Moved into CCRC today

On the subject of Medicare Advantage...

DW has a Medicare Advantage plan through her state retirement. The documentation states that it is accepted as "in network" by anyone who takes medicare. We have lived in two different states, the one where she is retired from and now another. We have found it to be excellent coverage, always accepted as described, and she has (unfortunately) used it more than she would like. Open heart surgery, cancer surgery, chemo, broken bones, multiple rounds of PT, etc.

Based on my limited experience, I believe there are many medicare advantage plans, and don't think that one can paint them all with a broad brush..

Yes, you are missing something. Your wife is on a restricted membership, group Medicare Advantage plan. A group plan that is not available to the general public that was negotiated by her state pension folks. My DW is on one of those too and, like your DW, is having very satisfactory results. But, these plans are not available to the general public. Folks considering Medicare Advantage plans need to shop carefully and understand what they are getting since there is significant variation, one to the other, in the individual plans.

Last edited:
Yes, you are missing something. Your wife is on a restricted membership, group Medicare Advantage plan. A group plan that is not available to the general public that was negotiated by her state pension folks. My DW is on one of those too and, like your DW, is having very satisfactory results. But, these plans are not available to the general public. Folks considering Medicare Advantage plans need to shop carefully and understand what they are getting since there is significant variation, one to the other, in the individual plans.

I don't recall the rationale, but my Medicare/health care "Advocate group" or whatever quickly talked me out of Medicare advantage. I've forgotten the key points, but there were stark differences vs the alternative to "advantage." YMMV

I think we're veering of course when we start assessing the benefits of Medicare Advantage Plans vs. traditional Medicare plus supplemental plans. Here is how one CCRC, The Forest at Duke in the Research Triangle Area of NC treats medical insurance coverage. I hasten to point out that this CCRC might be atypical because of its strong affilation with Duke Medical Center, which appears to be the provider of medical services on campus at this CCRC. And Duke Medical is likely to be in-network for a lot of Medicare Advantage plans. Here's the language in their CCRC agreement with residents:

2. Health Insurance:

You shall maintain eligible Medicare coverage (and supplemental health insurance coverage) or health insurance coverage that adequately covers hospital, medical,prescriptions and skilled nursing deductibles and co-payments required under your primary insurance policy. Your primary and secondary insurance coverage must recognize The Forest as a healthcare provider, or you shall be responsible for services rendered that otherwise could be covered by insurance. You agree to furnish The Forest
with evidence of such coverage prior to the Date of Occupancy as stated in Exhibit A and also upon request. If your health insurance coverage lapses, The Forest may require you to reapply for suitable insurance coverage. If you are unable to obtain suitable insurance coverage, you shall be responsible for any healthcare services rendered that otherwise could be covered by insurance. Upon request by The Forest, you shall provide evidence of health
insurance coverage.

3. Medicare-Certified Skilled Nursing Facility Beds:
The Forest maintains a limited number of Medicare-certified beds in the skilled nursing facility, which are available for use by residents whose skilled nursing care would qualify for Medicare payment on an “if and as available” basis. In the event that you need admission and the admission would qualify for Medicare payment, then your financial responsibility to The Forest will depend upon the type of Medicare coverage you have and whether The Forest is a contractual provider for your coverage.

a) Medicare-certified bed is not available.
In the event that there is not a Medicare-certified bed at The Forest at the time you require admission, you may either choose to obtain skilled nursing care services at another healthcare facility at your cost until such time as a Medicare-certified bed becomes available at The Forest (presuming you would use a facility that could provide a Medicare-certified bed) or be admitted to a bed in the skilled nursing facility at your cost which is not certified to accept Medicare payment until such time as a Medicare certified bed becomes available at The Forest.

b) Medicare-certified bed is available and you have traditional Medicare.
If you are admitted to a Medicare-certified bed in the skilled nursing facility and you have traditional Medicare coverage, The Forest will accept the Medicare reimbursement amount of such care while you shall be responsible for any applicable deductible, co-payment and/or co-insurance amounts that are not paid by Medicare and any supplemental Medicare insurance that you maintain.Residence and Care Agreement The Forest at Duke

c) Medicare-certified bed is available and you have Medicare Advantage coverage for which The Forest is an in-network provider.

In the event that The Forest is an in-network provider for your Medicare Advantage coverage, then The Forest will accept the reimbursement amount from your Medicare Advantage insurance carrier while you shall be responsible for any deductible, copayment and/or co-insurance amounts that are not paid by the Medicare Advantage insurance that you maintain.

d) Medicare-certified bed is available and you have Medicare Advantage coverage for which The Forest is not an in-network provider.

The Forest will charge you the full private-payment amount for your admission into a Medicare-certified bed and credit against your financial obligation to The Forest the amount that is paid by your Medicare Advantage insurance if the insurance provides an out-of-pocket network benefit. In the event that your Medicare Advantage insurance will not pay any amount to an out-of-network provider, then you will not be admitted to a Medicare-certified bed at The Forest. A full private-pay resident in a Medicare certified bed may be required by The Forest to relocate to a bed that is not Medicare certified when such a bed becomes available.

Bottom line: read the fine print. Here's the website for this CCRC, which does not go into this detail. https://forestduke.org/

Well, I was notified that my preliminary application met the requirements of the CCRC I was interested in. VERY long way to go. I suppose the next step is to check with my financial adviser to see if he agrees. It's such a major step, in my mind like signing the rest of your life away. And yet, it has many plusses.

Update--we are slowly getting moved in and unpacking. I think things are looking a little cluttered and we may have to downsize some more. The staff here is so helpful, any little thing I ask about and they are here to help. For example, we just break down cardboard boxes and put them out side the door and someone picks them up everyday.

I am pleased to see there is extensive recycling of most anything you can think of. There is a large recycling room with containers for stuff like batteries, plastic bags, a shedder, etc.

I have some food allergies and met with the head chef for an hour yesterday and he went through the menus and marked every item so I will know what I can have. He is also willing to modify some recipes for me. I am suppose to email him every Monday so he can let me know the ingredients, etc of the weekly specials.

I attended the monthly Town Hall meeting and got an update on everything going on. One of the restaurants is closed and being remodeled. The internet system is being moved from Spectrum to in house because Spectrum is awful and too expensive. There are many charitable activities going on--food drives, clothing drives, weekly summer parties for the Boys and Girls Club.

One problem is arising with the long waiting lists. By the time some people get to the top of the list they are older and many cannot pass the cognitive test--30% of applicants are failing the cognitive test and are denied admission--WOW! Marketing is going to focus on getting people to sign up for the waiting list at a younger age.

One problem is arising with the long waiting lists. By the time some people get to the top of the list they are older and many cannot pass the cognitive test--30% of applicants are failing the cognitive test and are denied admission--WOW! Marketing is going to focus on getting people to sign up for the waiting list at a younger age.

Thx for the update Harley!

The quote above ought to get the attention of those considering CCRCs.

Devil's advocate here: We looked at one CCRC and they all but insisted we go ahead and get on the list. It was to our advantage, they said. Of course, it's to their advantage too as that means (often) younger people move in sooner and increase the average time until someone goes to the nursing facility (Having paid many more months of "care-free" living first.)

I understand the issues of waiting, but the CCRC is not being totally altruistic in "suggesting" getting on the list right away. YMMV

There are CCRCs that have Early Admission programs in which for a specified fee you gain admission to the CCRC but wait for permanent move into the CCRC while you age in place at your home, take in all the benefits and amenities of the CCRC, and avail yourself of any home care assistance that the CCRC would provide to any campus resident. And if your health goes sideways while aging-in-place you can be directly admitted to the skilled nursing facility at the CCRC!

The Forest at Duke, website posted upthread, has this Early Admission program as mentioned in its Disclosure Statement. If this program were available in our immediate area, we’d probably sign up at one of the CCRCs we’re waitlisted, though I suspect one of the CCRCs in our area which just developed a robust aging-in-place home care assistance program might be soon offering this.

Devil's advocate here: We looked at one CCRC and they all but insisted we go ahead and get on the list. It was to our advantage, they said. Of course, it's to their advantage too as that means (often) younger people move in sooner and increase the average time until someone goes to the nursing facility (Having paid many more months of "care-free" living first.)

I understand the issues of waiting, but the CCRC is not being totally altruistic in "suggesting" getting on the list right away. YMMV

We moved into our Type A property at 72--we were targeting 75 but having our choice of apt and early entry pricing, caused us to make the move. Probably more relevant was seeing a post how younger entries allows you to access all the benefit while young enuf to use and appreciate. The OP has done a fine job of sharing the array of new opportunities she has.

We moved into our Type A property at 72--we were targeting 75 but having our choice of apt and early entry pricing, caused us to make the move. Probably more relevant was seeing a post how younger entries allows you to access all the benefit while young enuf to use and appreciate. The OP has done a fine job of sharing the array of new opportunities she has.

Thanks! It seems to me that age 72 is the best age to move in.

There are CCRCs that have Early Admission programs in which for a specified fee you gain admission to the CCRC but wait for permanent move into the CCRC while you age in place at your home, take in all the benefits and amenities of the CCRC, and avail yourself of any home care assistance that the CCRC would provide to any campus resident. And if your health goes sideways while aging-in-place you can be directly admitted to the skilled nursing facility at the CCRC!

The Forest at Duke, website posted upthread, has this Early Admission program as mentioned in its Disclosure Statement. If this program were available in our immediate area, we’d probably sign up at one of the CCRCs we’re waitlisted, though I suspect one of the CCRCs in our area which just developed a robust aging-in-place home care assistance program might be soon offering this.

There is one CCRC in my town with the early admission program but the early admission program is now full and they are not even accepting people on the waiting list.

Why do you think so? Correct balance of not being too young but, also still qualifying? I think the average CCRC entry age is 81.

I've heard several times, including from CCRC representatives, that 80 is the most common entry age. Although I've talked with a few residents who moved in when they were still in their 60s, so it varies all over the place.

Anyone going into a CCRC, this is probably the test you will have to take (or something similar).

I get that every year when I go for my annual physical. The evaluation your PCP needs to fill out to satisfy some CCRC entrance requirements is much more involved, but this little test is a good simple example.

Anyone going into a CCRC, this is probably the test you will have to take (or something similar). Maybe Harilee or others could confirm.

https://www.carepatron.com/templates/mini-mental-state-examinations

You can practice for much of it, or at least not be tripped up by surprise.

I just completed a very similar test for a study I'm participating in at the local university. Apparently, I passed as I'm now a participant in the study.

The counting backwards from 150 by 7's was the most challenging part of the exam - to me.

An interesting side item: When I was perhaps 20 years younger, I took a similar test. One added test was a "grip-strength" test. A mechanical device was provided. Squeezing the device registered a score. I was nearly at the top. The guy checking me said I was way better than most and that boded well for my future cognition. Not sure why that would be but I'll buy it if you will.:cool:

I just completed a very similar test for a study I'm participating in at the local university. Apparently, I passed as I'm now a participant in the study.

The counting backwards from 150 by 7's was the most challenging part of the exam - to me.

An interesting side item: When I was perhaps 20 years younger, I took a similar test. One added test was a "grip-strength" test. A mechanical device was provided. Squeezing the device registered a score. I was nearly at the top. The guy checking me said I was way better than most and that boded well for my future cognition. Not sure why that would be but I'll buy it if you will.:cool:

IIRC - Peter Attia (longevity doctor) also looks at grip strength. When I fell and broke my dominant arm (so I could be really useful during our move) my grip strength was progressively measured during physical therapy. Luckily i had a wonderful therapist and she was able to get me additional sessions by showing my gradual improvement. (I continue to do the exercises she gave me to this day.)

The ability to open bottles and jars does not count! Obviously, YMMV.

If I were on a ten-year waiting list, I have no idea if I would be able to meet the requirements.

Last edited:

I believe they use grip strength as a proxy for overall strength and fitness. And the latter seems to be a good correlate for mental fitness.

IIRC - Peter Attia (longevity doctor) also looks at grip strength. When I fell and broke my dominant arm (so I could be really useful during our move) my grip strength was progressively measured during physical therapy. Luckily i had a wonderful therapist and she was able to get me additional sessions by showing my gradual improvement. (I continue to do the exercises she gave me to this day.)

The ability to open bottles and jars does not count! Obviously, YMMV.

If I were on a ten-year waiting list, I have no idea if I would be able to meet the requirements.

Yeah, I've twisted the pickle bottle until it broke a couple of times. No idea where my grip strength comes from as my w*rk and hobbies don't include such a w*rk out. My hands are a bit weird. My fingers are normal size but my palm (metacarpals) is (are) very long. Can't imagine that would predict good cognitive outcomes. YMMV

My doc started using the grip strength test last year as part of my annual checkup. It apparently has quite a good correlation with overall fitness.

My doc started using the grip strength test last year as part of my annual checkup. It apparently has quite a good correlation with overall fitness.

Heh, heh, then I'm the outlier as I'm not particularly fit at all. Must be my "monster-movie" hands. My j*b was at a desk. I don't w*rk out. I do my best to stay active, but not toward being "fit" as such.

Why do you think so? Correct balance of not being too young but, also still qualifying? I think the average CCRC entry age is 81.

One thing I liked about Harilee’s story is that she was young enough to decide that she would take off to her mountain cabin because the weather was too hot. You’re probably less likely to be able to quickly make that decision as you get older.

Also shows that you have choices. You’re not limited to living in the CCRC. You can still travel etc.

The average entry age at my CCRC is around 75. They have started marketing to the younger age group because of the long waiting list. They found that if someone waits until in their 80s they have a much harder time meeting the entry requirements, especially the cognitive test. About 30% of those applying cannot pass the cognitive test.

No, not similar to the test my CCRC gives--the test I had was longer (took about 20 minutes) and seemed much harder.

Sorta like Steve Martin's sobriety test??

Returning you now...

Back
Top Bottom