Moving to an apartment in retirement

We moved from a very large older house with 5 acres to care for to a townhouse. The biggest difference was the amount of time that was freed up from not having to do maintenance. It was an adjustment to find things to do to keep busy (not bad just different). It seems that with owning a house there is a never ending list of projects. After 5 years, we bought a smaller house because we couldn't find a townhouse/apt that met our needs. Back to endless projects.

A timely Fidelity article about this: https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/personal-finance/rent-vs-buy

Key takeaways:

-Whether you buy or continue to rent can have important implications for both your finances and happiness.

-As you're weighing your decision, try comparing prices and rents in your area, and think about how long you'd likely stay in a home.

-If you're running the numbers, make sure you consider the full costs of ownership, such as maintenance, taxes, and insurance.

So after a blistering experience trying to secure an apartment in Maryland and Pennsylvania ( so we could be close to our grandkids) we have come up short. I guess our Midwestern needs are what have brought us to the consensus that those areas are much too busy for our lifestyle. We have (hopefully) secured an apartment in Michigan across town and will be moving starting next week. Then DW and I can re-evaluate where we want to land in the coming months. Covid has just made everything weird.
This is a tough time to move, and there's been a large outflow of people from close in to DC to places like Frederick, MD and Gettysburg, PA. I lived in Maryland for almost 30 years and have worked in the region you were looking in. The influence (and housing prices) of the DC area now extends 75 miles or more from the city, and includes parts of West Virginia.

Sometimes it is best not to force a transition that isn't working out, and reconsidering is probably a good plan.

There are apartments and there are apartments.

Big difference between a three or four story wood frame building and a concrete building.

Huge difference between a 2BR on the second floor and a 1500 sq apt with a fabulous view on the top floor or near the top floor of a hi rise concrete building.
Today's huge frame buildings scare the hell out of me. Chances of being displaced by a fire get too high once a building is bigger than about 50 units.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...09/20/avalon-fire-lawsuit-go-trial/677715001/

A friend (also an engineer) and I looked at one being built in Northern Virginia about 30 years ago, and agreed that we'd never be comfortable living in it.

All,

We found a home to rent for the same cost as the apartment we had reserved. An added benefit is that we will not need additional storage in a locker and will save on pet fees (we have an old cat). This gives us a needed pause to find an area that we would be comfortable to live in for the foreseeable future. The money we save by selling our home by ourselves easily covers the rent for the next year. Time to breathe!

That's good news for you!

... 9. Scraping ice & snow off the car in winter.

I had an apartment with external parking in NW Chicago during my first couple of years there. On the very coldest mornings, I would start my car a couple of times during the night so it would fire up nicely in the morning. What can I say? I was poor with an ancient Buick LeSabre - you do what you gotta do. :popcorn:

All my apartment living experience matched Walt34's (including someone keying my brand-new car in the parking lot), except for the 1200 square foot, sixth-story penthouse we rented when I worked in England. I had a housing allowance that paid most of the rent - the (very expensive) utilities were on us, but that was OK. There was a very nice garage down below, too.

The building was in the center of town, very near two bus routes to my work, and was full of elderly people who were quiet. Even if they hadn't been, the floors were concrete (and heated! Boy, did our cat love that). We were only vaguely aware, at times, of the weird couple underneath us who vacuumed at all hours.

1200 square feet seemed like it would be small, but it was so well laid-out, it felt roomy. We had stored most of our furniture but there was plenty of room for essentials.

The only issue, at times, was the single tiny elevator. When it not infrequently broke down, we had to trek up and down six flights. This was trifling to us back then but would be quite inconvenient nowadays.

Today's huge frame buildings scare the hell out of me. Chances of being displaced by a fire get too high once a building is bigger than about 50 units.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...09/20/avalon-fire-lawsuit-go-trial/677715001/

A friend (also an engineer) and I looked at one being built in Northern Virginia about 30 years ago, and agreed that we'd never be comfortable living in it.

Yep, I saw the results of that fire close up. Basically the fire ran between the attics of the dwellings.
It was devastating to look at in person.

Back
Top Bottom