Monday 3-9-2020 will be interesting...

For those who are accumulating and 100% equities, do you regret at all being 100% equities right now and not having 6,10,15% cash to be able to start piling in at much lower prices?

On this forum, there are only a few of us 100%'ers that actively post. And add accumulating and the number we are speaking to is even smaller, but I will play.

My answer is NO. Since I began tracking 7 years and 3months ago I am still up over 294%.

So 294 / 7 = 42%. I'll keep my 42% average annual returns and ride this wave like a pro surfer!

Live without regret.

On this forum, there are only a few of us 100%'ers that actively post. And add accumulating and the number we are speaking to is even smaller, but I will play.

My answer is NO. Since I began tracking 7 years and 3months ago I am still up over 294%.

So 294 / 7 = 42%. I'll keep my 42% average annual returns and ride this wave like a pro surfer!

Live without regret.

The secret sauce (over the long run) is compounding through reinvesting the dividends.

Since I began tracking 7 years and 3months ago I am still up over 294%.

Are you saying your investments are worth almost 3 times what they were 7 years, 3 months ago? If so, that's a 16% average annual return.

If 42% is the correct number, then I am missing something in the math.

For those who are accumulating and 100% equities, do you regret at all being 100% equities right now and not having 6,10,15% cash to be able to start piling in at much lower prices?

Nah, I don't. This bull market went on for so long. There is no way I'd have the patience to sit on cash for year after year. I'd rather just invest it as soon as I get it. I figure it will average out over time.

100% equities guy here checking in. YES it was an absolute bloodbath out there today, now down over 20% from my recent high on 2/19/20.

I'm close to 100%, but I like to delude myself by focusing only on the dividends. So, far my self-delusions are working. :cool:

I'm perfectly fine with my 100% stock portfolio! :hide:

Hope you are kidding about being so lazy. I used to make examples out of loafers when taking on a new department - up to firing for cause (without package).

Actually sounds kinda like the last few years of my career. There were "pushes" and slack periods at my Megacorp job. I surfed the web a lot during the slack periods. Sure I could have accomplished more, but I did what was asked of me, continued to bring in customer money and got good reviews from management up until I pulled the plug at 55. Plenty of dead wood on that corporate tree never gets pruned.

Most folks know their own work situation better than we do, and I don't think we should dump on them because their work ethic doesn't measure up to another's standard.

100% equities guy here checking in. YES it was an absolute bloodbath out there today, now down over 20% from my recent high on 2/19/20.

I would disagree with bloodbath. 10 % from recent peak , down about 6 % from year ago.

Want a bloodbath ? try 1987. To me 40-50 % is a bloodbath.

The media hype is troubling. A news story on the financial media stating the NYSE " circuit breaker was activated to stop the decline " IIRC , the "circuit breaker" was created to facilitate order flow with the systems existing in the era. I would bet the author was not yet born at that time.

If 42% is the correct number, then I am missing something in the math.

You're missing the fact that 42 is the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything". You're just asking the wrong question.

You're missing the fact that 42 is the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything". You're just asking the wrong question.

And it is 42 years since it was first broadcast on BBC radio on March 8, 1978. The BBC are rebroadcasting that original series.

I thought I asked a straightforward question, but it appears I am wrong. That or I guess I just wasn't in the mood for the sarcasm today.

If anyone would like to go back to post #79 and tell me why I am wrong (or right), I would greatly appreciate it.

The Dow dropped to 6,469.95, but that was in March 2009, not 2008.

Rode it out then. Probably will again. Main retirement has been full auto Target Retirement 2015 since 2006. Investing since 1966 I should, I say should be a seasoned investor by now.

:rolleyes: I did notice this weekend that Costco has more options for men's briefs than just white! :LOL: :LOL::facepalm:

heh heh heh - so my Bogle cheer is 'stay the course', hurry up just stand there and balanced index wins the day. I'm not required to act on my own nerves. :cool:

OK, with my conservative AA, today I lost 3.0% of yesterday's portfolio+bank accounts total (down a total of 5.8% since my all time high on 2/14).

Whew. That wasn't so bad. I wonder what the rest of the week will be like. :popcorn:

I have been reminding myself that the market goes up, then down, then up, then down, etc. The idea being that in order to go up it has to go down for a little while.

Or, you just regard the stock market as an "uphill" roller coaster. If you draw a straight line through all the peaks and valleys, it is up and only the angle varies. This too shall come to pass.....

I think it's a great time to buy right now...just have to figure out WHAT to buy. I think things that are "everyday" needs are pretty good bets. I don't buy individual stocks, but if I did I'd be looking at consumer staples items...think P&G, 3M, stuff like that.

I'd avoid any travel stocks right now, and some luxury items. I would also avoid tech in the short term.

I think it's a great time to buy right now...just have to figure out WHAT to buy. I think things that are "everyday" needs are pretty good bets. I don't buy individual stocks, but if I did I'd be looking at consumer staples items...think P&G, 3M, stuff like that.

I'd avoid any travel stocks right now, and some luxury items. I would also avoid tech in the short term.

You might want to think about staying away from the oil & gas sector also.

OK, with my conservative AA, today I lost 3.0% of yesterday's portfolio+bank accounts total (down a total of 5.8% since my all time high on 2/14).

Whew. That wasn't so bad. I wonder what the rest of the week will be like. :popcorn:

I have been reminding myself that the market goes up, then down, then up, then down, etc. The idea being that in order to go up it has to go down for a little while.

Wow almost identical to me. I am down 5.9% since 2/14 (actually my portfolio peaked on 2/12). I lost less than 3% today.

I was over 70% in equities 2 weeks ago and have "legged down" (is that the term?) since that 1st 1000 point loss day. I went into my account and just started clicking sell sell sell everywhere. I just kept slicing and dicing and always just in time. Now I am probably about 20% equities.

The thing is, now I don't know what to do (open to suggestions). That 5.9% was a nice cushion for me. I have lost my cushion so going down much more begins to threaten the life style substantially. And I am already pretty frugal, not a big traveler or a dining out type. I just like to buy what I need/want without worry. And give my dog plenty of expensive treats every time I walk in a Tractor Supply Store. She doesn't understand the market at all and will wonder why I am coming out empty handed.

Going to sit tight for a while before I begin to leg back up. Although I am now thinking just a simple target date fund (with 2020 being the date since I am retired) and let it sit.

No more playing with my money. Getting tired of it all.

I am not ready to buy since I think we are in for more falls, but I was thinking title insurers might be worth looking at. In a refi boom they print money.

I thought I asked a straightforward question, but it appears I am wrong. That or I guess I just wasn't in the mood for the sarcasm today.

If anyone would like to go back to post #79 and tell me why I am wrong (or right), I would greatly appreciate it.

You're right, but lighten up, Francis. Obviously the original post was way off. If you started with $1000 and 7 years later you had $2940, no way you had a 42% annual return. The poster forgot to subtract their starting amount from the calculation, and didn't use compounding, just straight division.

You might want to check out some of Vanguard's dividend focused etfs:
US High Yield = VYM
Ex-US High Yield = VYMI
US Div Growth = VIG
Ex-US Div Growth = VIGI

or you can't really go wrong with a broad market index. I like the entire world stock market etf VT.

Maybe some covered calls? These are all pretty tax efficient.
QYLD for QQQ
HSPX for S&P 500
QQQX for a QQQ CEF version
SPXX for a S&P 500 CEF version

Preffered Stocks?
PFF has a 5.43% yield and about half is qualified dividends.

Municipal Bonds? You can find bargains in the CEFs, or just use an etf index of them like XMPT with a 3.89% yield, federal tax exempt.

Last edited:
Ok, looking at my stock watch list Wells Fargo looks juicy to me.

Div Yield of 5.50%.

Last year they bought back $24.5 billion for 11.60% of shares.

Forward P/E of 9.21.

Div Payout Ratio of 50.67.

5 year div growth rate of 7.30%.
1 year div growth rate of 17.07%.

Also, WFC makes up 8.87% of Warren Buffets portfolio. His 4th largest holding.

If Wells Fargo executives were smart, they would have waited to do their buybacks now.

Monday 3-9-2020 will be interesting...
And so shall Tuesday 3-10-1920. Futures up ~5%.

Back
Top Bottom