Military retirees in Ohio--Now No Taxes on Retirement Pay

. . .I didn't mean to insult you - I didn't mind Ohio so much.
Well, I'm used to sticking up for the place. I'm kinda glad more people don't like it a lot. The folks who seem hardest on the Midwest are people who grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere--a lot more would like it if they'd lived through 9 month summers elsewhere or sat in traffic jams 6 lanes wide. At least you've traveled enough to have an informed opinion!
I hope you are enjoying Germany and the surrounding countries. I always have a good time there. I have yet to find a German "fast food" spot. Often I've w*rked a 14-hour day and don't want to invest an hour at a Gasthaus, I just want a quick schnitzel or something. The only quick food spots are American, and it just feels wrong to be in Germany and eat at Burger King.

Well, I'm used to sticking up for the place. I'm kinda glad more people don't like it a lot. The folks who seem hardest on the Midwest are people who grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere ...
I have an informed opinion. I was born in Ohio, went to elementary and secondary school there (in Lima), and went to graduate school there (in Columbus). I didn't like it. I left in 1971 and don't intend to go back.

I have an informed opinion. I was born in Ohio, went to elementary and secondary school there (in Lima), and went to graduate school there (in Columbus). I didn't like it. I left in 1971 and don't intend to go back.
Noted.

Been in Dayton Ohio area for ~32 years. Don't know where else to be. Shall reconsider after the cat dies.

Chicago boy, born & thru college and some cold times in Great Lakes IL. Now live in Southern California. In Oct I went back for a visit to Chicago & out to Galena, wonderful autumnal days. But that is all the midwest 'hit' I needed, left before the below zero temps creep in.
I'll stick to my ridiculously priced little house in Pasadena. Go up the local mountains if I need to see snow. Ill be up at Tahoe for Thanksgiving.
As I see it, if you live in Chicago you can live anywhere. And if you can live anywhere, why live in Chicago?

I can't speak for the new G. I. Bill, but the old Vietnam Era one was fairly generous monthly check wise.
Not really. It may have worked out for somebody in your cited situation, but not for anyone who had a family (as I did) at the time.

I wor*ed with a guy who was in the same time as me ('67-'71) and also was married, with a child (same as me). He was able to get his degree only by moving his family into his parent’s home and they helped a lot with the total expenses.

Tuition was covered, but only a minimal amount for expenses outside of those incurred for the discharged person.

Since we had no family to depend on when I was discharged and my wife could not work (due to our son's challenges), there was no way that I could afford to go to school, even if I wanted to.

Hey - I'm not complaining; it was just our situation at the time...

Well, I'm used to sticking up for the place. I'm kinda glad more people don't like it a lot. The folks who seem hardest on the Midwest are people who grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere--a lot more would like it if they'd lived through 9 month summers elsewhere or sat in traffic jams 6 lanes wide. At least you've traveled enough to have an informed opinion!
In the 19th century one of my great-great-grandfathers left Germany in search of a job. Family legend has it that he walked all the way from NYC to Pittsburgh, couldn't find a job, and was so mad that he stomped all the way to Milford before he calmed down enough to take a job. My father was the fourth generation of the Milford Nords dynasty, and he fled as soon as he finished college (at U of Cincy, of course) for a great job in Pittsburgh.

Shows how smart my father was in regard to the geographic part of the decision. But at least he met my mother there, although I was effectively held hostage for over 17 years.

Today I'm grateful that you're living in Ohio so that the national housing authorities don't try to enforce some sort of quota by asking me to move back there.

We're starting a new Hale Nords dynasty here, where some of Hawaii's harshest critics are the kama'aina. Their polemics of political favoritism, corruption, and graft are particularly amusing. These perspectives can usually be "seasoned" with a few seasons anywhere north of 30N, or any political experience in one of the nation's top ten metropolitan areas.

Last week my born-and-raised-in-Hawaii daughter complained bitterly about NROTC's workouts in Houston's 48-degree weather. (In Houston!) I sure hope the Marine gunny sergeant didn't hear that high-pitched whining...

Last edited:
Today I'm grateful that you're living in Ohio so that the national housing authorities don't try to enforce some sort of quota by asking me to move back there.
I think Ohio is gonna want their own guy back, not some transplant from another state. I'll take your place for now, and for the right price I won't tell 'em where to find you.

"First they came for the surfers, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a surfer . . ."

"First they came for the surfers, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a surfer . . ."
I'm going to have to start swallowing my mouthful of coffee before I read your posts...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom