure PD at home is to use a sheet of paper and a single hole punch. Estimate your PD and punch two holes in the paper, then hold it up to your face and try to look through the holes without bending the paper. Adjust the hole distance until you can see clearly through both holes*, then measure the distance between the hole centers.

* Although it is easier than punching new holes, do NOT simply make the holes larger to do this :D

Last edited:
Adjust the hole distance until you can see clearly through both holes*, then measure the distance between the hole centers.

Ideally, do it in a brightly lit room to minimize your pupil size. Maybe not significant, but it's an easy adjustment.

I've purchased glasses from Costco and have been quite satisfied with the quality.

I just ordered my progressive lenses with a new frame from Costco for about $250. If you have one nearby, that may be worth the price of membership.

I find that all progressive lenses distort vision towards the sides. You need to move your head, not just your eyes. Maybe yours are worse than normal?

My advice. Get new glasses. It is such a small sum of money for something you will use everyday.

I've used Zenni & Goggles4U both maybe $20 for my simple prescription.

I gave the one pair a bad rating, and they sent me a new different pair for free.

Next time you get your eyes checked, make sure they measure your PD and note it on your prescription. ( I hear they are required if asked)

I also recall reading it is required by law that they give you your written prescription, after all you are paying for it.
Perhaps this law varies per State :confused:
I do think some places would be shady and want to "trap" a customer by not providing it.

My eye doc provides a written prescription with everything, and I do buy glasses or lenses from him, but I've also bought a spare pair from Zenni about 4 years ago, but they didn't work well, as they had some distortion (only cost $10) so I didn't bother about it.

I also recall reading it is required by law that they give you your written prescription, after all you are paying for it.
Perhaps this law varies per State :confused:
I do think some places would be shady and want to "trap" a customer by not providing it.
I asked for the PD number from a lady who does the preliminary exam. She said they didn't measure it but their optical shop next door does that part. I fessed up and told her I wanted it for a cheap pair of sunglasses I planned to order online and she said they would give it to me w/o buying anything. Ha. Who would have the guts to go in an eyeglass store and ask for a measurement w/o buying glasses? No doubt.... it's a 'trap' strategy. Around here they all do that. I measured myself and I see fine so I must have got it close enough.

Seems pretty high priced. I self-pay much less for a complicated prescription.

For ultralight, antiglare, antiscratch, graded index (+9 diopters to -2 diopters or maybe that's -9 to +2) with a prism ground into the lenses (+ in one lens and - in the other) I only pay ~$420 for two pairs of glasses, one of which is sunglasses with the Rx. I caught a sale of get two for the price of one or something like that. I used to pay almost double this amount but the price has come down I guess. I use Visionworks (used to be Lenscrafters at the place I've been going to for years).

I've had to take them back to be remade for various reasons so wouldn't do it online. The lineup is especially important with the prism and big RX, I think.

Back
Top Bottom