Moderator Monday?

I am always very impressed with moderators of online discussion forums and especially with our own ER moderators. Let's give them a round of applause from our various outposts in the real world and a shout out here in cyberland. Thanks to all of you! You are very much appreciated.

Oh, I suppose they're OK, but the constant removal or truncation of my postings is starting to [mod edit]

Take a bow, ladies and gentlemen. You do an awesome job! :flowers::clap:

On behalf of the entire moderation team, [mod edit] you very much. ;) :D

thankyou.jpg

Moderator Monday? Didn't The Bangles sing that?

It's just another moderator Monday
I wish it were Sunday
'Cause that's my troll day
My I am on a roll day
It's just another moderator Monday

Written by Prince, by the way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Moderator Monday. Sure. Thanks mods for keeping this forum on such a useful track!

Also, how about Troll Tuesday. Bring back MMND and that Forex trader and allow them to run wild every Tuesday. Yikes.

To the Moderators:

Thank you for moderating!

Kindest regards.

And so, now, all the moderators have formed a union to negotiate the bonus they get from management based on feedback from appreciative board members.

Well, the board IS dedicated to early retirement, isn't it! Gotta take care of the financials to be FI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Just bumping this thread to say "Thanks" again to our tireless moderators. So much of the internet is just noisy, chaotic and angry. Thank you for keeping e-r.org a fun (and educational!) place to hang out!

+1 +1 +1

Thanks for the bump.
Kudo's and appreciation for keeping civility and resisting politics. A haven for we who look for light and want to avoid the darkness of hate and confrontational dissent.

I missed this thread during one of my hiatus(es) but want to add my thanks for the moderators, and the rules that evolved to maintain this as a reliable, interesting and growing source for those who have, or are planning to enter the greatest most rewrding segment of their lives.

Sincere thanks for what you do. :flowers:

Just bumping this thread to say "Thanks" again to our tireless moderators. So much of the internet is just noisy, chaotic and angry. Thank you for keeping e-r.org a fun (and educational!) place to hang out!

I agree. It's nice to have a site that is merely noisy and chaotic. Good job!

I moderated a videogame forum a while, so I have an appreciation for how wild other forums are, and how thankless a job moderating can be. It took me a while to adjust to the more controlled tone of this forum, and I got my hand slapped once or twice in the process, but I appreciate it now. Mods do a good job.

Good idea to bump! Our mods are the heroes of this forum, which is hands down the best on the entire internet. Quite an accomplishment of the many regular contributors and the moderating influence of the mods. Thanks to all, past and present.

-BB

There have been several threads that I thought were shut down way too early, and several that should have had a visit from Porky Pig much earlier IMHO. That being said, they must be doing it right since most of the time, the threads get a mild correction and put back on the right course. Trolls are kept to a minimum (though some members have too much fun playing with the trolls). Great job!!

There have been several threads that I thought were shut down way too early, and several that should have had a visit from Porky Pig much earlier IMHO.

I'm a long time poster with a decade gap in the middle where I wasn't on the board and I'll say that the current moderators seem to be more evenly balanced than in the past. It used to be that how far political discussion would be allowed to run would be dependent on the direction the politics were leaning. So far I haven't seen that at all in the current iteration of mods.

I'm a long time poster with a decade gap in the middle where I wasn't on the board and I'll say that the current moderators seem to be more evenly balanced than in the past. It used to be that how far political discussion would be allowed to run would be dependent on the direction the politics were leaning. So far I haven't seen that at all in the current iteration of mods.
Thanks. We moderate according to our Community Rules, which didn't even exist back in the Dark Ages. These rules are pretty plain and make it very simple to keep opinions out of what we do. Also, our mod team is about equally divided between right and left political leanings so even if we wanted to be biased (which we don't want), we couldn't get away with it. Other mods would call us out.

We know we are doing well when the complaints that we favor the right, are about equal in number to complaints that we favor the left. :rolleyes:

The biggest help to us is members reporting posts or threads that they feel violate our Community Rules. Otherwise we might not notice them. There are too many posts and threads for any one mod to read every single one of them (trust me, I tried for a while).

Last edited:
+++ kudos to the Mod Squad!

I'll concede that I would like to see some threads with a politically sensitive topic continue as long as the posts are civil... the warnings when someone gets close to the line are helpful in calming folks down.

I'll add my thanks. I particularly like when a moderator swoops in to nix a thread that has begun to turn ugly--happened this week. Who needs that stuff? So many bad tempers out there these days. And I especially love the work in keeping politics out. In a dreadfully contentious time, this has been heroic work. This forum is about the only place I can come for civility these days. Bravo!

I can now see where a thread might have gone south and closed from the last time I read it and without seeing the deleted posts I would have no idea why and would think it was closed too early. Good to know... thanks.

Reactions: W2R
It used to be that how far political discussion would be allowed to run would be dependent on the direction the politics were leaning. So far I haven't seen that at all in the current iteration of mods.
Lurked on this board many years before I registered and started posting. To be fair to the mods of the past, I think they did a great job too. It would "seem" that some mods today will pull the trigger much sooner than others and some threads that I feel should be shut down continue to run. But clearly it's their call and a thankless j*b in most cases. Overall I'd still give them all an A when compared to some of the other boards I frequent.

Lurked on this board many years before I registered and started posting. To be fair to the mods of the past, I think they did a great job too. It would "seem" that some mods today will pull the trigger much sooner than others and some threads that I feel should be shut down continue to run. But clearly it's their call and a thankless j*b in most cases. Overall I'd still give them all an A when compared to some of the other boards I frequent.

A+

I'll thank the mods again too. No way to please everyone, they get closer here than most other forums I've seen.

I enjoy politics, though I refrain here, and last week I jumped into a political sub-forum elsewhere hoping to get other POV's - yes, I knew full well what would happen. But I lasted an hour-and-a-half, it was exhausting. Unfortunately 95% of participants are so partisan, and so uninformed, it's pointless. And the posts hit so fast it's hard to keep up. And it's a forum that's otherwise interesting and useful (city-data).

It's nice to be back here. I wish we did have a little more latitude on politics here, because I think the discussion would be more productive, respectful and thoughtful. But I realize it's a VERY slippery slope, and pleasing everyone would be [-]even more difficult than any other sub-forum[/-] impossible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom