Monday 3-9-2020 will be interesting...

I am not ready to buy since I think we are in for more falls, but I was thinking title insurers might be worth looking at. In a refi boom they print money.

What have you looked at?

I really wish we could have a discussion on potential winners and losers as a result of the virus (and even ramifications if 3% of the population is 'culled'). I know it sounds morbid (and it is a bit). This is coming from someone in the danger zone, i.e. an older male with hypertension. However, the mod's closed out a thread I started on this topic (and directed it to the financial covid thread).

For example, I have a bunch of medical/medical device holdings. Things like Edwards LifeSciences (EW), Abbott Labs (ABT), Stryker (SYK), Abbvie (ABBV), Baxter (BAX), even some Merek (MRK) and Cardinal Helath (CAH). As a for instance, my fundamental analysis of Stryker is very positive due to our aging population and need for hip/knee/other replacement. However, many of these procedures can be delayed and will be if our hospitals are being overrun with virus cases, and a high death rate among seniors would also impact their future clients.

I've started to try to write down notes (at least in my head) on each of these holdings, but would love to see other's thoughts on potential investments (both pro and con). One of the best things of ER.org are some of the ideas I've gotten from others (and Brewer that definitely includes you) unlike many of the shrill investment sites.

My condolences to those that are retired already and are spending their retirement constantly thinking about the market ups and downs.

Let's see, came to work to start my 8 hour day. I will gross $550 today plus 401K match plus some vacation and sick hours. So basically $700 or so for 8 hours of (I guess they call it) work. Let's see, 7 emails with about 10 minutes of action items. Called DW. Called the repair shop regarding DD Sentra. Ate breakfast. Checked ER.org. Talked to coworkers for about 20 minutes. Walked over to the golf course and back. About 2 miles. Disinfected desk area. Sat in a meeting for about 15 miutes. Pretty cool subject. EMI testing on a product we are developing. Now back on ER.org. Ate lunch at desk. Just think, I could be at home on the computer obsessing about the market and my AA instead of being here making $. Meeting DW after work for dinner.

In all seriousness good luck to all of the retired folks out there who are worried about what is going on. I hope your plans are solid. Stay the course.
We will muddle on.

Woke up. Decided I didn't want to so rolled over for another half hour sleep. Then things got hectic! Turned on METV and had to help Perry Mason solve the Case of Whatever it Was. Run the washer and dryer. Get ready for the gym. There it goes off the rails - I have to help run The Ponderosa from an elliptical machine.

It never ends.

: So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past::

Well, a lot has changed financially in our household in the last couple of days. Ended up doing something I didn't do during the dot.com bust or the great recession - we did a major AA change in our retirement accounts from 45/55/0 to 20/50/30.

Holding was easy in 2001 and 2009. We were both working and piling as much money as possible into the market. Now, I'm retired (61) and DW works for a small oil company that is most likely doomed. Times have changed and DW was in a panic yesterday, so I did a major reallocation. YTD we were only down 4.8% at the end of yesterday, which basically puts us back to where we were Sept last year, but just not much of a gambler these days. I'm sure it will go straight up now that I sold half of our stocks, but it might not.

I think I'll wait until after this Coronavirus (and possible recession) is in the rear view mirror and dabble back to maybe 30% stocks.

Wow how about that, 10 year round trip in 2 days: from 0.79% to 0.45%, and then back to 0.78%. Never seen anything like that!

Last edited:
If Wells Fargo executives were smart, they would have waited to do their buybacks now.

No, they would have to be good market timers.

And it is generally agreed that it takes more luck than smart. :cool:

My condolences to those that are having to w*rk today. It's bad enough that it's Monday, but the all the fabulous news that's going on...oye, oye, oye!

When I was working during the previous downturn, I viewed the drop as a great opportunity to save more in the 401K, as shares were on sale. :dance:

Now I view it as losing money :mad:

But better than dying from the Covid-19 :)

Will be a bumpy ride for a long time, at least until we have a handle on how much this has actually spread in U.S. Maybe we'll have test kits by May? Should be a hoot after all these University kids get back from Spring Break.

Back
Top Bottom