Move money from Total Market Index to S&P 500 Index?

lsimpson33

Dryer sheet aficionado
Question: How do I figure out if it's worth it to sell my total stock market index fund shares and move them to a S&P 500 index fund (which has higher returns, even with fees)?

When I set-up my investment strategy, I set it up around a total stock market index fund (FZROX) vs. an S&P 500 index fund (FXAIX). I thought the fees would make FZROX a better option, but in reality I should have chosen the FXAIX. Whoops. Not a terrible whoops, but a whoops.

Between October 2018 and February 2019, I did a series of lump sum investments into FZROX. After that, I've done monthly investments into it. These monthly investments probably average around $6,400.

Current cost basis: 171,072.27
Current value: 218,532.41
Capital gains tax bracket: 15%
Income tax bracket: 24%
Years to FIRE: 9

I would choose a total stock market index fund over a S&P 500 fund, due to more diversification.

The total stock market fund is more diversified. Just because S&P 500 fund, which is concentrated in large cap companies, outperformed it during a time period doesn’t mean that it will in the near future. I think you should leave it alone and not chase minor performance differences.

When total market fund was new, I moved from SP 500 to total for the extra diversification.

Same here. I moved from the S&P500 to Total Stock funds a few years ago. They are so close in the majority of what they hold, it's almost a wash. Stay in Total and relax.

Diversification- Don't Invest Without It.

Yea, I agree, stay in the total market. IIRC, the total market funds are still mostly invested in the 500.

You haven't been invested very long. Things change, sometimes at the drop of a hat. Any hat.

An S&P 500 is a sector fund, investing in large cap US stocks. Recently that sector has been slightly stronger than the total US market and, in fact, stronger than the non-US international market.

Sectors come and go in popularity. If you are not familiar with the "quilt chart" I suggest that you study it and then decide for yourself whether you can predict which sectors will be future winners. (Hint: There is probably no one who can do that.) https://www.callan.com/periodic-table/

I would not make the change you're suggesting. I would, however, suggest that you consider adding international stocks to your portfolio. This sector comprises about 45% of the world's investable stocks. Here is a very short video by one of the academic experts on investing: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos/home-bias.aspx
Also, here is Vanguard's take: "Global equity investing:The benefits of diversification and sizing your allocation" https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGGEB.pdf

There is no "whoops" in your portfolio unless you consider your inability to precisesly predict the future to be a "whoops." Also, two years of investing history is not enough to assess a strategy. Ten years is closer to the mark, though some impatient people might be satisfied with five.

For reference, our money is invested worldwide via VTWAX.

Cover all the bases. Stay with the total stock market fund. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom