Monthly charge for medicare

why put it off?
+100
I don’t see any reason to put it off. Heathy today, but we don’t know about tomorrow!
Well, the way I look at it, why should I pay 6 extra months of premiums? That's $500 bucks with medigap plus part D.

On the off-chance a symptom pops-up, I can apply without underwriting, but chances are very high that I'll simply pocket the $500.

What if something happened to incapacitate you, or both of you, up to the point where you need to pass underwriting? Not a gamble I’d want to take.

ETA: at least get a no/low cost Medicare Advantage plan to cover the unpredictable and switch to a supplement before the six months are up.

Last edited:
What if something happened to incapacitate you, or both of you, up to the point where you need to pass underwriting? Not a gamble I’d want to take.

ETA: at least get a no/low cost Medicare Advantage plan to cover the unpredictable and switch to a supplement before the six months are up.
That's just it. No matter what happens in the next six months, they're required to sell the policy at the base rate, with no underwriting. The only "gamble" is paying 20 percent of the doctor bills for the first month (before the medigap kicks in). As for if both of us are incapacitated, then we've got more to worry about than paying 20% of Part B for her (my ACA policy is unaffected).

Well, the way I look at it, why should I pay 6 extra months of premiums? That's $500 bucks with medigap plus part D.

On the off-chance a symptom pops-up, I can apply without underwriting, but chances are very high that I'll simply pocket the $500.

Just be careful with waiting until the last minute, because if you miss it due to different definitions, the penalty for being late with part D is forever.

We just got our AARP/UHC Medicare Supplement Plan G statement for the next year.

June 2022-May 2023 will be $228.84/mo. It's currently $224.37. The increase of $4.47 is just under 2%. We are in Ohio.

67 yr old female - $112.04/mo (increase of $2.16)
67 yr old male - $118.80/mo (increase of $2.31)
EFt payment discount - -$2.00/mo

We just got our AARP/UHC Medicare Supplement Plan G statement for the next year.

June 2022-May 2023 will be $228.84/mo. It's currently $224.37. The increase of $4.47 is just under 2%. We are in Ohio.

67 yr old female - $112.04/mo (increase of $2.16)
67 yr old male - $118.80/mo (increase of $2.31)
EFt payment discount - -$2.00/mo

May I ask, what was your first year on Medicare supplement plan G premium?

May I ask, what was your first year on Medicare supplement plan G premium?

First year was $219.46 for the first part of 2020, then $224.64 for the later part of 2020 through May 2021.

June 2021 through May 2022 has been $224.37.
June 2022 through May 2023 will be $228.84.

Do you need the cost for us individually? DH has to enroll through VIA Benefits to get his medigap because he gets an HRA. I enroll directly through AARP/UHC but we still get the combination bill. I think we also get a household discount but that is already reflected in the stated prices.

Last edited:
Just be careful with waiting until the last minute, because if you miss it due to different definitions, the penalty for being late with part D is forever.
Yes, I appreciate the warning. DW also was thinking the same thing. So for purposes of domestic tranquility, I've signed up "early" (that is, starting in May, when the birthday month was March and so March + six months would have been fine). The $7/mo part D won't break the bank, lol!

I have part G with Accendo (affiliated with Aetne/CVS). My first year premium last year was 105.37. This year it went up to 108.03.

I'm finally off IRMAA this year... :dance: It took some planning and life style changes/sacrifice (long story) but I was really tired of paying 4+ times as much for the same basic medicare insurance everyone else gets. :mad: Anyway, the DW and I now have a Medicare Advantage plan that is subsidized by my past employer along with good drug coverage. I pay a little under $500 mo for both of us. We can use any doctor and facility that accepts Medicare assignments (never found any that don't) and we have a max OOP of 3k a yr. Probably some better deals but I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom