Moving Service Recommendations

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I will soon need to move the contents of a storage unit in Virginia (approx 1 bedroom size, think its 10 x15 or 10X 20, I forget) to Central Florida.

It's already packed, I just need to get it moved, about 30 boxes and 2 pieces of furniture.

My move-in date in Florida is open ended, so one of those services that will store it for you, then deliver later on, would be favorable.

I am the last one of my tribe to leave Virginia, so I'll need to hire local loaders or are those provided with the overall service?

Suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated. Any moving services you've had good luck with and find pricing competitive? THANK YOU.

Just a precaution for you. Get the insurance. And don't use Upack.

I used Upack in Tucson and thought the insurance was extra profit for the mover. Kind of like extended warranties. So didn't bite.

They had a staff that took the goods from my apartment and loaded it. I saw them load it and saw the truck with the goods neatly packed and secure. Very nice work.

When my stuff arrived on the other side of the country, and the local movers opened the truck, they were shocked. It looked like it had been tossed around. Boxes were opened and a lot of furniture was damaged. No way this could come from cross country moving. I suspect their crew at the local terminal in Tucson had some druggies that searched everyone's load for things worth selling.

I complained to Upack and their position was -"you should have bought the insurance. We can't take liability for your damage"

I'm sitting here in my living room looking at the coffee table that has nicked corners and the end table that has scratches etc. All high quality furniture I bought new.

Be careful.

I may be wrong but insurance won’t cover anything you pack or load yourself. It’s only useful if the mover and their subs did the packing and loading.

We did a move with Mayflower-United in 2019, some furniture and 99 boxes, we had one minor item damaged, and one small drywall repair from unloading - so we were thrilled. We shopped the majors and got it done for $2K+ less than Allied - not because one is cheaper than the other, it’s all about the volume booked on your route and your timing. If they’ve got trucks to fill for your route and time you’ll get a better price, that simple.

We packed stuff that wouldn’t break/didn’t matter and let them pack everything else. They did all the loading, transit and unloading. You can certainly pay less, but you’re risking more damage. If you don’t have anything you’re worried about damaging, by all means pay less. As usual, you get what you pay for...

Last edited:
We were researching this same thing when we got a contract on our house in Va and needed a move to Florida over the next few months. Unfortunately, lost our contract so curious to learn more.

What we learned was storage in rural VA was much cheaper than in Florida. We were going to get a 10x15 climate controlled and a smaller one if needed that wasn’t climate controlled. With all the humidity in Va, we need the climate control units!

I hope I never have to move again. I'm 72 and just not as capable of handling the physical and mental stresses of moving, as I was when younger.

If I do move again, my plan is to take no more than what will fit into my Toyota Venza. I would have an estate sale done to dispose of the rest of the contents of my home before selling it.

After arriving at my new home I'd stay in a motel briefly. While there, after getting the utilities and internet connected at the new house or condo, I'd start by ordering a bed and recliner to be delivered; once these arrived, I'd move in. Then I'd gradually order the delivery of whatever else I needed. I have great "stuff", but very little of it is irreplaceable.

This is a more expensive solution but I think it would be easier on me.

So I guess my suggestion is to consider whether you even want to move that stuff, or if you would be better off moving without it.

Why move it twice? Does it make sense to leave it in storage in VA until you are ready to receive it in FL? Moving it from storage in VA to storage in FL would incur 2x the load and unload expenses. They won't simply park the vehicle with you goods in it until you are ready to receive it. Surely you know somebody you trust in VA to supervise the loading when you are in FL. I think that is what I would do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom