Mona Lisa Cake Attack

Thank goodness they put it behind bullet proof glass. Probably should do that with some other famous paintings as letting people get too close is just accepting that someday a person will ruin it.

I get the magical feeling, I was in a museum in Kansas and there were some great paintings there (and other things) and I could get within inches of some fine paintings. It was really nice, but I thought some idiot will just reach out and touch the painting or worse.

I hate to say it but this just doesn't surprise me all that much. My mom would have said "consider the source." YMMV

Thank goodness they put it behind bullet proof glass. Probably should do that with some other famous paintings as letting people get too close is just accepting that someday a person will ruin it.

I get the magical feeling, I was in a museum in Kansas and there were some great paintings there (and other things) and I could get within inches of some fine paintings. It was really nice, but I thought some idiot will just reach out and touch the painting or worse.
At least when I saw it at the Louvre around 1970, you could get within inches of the Mona Lisa, although it’s been behind glass since the 50’s. I was surprised we could get so close, I expected there would be rails to keep us away but when we got to it, there it was right on the wall for anyone to see close up. There weren’t guards apparent either, though maybe they were discreetly watching everyone.

At least when I saw it at the Louvre around 1970, you could get within inches of the Mona Lisa, although it’s been behind glass since the 50’s. I was surprised we could get so close, I expected there would be rails to keep us away but when we got to it, there it was right on the wall for anyone to see close up. There weren’t guards apparent either, though maybe they were discreetly watching everyone.

ca 1964 I stood in front of the Mona Lisa. I wanted to use a flash but someone quickly appeared and indicated flash photography was not permitted. My buddy tried to set up his tripod for a time-lapse and another person showed up to indicate that was only allowed with prior approval - including a permit. SO, maybe you don't see them but the guards are there. I suppose the clown throwing the cake was thwarted by the built-in protections of the priceless painting. YMMV

... I get the magical feeling, I was in a museum in Kansas and there were some great paintings there (and other things) and I could get within inches of some fine paintings. It was really nice, but I thought some idiot will just reach out and touch the painting or worse.

Oh, that reminds me. Would have been about 1973, I took a girl to the Art Institute in Chicago. I stopped to admire Picasso's "The Old Guitarist",

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/28067/the-old-guitarist

I guess I learned of it in my High School Art Appreciation class, but there was something about that painting that just really grabbed me. And there is a story about how it was painted over another painting.

There was a rope divider, but you could pretty much get your nose right up to the painting. So I'm telling my date about it, and she says "This is a Picasso? He painted it? This very painting?" "Yes!", and she reaches out to touch it! I was mortified, but managed to calmly stop her, and say something calm enough to not create a scene, or make her hate me!

She meant no harm, she was just sort of naive about stuff like that, a very sweet girl. But we might have been close to having security throw us to the floor and handcuff us!

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom