Munich Recommendations?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

Been rewickering our trip for April-May 2022. We start in Porto, Portugal from 20 April, with stops with friends here and there as we make our way by car down to Lisbon, arriving around 10 May.

Our friends then head back to the US, but we wanted to spend some time in Germany - just a few days, so, given the various routings available from United (have some status) we thought Munich would be fun.

We can burn some Marriott points and stay in Munich with the five nights for four nights points - pretty good deal. Anyone have recommendations for the Marriotts in Munich or other places they really liked?

We were considering staying in town Munich with this approach, and doing day trips - probably Salzburg, Stuttgart (Porsche museum), Neuschwnstein Castle, the usual beerhalls, etc.

Appreciate your thoughts!

We really enjoyed Munich, plenty to do there, but we stayed 2 nights in Füssen for Neuschwanstein Castle plus several other worthy sights, and stayed 5 nights in Salzburg which is absolutely fabulous, and even more to do. Both are a bit far for day trips IMO - the day will be cut in half by travel alone, then not much time to do stuff when you get there.

Munich has the BMW museum.

One daytrip I can recommend is a visit to Dachau concentration camp. It was a very sobering experience. DW went to Neuschwanstein Castle but the town there was off season. None of the local shops were open. Lots of things to do in and around Marienplatz.

Stay in Füssen. Youll have a great time. But no Marriot I'm aware of.

If you stay in Munich, I’d second the suggestion to visit Dachau. Heart-wrenching but such an important piece of history everyone should see.

I lived in Salzburg for a year many years ago( so my opinion may be outdated) but I too would opt to spend more days there than in Munich. Even back then….to me Munich was just a “big city” while Salzburg had that “small German town” feel to it. The “old town” area is wonderful and there’s lots to do nearby (catacombs, salt mines, Mirabell Gardens, Domplatz, Getreidegassse, Augustinerbrau, Schloss Hellbrunn and of course, the Festung). You can still get to Neuschwanstein easily enough from Salzburg, and if time permits, I’d suggest a trip to Berchtesgaden to visit Hitlers Eagles Nest. The bus ride up isn’t for the faint of heart.

You could then easily get to Munich for your flight home.

Enjoy your trip regardless of where you go! Loved the area and kept hoping I’ll get back some day.

Salzburg has to the the most beautifully situated city I have ever seen - on that river curving through the mountains. Just magical!

I recommend walking the trail along the edge of the Mönchsberg that overlooks the river.

Very much recommend visiting Schloss Hellbrunn from Salzburg - half day trip or so with convenient bus ride.

Last edited:
It would be nice to spend a few days in the Munich center city. But you'd have to deal with parking your rental car--$ $ $--if you're wanting to do day trips. There's a lot to see inside the city, including the downtown royal palace and great museums. Needless to say, the beer hall scene is sometimes a sight to see.

We enjoy flying into Munich, and taking a counterclockwise circle over to Fuessen, Andechs (great beerhall), Garmisch and down to Innsbruck. Then we'll do the day trips out of Innsbruck into the very scenic Alps. Our favorite route is over the Grossglockner High Alpine Highway south of Zell-am-See down to Northern Italy.

Then we'll end up in Salzburg for a few days and drive the 2 hours back into Munich before returning home.

Recently we stayed at the Hotel Blaue Gams, in Ettal, by Garmish-Partenkirchen. It overlooks a 700 year old Benedictine monastery. We really enjoyed staying in the countryside, rather than a big city like Munich. It's on a hillside and you can hear the sheep grazing the hillside and chiming their neckbells while doing that. And it's near Fussen and the alp foothills.

It's been awhile since I lived in Munich, but if you like American hotels, the Hilton at the English Garden is a gorgeous spot in the Spring. You're right on the edge of the park near the Chinese Tower and it's a short walk thru the park to Schwabing and the University area.

I agree with all of this, based on a 2-3 days in each in 2009.

If you stay in Munich, I’d second the suggestion to visit Dachau. Heart-wrenching but such an important piece of history everyone should see.

I lived in Salzburg for a year many years ago( so my opinion may be outdated) but I too would opt to spend more days there than in Munich. Even back then….to me Munich was just a “big city” while Salzburg had that “small German town” feel to it. The “old town” area is wonderful and there’s lots to do nearby (catacombs, salt mines, Mirabell Gardens, Domplatz, Getreidegassse, Augustinerbrau, Schloss Hellbrunn and of course, the Festung). You can still get to Neuschwanstein easily enough from Salzburg, and if time permits, I’d suggest a trip to Berchtesgaden to visit Hitlers Eagles Nest. The bus ride up isn’t for the faint of heart.

You could then easily get to Munich for your flight home.

Enjoy your trip regardless of where you go! Loved the area and kept hoping I’ll get back some day.

I LOVE Munich- went there on business, came back with DH.

I see Mike's Bike Tours is still in business. They had an easy ride on simple bikes with coaster brakes, English-speaking guide with a great sense of humor, went through the English Garden and other spots and ended up at a beer garden. It was a slow, easy ride, pretty level, so you don't need to be an athlete.

Der Alte Pinakothek is the art museum with all the classical works (der Neue Pinakothek, which I haven't visited, is modern art) is worth a visit to see the Durer portrait of Christ which is believed to be Durer's self-portrait.

I second the recommendation for Salzburg- really beautiful city. DH and I kept our room in Munich but paid for an overnight in Salzburg and took a few overnight things in a backpack. We also did a day trip to Luxembourg. One more country to add to the list!

Munich...It's been five years since my visit, but I still think about the schmalznudel from Cafe Frischhut. So good :D

Great stuff - thank you, All.

So, thoughts on this itinerary (given we are going to be ending a river cruise in September 2022 in Lucerne and are planning to stay over for a few days in the area to the southwest of Munich):
- Day1 (10 May) arrive from LIS at MUC, take bus to Salzburg
- Day 2 (11 May) Salzburg (see the town on foot or tour)
- Day 3 (12 May) Salzburg (Berchtesgaden)
- Day 4 (13 May) take train to Munich (some time at each location, park, beerhall evening)
- Day 5 (14 May) Munich (bus to Dachau, walkabout evening in Munich)
- Day 6 (15 May) metro to MUC for departure

We could stay an extra day in Munich prior to departure?

This is easy to do without a car - anyone think we need one given the above?

Specific place to stay in Salzburg? I've stayed at the Hilton in Munich and it was well located.

Edit - it looks like the closest Hilton to Old Town is the one one the south end of the English Park, right? Still about a mile from Marienplatz and the central beer halls/gardens? Better to find hotel in Old Town? Looked further and would be very easy to train in and out by staying very near train station - we prefer to walk when possible, but not too far :)

Last edited:
Sorry about this dragging on - based on some of your recommendations I think we're going to stay in Salzburg for 3-4 nights, then extend trip to stay in Munich for 3 nights.

Salzburg is more complicated to determine where to stay - without a car, preferably walkable? Can anyone provide some recommendations? We plan to arrive by bus from Munich Airport, but depart by train back to Munich.

Thanks!

I almost forgot- the Stadtmuseum in Munich. It's focused on science but has a telescope that belonged to one of the famous astronomers (Brahe?) and, my favorite, a homely little aircraft powered by motorcycle engines that an engineer built with his son, planning to fly from East Germany to freedom in West Germany. It looked like it would barely hold the 4 family members. They were discovered before they could flee and at the trial someone testified that it really was air-worthy. They were convicted but eventually were able to move to West Germany.

my 2 cents:
Skip the Hofbrauhaus in Munich and head for what used to be (and may still be) a local hangout, the Schneider Weißbräuhaus. Get the WeissBeir. Just around the corner from HB.
The salt mine tour at Salzbergwerk berchtesgaden was a great experience for me in Jan 2018.
In Salzburg don't walk up to the Hohensalzburg. Take the tram. Best 4 euros you'll ever spend. Do take the full tour of the fortress.
In Salzburg the Sound of Music tour is nice - a bit expensive, but nice. My DD and I did our own tour as we had a car. The tour operator's bus was full when we asked, so he pulled out a map and showed us what to do by ourselves.
We also stayed in Golling, so I can't help on hotels in S'burg other to say the city is quite compact and flat. You can stay on either side of the river and be just fine. Personally, I'd look for a local place like Hotel Stadtkrug instead of a US brand or a chain hotel. More authentic experience, nice breakfast, maybe a small bar in the hotel.
Have a great trip!

Sorry about this dragging on - based on some of your recommendations I think we're going to stay in Salzburg for 3-4 nights, then extend trip to stay in Munich for 3 nights.

Salzburg is more complicated to determine where to stay - without a car, preferably walkable? Can anyone provide some recommendations? We plan to arrive by bus from Munich Airport, but depart by train back to Munich.

Thanks!

Yes, Salzburg is very walkable. We managed by train alone, and had a hotel near the river. They also have a frequent bus system, and we took a bus out to Schloss Hellbrunn.

In Munich I think we enjoyed the Residenz museum the most, plus exploring the old town/downtown including the market (Munich Viktualsmarkt), and also the Nymphenberg summer palace a short bus ride from downtown. That was great extensive park and unique “small palaces”.

We actually enjoyed visiting the Hofbrauhaus, really as a (personal) walking tour exploring the three stories. We didn’t drink there. The inside painting on walls and ceiling was great - also interesting people watching. Got some great pictures. For beer garden - liked the one near the main train station the best (Augustiner-Keller) and so glad I ordered the Bavarian duck!

We stayed at the Platzl hotel which was a great downtown location and we loved the hotel.

Last edited:
I cannot visit Munich without having afternoon coffee and cake at Cafe Luitpold, Brienner Str. 11.
Try the Luitpold cake, it is a piece of heaven.

We stayed at the Platzl hotel which was a great downtown location and we loved the hotel.

That's also my favorite place to stay in Munich. The most magnificent breakfast buffet anywhere in Germany!

In the nice weather, the biergarten in the Englischer Garten is a wonderful spot and the walk to it is delightful. I also second the Viktualienmarkt for both people watching and amazing food displays.

That's also my favorite place to stay in Munich. The most magnificent breakfast buffet anywhere in Germany!
That was a nice surprise for us!

One of the hidden delights of the Platzl Hotel is the Moorish Kiosk, a spa inspired by King Ludwig’s Arabian fantasies at the Linderhof. We walked through it one morning after breakfast - it was unoccupied so we leisurely explored and took lots of pictures.

csm_hotel_erholungundfitness__2__c19c34cb56.jpg

Last edited:
Walking back to the Platzl hotel we kept walking past this place with a big schweinshaxe rotisserie in the window and smelling so good. We did eventually eat some, but later in our trip - at the Augustiner Bräu in Salzburg, a traditional monastery brewery with a huge “Braustüberl” restaurant. It’s on top of the Monchsberg and a nice destination for our Monchsberg hike.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom