Moving to San Antonio, TX

Not to pour hot water :) on your experience, but the first three weeks of July haven't been hot, they've been the coolest in the 35+ years we've lived here.

That said, hope your move goes well and you enjoy your new home. Let me know if you spot a chupracabra.

Edit to add: To illustrate how unusually cool July has been I did a quick comparison of the first three weeks of July 2021 vs 2020. This is why I said it hasn't been hot. :)

In 2020 the daily high ranged from 95 to 106 with an average high of 99.4
In 2021 the daily high ranged from 79 to 93 with an average high of 88.3.

Yes, I was pretty sure we got off lucky on our recent visit to SA!

Hello Y'ALL
Well we made it back from San Antonio and I have to say, we loved it. Weather was hot but we like that. After reading all the responses about the traffic, I would have to disagree. I drove all around San Antonio, Boerne and the I-10 corridor and farther, and, we really did not hit much traffic? That being said, we found a beautiful home off of I-10 in Boerne near the La Cantera area. Lovely restaurants and not far from historic Boerne. Prices of homes are outrageous like everywhere. We put in an offer on a 650K model home and they accepted 630K with all the furniture. It is just a matter of us selling our Virginia home which will give us 200K equity for the new home. Timing will be everything in these transactions indeed. Thanks again for all your inputs, we are looking forward to a new journey and we will keep you updated if everything materializes.
At first I thought you bought a house on the next street over from me. The house went on the market and sold to the first person to see it. Just one exit down from La Cantera. Good luck on your sale and move to SA. It is a very good area for just about everything you could want near your.

Not to pour hot water :) on your experience, but the first three weeks of July haven't been hot, they've been the coolest in the 35+ years we've lived here.

That said, hope your move goes well and you enjoy your new home. Let me know if you spot a chupracabra.

Edit to add: To illustrate how unusually cool July has been I did a quick comparison of the first three weeks of July 2021 vs 2020. This is why I said it hasn't been hot. :)

That is true, although compared to Virginia beach's Humidity, I would prefer the dryer heat.

If you get nostalgic for that heat + humidity you can always make the three hour drive over to Houston! That will definitely put into perspective 100 degree days in San Antonio.

That is true, although compared to Virginia beach's Humidity, I would prefer the dryer heat.

Oh don't worry...In San Antonio, you get the best of BOTH worlds. At night, the humidity pumps in from the coast and by the time the sun starts coming up, it's nice and muggy. Not to worry, around noon it will be 110 degrees in the shade and that will help to burn away all that pesky moisture in the air. :D Or...not, the current dew point in San Antonio is 70 degrees which makes it quite muggy..but at least it's not 79 like it is in Houston right now.

Oh don't worry...In San Antonio, you get the best of BOTH worlds. At night, the humidity pumps in from the coast and by the time the sun starts coming up, it's nice and muggy. Not to worry, around noon it will be 110 degrees in the shade and that will help to burn away all that pesky moisture in the air. :D Or...not, the current dew point in San Antonio is 70 degrees which makes it quite muggy..but at least it's not 79 like it is in Houston right now.

[emoji23]

NC statewide is 4.75% but counties add to that. The total for the county we have moved to is 6.75% total. Score again...

Wow, that is overall good. Since I am severely disabled I won’t pay the property tax and some other taxes as well. So that will help with the new mortgage cost lol

Thanks, with my disabilities the heat is much better than the cold cold weather. Titanium hips do not like the cold cold[emoji4]

I live in the far northwest of SA. I like to say I live on the first hill of the hill country. If I were moving to SA, anywhere in the hill country is a good place to settle. It doesn't take long to get just about anywhere in SA if you choose a good route and a favorable time of day. If I were to look, it would be NW of SA. The further west and north the better. Subdivisions off I-10 are growing fast so look farther out toward Kerville and west of I-10 in the hill country. As far as dinning in the area, I wouldn't worry about that. There are many really good and unique places hidden in the area. The more hidden, the better the food and atmosphere. I'm retired AF and getting to military facilities including hospitals isn't that difficult. As far as things to do, if you can't find something to do on a weekend in SA or local area, you have other problems that need to be addressed.

We chose a place just off of I-10 on the border of Boerne, just NW of San Antonio.

Good luck on pulling the plug and selling your home! I would highly suggest that you rent in the area for at least a year instead of buying asap. We moved from NJ to NM and rented for a year and a half. I am so glad we did that because where we ended up buying the home is very different from where we thought we wanted to live. Right now NM and TX are blowing up with people moving in....homes are high in demand, overpriced in some instances, with bidding wars.

Good luck on pulling the plug and selling your home! I would highly suggest that you rent in the area for at least a year instead of buying asap. We moved from NJ to NM and rented for a year and a half. I am so glad we did that because where we ended up buying the home is very different from where we thought we wanted to live. Right now NM and TX are blowing up with people moving in....homes are high in demand, overpriced in some instances, with bidding wars.

Understand and thanks . We have been heading to SA for years and so. we are good with the area we picked. Good advice though 👍

Understand and thanks . We have been heading to SA for years and so. we are good with the area we picked. Good advice though [emoji106]

Update on the move: Just signed a contract on the Virginia home (300k profit) after paying off current mortgage and realtor fee, and close the end of Sept and then close on the new Tx home 27 Sept. timing looks good. What a crazy housing market lol

Nice timing! Glad it all worked out for you.

Hello Y'ALL
Well we made it back from San Antonio and I have to say, we loved it. Weather was hot but we like that. After reading all the responses about the traffic, I would have to disagree. I drove all around San Antonio, Boerne and the I-10 corridor and farther, and, we really did not hit much traffic? That being said, we found a beautiful home off of I-10 in Boerne near the La Cantera area. Lovely restaurants and not far from historic Boerne. Prices of homes are outrageous like everywhere. We put in an offer on a 650K model home and they accepted 630K with all the furniture. It is just a matter of us selling our Virginia home which will give us 200K equity for the new home. Timing will be everything in these transactions indeed. Thanks again for all your inputs, we are looking forward to a new journey and we will keep you updated if everything materializes.

Update: Sold the home in Virginia beach (cleared almost 300K), now in the process of packing out and moving to an AirBnb for a 1 month, then 1 month with our Daughter (5 miles away), and lastly, to Las Vegas with our sons family for 1 month. New home in Boerne, TX will not be ready until mid Feb or beginning of March time frame. It will be hard being in limbo for five or so months. Oh yea, in the midst of all that, I will retire from my gov gig on 03 Dec. :dance: More to follow!

25 years or so in Austin and we’ll be retiring to a cooler climate. But instead of convincing you why not, here are some tips to handle it:
- Heat? Everything is A/C’d; enjoy a nearby lake or pool and the late fall, winter and early spring is amazing.
- Property Taxes - this is a tough one, but if in the budget no worries
- Tons of cultural things to do in both Austin and SA
- Boerne is a great location!

25 years or so in Austin and we’ll be retiring to a cooler climate. But instead of convincing you why not, here are some tips to handle it:
- Heat? Everything is A/C’d; enjoy a nearby lake or pool and the late fall, winter and early spring is amazing.
- Property Taxes - this is a tough one, but if in the budget no worries
- Tons of cultural things to do in both Austin and SA
- Boerne is a great location!

Yep… Already picked out a few fishing spots. Received the Deed on the new home and so just need to get down there after after my Dec 1 retirement and after the Christmas Holiday. (Staying with Son’s family in Vegas for holiday). -:)

We are considering moving to Texas when we retire in about 7 years. It will really just be a home base for our full time RV lifestyle though.

We are looking to avoid the large population areas and find a place that is safe and would allow us to build our barndominium. Reading through this thread has been helpful.

I was about to post a similar question, so glad I did a search first as this thread answered many questions. Currently live in Denver suburb and relocating back to Austin area for retirement. We've decided on Horseshoe Bay for our last home. Given the almost 4x profit expected on our upcoming current home sale, we've decided to buy a lot and build custom home with great view from the backyard. We have a trip planned next weekend to finalize offer on desired lot and to talk to custom home builders (going with builder that has ICF/net-zero experience). New custom home building lead times are 10-14 months out after signing contract, so we will rent until construction is done. Not sure yet where we will rent, but plan to look at a number of areas (HSB, Marble Falls, Burnet, Kingsland, Llano, Blanco, Wemberley, Spicewood, New Braunfels, Austin), but where ever it ends up being, we plan to really enjoy ourselves.

I was about to post a similar question, so glad I did a search first as this thread answered many questions. Currently live in Denver suburb and relocating back to Austin area for retirement. We've decided on Horseshoe Bay for our last home. Given the almost 4x profit expected on our upcoming current home sale, we've decided to buy a lot and build custom home with great view from the backyard. We have a trip planned next weekend to finalize offer on desired lot and to talk to custom home builders (going with builder that has ICF/net-zero experience). New custom home building lead times are 10-14 months out after signing contract, so we will rent until construction is done. Not sure yet where we will rent, but plan to look at a number of areas (HSB, Marble Falls, Burnet, Kingsland, Llano, Blanco, Wemberley, Spicewood, New Braunfels, Austin), but where ever it ends up being, we plan to really enjoy ourselves.
When we were in Austin, August time frame there seemed to be more homeless on the street vice when we were there in 2018. That being said, hill country is nice. Beorne, TX kind of grew on us. Enjoy.
On another note, new construction is challenging, we have been waiting 10 months now and getting anxious. Less than 40 days till retirement ��

Maybe a bit further outside San Antonio, but Kerrville is a nice area if you want a bit more land.

When we were in Austin, August time frame there seemed to be more homeless on the street vice when we were there in 2018. That being said, hill country is nice. Beorne, TX kind of grew on us. Enjoy.
On another note, new construction is challenging, we have been waiting 10 months now and getting anxious. Less than 40 days till retirement ��

Yeah, homelessness is getting god awful here in Denver too. Our suburb has historically not had this issue, but now has people living in their cars or camping in tents. Getting worse now that rent evictions are being allowed again.

Never been to Boerne. Have heard good things about it. Will have to check it too. Congrats on upcoming ER! Still remember the day when I walked out of megacorp nearly 3 years ago and how wonderful it felt.

Hi.... Long time contributor and fan of this knowledge base :). Here is the situation:
DW and I thinking of moving to San Antonio, Tx area...Specifically New Braunfels.
Background: I am 61 and DW is 67 we have been in San Antonio some 4 years back and liked it, and we were supposed to go visit the area last year; although, COVID was bad then and so we had the scheduled changed until 19th of July this year. So, we are set to go as scheduled. Speaking with our real estate agent in New Braunfels, he had mentioned that homes are now in the high 500's or low 600's :-(. DW has a brother in San Antonio and we liked the area some years back and we loved the view of the hills and so forth .
We are ready to pull the plug on working here in Virginia by this Dec 31st with nice pensions and SS income being over 10K monthly and over 1-MM in investments.
All that being said, looking for any advice for moving in this area to really focus on? Obviously we want a little land that we are not constantly maintaining, and, not right next to our neighbor but at the same time, not 30 min from restaurants or hospitals either?

It is all so overwhelming, because we have to sell our home in Virginia first which should be quick; however, need to find a temporary place to live while the home is getting built if we go that route.
I guess we are just asking if anyone lives in that area and has some advise or recommendations of where to move too.
Bottom line, we enjoy Virginia, although for several reasons we would like to move to Tx
Thanks so much!!!!

Final Update: Well, I retired yesterday from the Federal Govt. So now DW and I are finally complete. I am 61, although might not seem really early but we are happy about our situation. With 7 guaranteed streams of income and then of course the investments we are well over 150K annually. It took a lot of sacrifice for a military family but we did it :dance:
Left Virginia Beach yesterday and should in the "Big Easy" by late this afternoon, then in Boerne, TX by tomorrow afternoon.
Since I am a disabled Vet, I need to turn in our disabled veterans application, although need to get our new Texas Drivers License first :). Once all complete we will fly out to Las Vegas mid month to stay with Son and 6 yr old Grand-baby for the holiday.
As stated prior by many, I give our thanks for all the great posts over the years who had given us a lot of knowledge and things to ponder. All the best to the retirees and those who will be in 2022. I will be following you all in the future once we settle in our new home.
All the best

Congratulations! What an exciting adventure you have in store. Have a great time moving to Texas and beginning on your long-awaited retirement. :D

Final Update: Well, I retired yesterday from the Federal Govt. So now DW and I are finally complete. I am 61, although might not seem really early but we are happy about our situation. With 7 guaranteed streams of income and then of course the investments we are well over 150K annually. It took a lot of sacrifice for a military family but we did it :dance:
Left Virginia Beach yesterday and should in the "Big Easy" by late this afternoon, then in Boerne, TX by tomorrow afternoon.
Since I am a disabled Vet, I need to turn in our disabled veterans application, although need to get our new Texas Drivers License first :). Once all complete we will fly out to Las Vegas mid month to stay with Son and 6 yr old Grand-baby for the holiday.
As stated prior by many, I give our thanks for all the great posts over the years who had given us a lot of knowledge and things to ponder. All the best to the retirees and those who will be in 2022. I will be following you all in the future once we settle in our new home.
All the best

Back
Top Bottom